What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old School Special Effects.

nöyd

Staff member
Same seller has a VHS copy of Nightmare on Elm St. for over $200.

Ludicrous. Top movie but no way I would pay that much for old tech.

Mark B

Juniors
Underrated Tarantino flick, I must have watched it at the same time as you. My missus walked past the lounge and said "what is this?" when Cheech was giving his little spiel outside the Titty Twister, I replied by simply saying "stick around and watch what happens next" lol

Savini is the gore king yes, Friday the 13th part IV was beyond anything created before or since (in the franchise that is). He was also in the original Maniac and did the FX (the remake with Elijah Wood is really really bad), the most memorable scene for mine was Savini himself getting his head blown off with a shotgun through a windshield. Classic 70's gore.

You did. Cheech Marin is a classic in this flick. “We got a new category. Apple pie pussy.”

horrie hastings

First Grade
I've got one of those combo VHS/DVD recorder machines so I can burn VHS tapes to disc. If someone on here wants to buy the one on ebay I would gladly pay them for a copy of it to help offset the cost.

I had one of those VHS/DVD players but it died. Have a very cheap Blu Ray DVD player now and every disc that i recorded off VHS onto disc on the old combo player comes up with a error message when i play them on the cheap Blu Ray player, it plays the disc to a certain point then spits it out saying the disc is damaged but then you put it back in and it plays from the spot where it stopped, it does this at least 4 or 5 times but you can still watch the whole disc but its stop start and frustrating. Have another DVD player in the bedroom and havent checked whether the same thing happens on there.

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Bench
I had one of those VHS/DVD players but it died. Have a very cheap Blu Ray DVD player now and every disc that i recorded off VHS onto disc on the old combo player comes up with a error message when i play them on the cheap DVD player, it plays the disc to a certain point then spits it out saying the disc is damaged but then you put it back in and it plays from the spot where it stopped, it does this at least 4 or 5 times but you can still watch the whole disc but its stop start and frustrating. Have another DVD player in the bedroom and havent checked whether the same thing happens on there.
That would be very annoying. I bought a good quality Blu Ray player as I've got Blu Rays from all round the world and I wanted one that would play them all. I haven't tried too many of the discs that I recorded VHS tapes on to, but the ones I have played just fine. Have you tried copying those discs onto other discs? Maybe that might work.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That would be very annoying. I bought a good quality Blu Ray player as I've got Blu Rays from all round the world and I wanted one that would play them all. I haven't tried too many of the discs that I recorded VHS tapes on to, but the ones I have played just fine. Have you tried copying those discs onto other discs? Maybe that might work.

Haven't tried that, i had an apparently good Blu Ray player when i bought the new system but the Blu Ray player died a week after the warranty expired :(, it was a Pioneer, ended up buying a cheap one from JB Hi Fi and it hasn't missed a beat apart from these discs i mentioned. It plays Region A and B Blu Rays, haven't tried region C as i don't have any but plays all my region 1 DVD's also.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Haven't tried that, i had an apparently good Blu Ray player when i bought the new system but the Blu Ray player died a week after the warranty expired :(, it was a Pioneer, ended up buying a cheap one from JB Hi Fi and it hasn't missed a beat apart from these discs i mentioned. It plays Region A and B Blu Rays, haven't tried region C as i don't have any but plays all my region 1 DVD's also.
I had a similar problem with an old DVD player so I copied a couple of the discs onto new discs and they played fine. Being Blu Ray I don't know if it will work for you but it's worth a shot.

horrie hastings

First Grade
I had a similar problem with an old DVD player so I copied a couple of the discs onto new discs and they played fine. Being Blu Ray I don't know if it will work for you but it's worth a shot.

Actually haven't tried them on the player in the bedroom, i know they play in there but haven't watched them all the way through to see whether the error occurs, most are just old football games which have been copied over, actually think it may be just a fault with the player in the lounge room as i have watched the discs in full on the previous player in the lounge room with no problems before it died.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Actually haven't tried them on the player in the bedroom, i know they play in there but haven't watched them all the way through to see whether the error occurs, most are just old football games which have been copied over, actually think it may be just a fault with the player in the lounge room as i have watched the discs in full on the previous player in the lounge room with no problems before it died.
The other option if the discs keep playing up is to convert them to .avis. As they are something you can't just go out and replace that might be the way to go. Most TVs nowadays you can stick a thumb-drive or external drive straight in and the TV will play them.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The other option if the discs keep playing up is to convert them to .avis. As they are something you can't just go out and replace that might be the way to go. Most TVs nowadays you can stick a thumb-drive or external drive straight in and the TV will play them.

Thanks, will try that.

azzah72

Bench
There's a YouTube channel by the corridor crew called VFX artist react.

They've do E some episodes on old school effects before CGI.

Worth a look. Pretty good.

horrie hastings

First Grade
From about the 1.48 sec mark to 2.05 sec you can see the above miniatures of downtown LA from Earthquake in the movie.

Interesting foot note about the elevator scene, they shot the scene originally and you could see the peoples bodies pressed through the roof of the elevator, the scene was deemed to graphic and would have given the movie an R rating so they proceeded with the cartoon blood shot instead which was just so corny and a terrible effect which made people laugh instead of scream.

Matua

Bench
Wow, can't believe you guys still have DVDs etc. I don't even have my collection of downloads let along DVDs. Most of my downloads were 720p and are unwatchable now.

I just live or die by what I can find on streaming services.

horrie hastings

First Grade
That would be very annoying. I bought a good quality Blu Ray player as I've got Blu Rays from all round the world and I wanted

Wow, can't believe you guys still have DVDs etc. I don't even have my collection of downloads let along DVDs. Most of my downloads were 720p and are unwatchable now.

I just live or die by what I can find on streaming services.

Although i have culled a few of our DVD collection at home, i still want a hard copies of certain movies i can just put on when i feel like watching them and not being at the mercy of streaming services which don't always have what i want to watch.