What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O'Meley and O'Donnell

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nothing Felix about your apparent view that Luke Bailey is an ordinary player who was injury-prone and gave poor service to Saints.

I believe the opposite is closer to reality.

And I think I know which of the two views holds more credibility.

_Johnsy

Referee
When was the last time we signed a big name, quality player ? O'Connor ?

If anything, dependant on Heads fitness we will need a quality 1/2 or 5/8

Southernsaint

Staff member
_Johnsy said:
When was the last time we signed a big name, quality player ? O'Connor ?

If anything, dependant on Heads fitness we will need a quality 1/2 or 5/8

O'Connor came from Union & was an unknown quantity, wasn't he??

Maybe Steve Rodgers. Or Martin Offiah.

If you can call them "big names", Treacey & Ainscough...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willie Peters. ;-)

I think we do all right with Changa's backyard to draw on. It has to be worth something.

Wicks

Juniors
Again with the merits of the player instead of the contract negotiations You cant force feed words There are two chronic injuries that Bailey needs to manage and he was up and down last year but outstanding in his contract year

I mentioned those few sidelights because they would be involved in negotiations They were there with Ben Creagh and he did the job to get a deal in place

If you think Bailey is ordinary gave poor service and was injury prone that is up to you :p I didnt say it

Why are you so scared to look into what really decided the contract Afraid that Bailey priced himself out of the market We wanted Bailey and he couldnt accept what we thought was reasonable

Since players are also worried about risk in the way of a shorter contract Bailey missed out on the kind of money O'Meley will be looking at He would be as concerned as the club in those sidelight issues

I would still say it saved us from giving up a boat load of other players

There is no credibility in love clouding judgement

Willow

Assistant Moderator
can anyone read what wicks is going on about i can't make head or tails of it i think he said i am scared of something i can't understand why he say that i do my best to follow what he says and respect opinion maybe its just his way to avoid the issues and life

The Preacher

First Grade
Wicks said:
Will you provide an alternate view on the negotiations or continue to rely on dogma

My alternate view, to use your expression, is that I believe you are some sort of "stooly" for the club, and will defend any decision they make, be they right or wrong.
Our recruitment/retention policy of recent years has been nothing short of woefull.
Paying money to players that are no longer on our roster, which limits our spending power under the cap, getting rid of players that have performed with great esteem, lack of foresight in recognising talent and watching players go on to play permenant first grade with other clubs, getting rid of Premier League before the proposed elite U/20 comp is set in stone !!! That's my alternate view...... INCOMPETENCE = DOUST.

The way you come to the defence of the board decisions, Wicks, borders on the obsessive, and I firmly believe you are a "plant" or have a vested interest in the protection of a mistake ridden executive.

Wicks

Juniors
Thats fine Everything but the topic at hand

Willow doesnt want to accept that Bailey may have priced himself out of a contract whether it is true or not

He is more than willing to cast aspersions as are you More than willing to correct Slippery Morris when he is no closer to what happened

A question for you Preacher what would the team look like now if you were in charge and what would you pay the top squad and other players that are regulated by the salary cap

With those changes in mind what will the team look like in the crucial years to this discussion namely 2008 and 2009

Take a month if you like :cool:
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/member.php?u=10699

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Paragraphs... that's an improvement. Now a few full stops and we're almost there.

I haven't seen the detail of the contract Wicks. Perhaps that's something you are privy to. But somehow I doubt it.

Is there anything in the mainstream to back up your claim that Bailey 'priced himself out of a contract...'
?

On the other hand, I have provided mainstream quotes from the Dragons own magazine.

"Whether its true or not..." LOL. Let me guess, you don't even know yourself.

It seems to me that you've got yourself pretty well covered: chronic injuries, too expensive, and an ordinary footballer anyway. The only thing left is for you say that you support the club's decision 100%... then we'd have a wrap.

The Preacher

First Grade
He has the FULL support of the Board !

As for what my roster would be, I cannot, nor can anyone else answer that as we have no idea of the different salaries of the players and therefore cannot structure a side unless it be a hypothetical one.
I'm not payed to play administrator, but I'll tell you one thing, I'm a financial member of the football club, and we elect the board, they appoint the CEO, so he works for us and should be accountable for a littany of failures. :^o

Wicks

Juniors
Glad to help

I cant support the club decision because I havent seen the detail I am saying you cannot be so adamant either

You cant even acknowledge Bailey was looking at more than three years of his career

You realise the fourth year of the Titans contract would be where a fifth year would be with us

If we offered more in the first two years and less after that fits perfectly with what you have quoted Everything I have said fits with your quote It was the reason for responding

Only you have called him an ordinary footballer I asked Is Bailey worth a four year contract and you have been moving away from that

Bailey is only worth a four contract if he adheres to the conditions we put to him You can say the same for Creagh Ryles I wont be so precious with Wicks when the time comes

Dragons offered him nothing and virtually showed him the door which you have no proof of can just as easily be the club realising that they cannot afford him and Bailey can get a lot more money from the Titans

If the distance between the two parties is so clear cut what do you want the club to do Keep pushing and end up without Bailey in 2006

:BDH:

Wicks

Juniors
Preacher that spotlights how you have come to criticise If there is something you do not like it is a failure but you dont know what is behind the decision

Forget salaries then what would you say

The teams slotting in unavailable players

1. Josh MORRIS
2. Luke MACDOUGALL
3. Wes NAIQAMA
4. Matt COOPER
5. Brett MORRIS
6. Mark GASNIER
7. Ben HORNBY
8. Justin POORE
9. Simon WOOLFORD
10. Jason RYLES
11. Ashton SIMS
12. Dean YOUNG
13. Ben CREAGH
14. Beau SCOTT
15. Danny WICKS
16. Charlie LEAENO
17. Corey PAYNE

1. Jason NIGHTINGALE
2. Rota SETU
3. Frank SAMIA
4. Keith LULIA
5. Chase STANLEY
6. Richard WILLIAMS
7. Mathew HEAD
8. Chris HOUSTON
9. Ben ELLIS
10. Dan HUNT
11. Adam PEEK
12. Ricky THORBY
13. Lagi SETU
14. Rangi CHASE
15. Tony CAINE
16. Ricardo YOUNG
17. Matt PRIOR

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wicks said:
I cant support the club decision because I havent seen the detail
Sounds like you think they made the right decision.
Wicks said:
I am saying you cannot be so adamant either
I'm using the club's own magazine as my source. How many ways would you like me to say it?

Wicks said:
You cant even acknowledge Bailey was looking at more than three years of his career
That's because he asked for three years from 2007. The GC offered four years. Please try and keep up.

My second post in this thread:
Bailey is quoted as saying he wanted to sign for another three years with Saints.

Bailey's quote:

"...contract talks dragged on a bit and I started to think its hard to get a three-year deal now, how hard will it be when that time runs out?" Bailey said.
"When the option came to get four years at the Gold Coast from 2007 it was one I found hard to pass up. It's a new challenge and it secures my family."

The quote taken from the Red V magazine. Was it a lie Wicks?

Wicks said:
You realise the fourth year of the Titans contract would be where a fifth year would be with us
English, and now maths...

The negotiations with the GC were for a contract to begin in 2007. Given that they didnt have a team in 2006, its not too hard to work out.

In 2005, Bailey wanted three more years with Saints: 2006, 2007, 2008.
As it turned out, he got one year: 2006.
Those are the facts.

Wicks said:
Only you have called him an ordinary footballer
bullsh*t.
Wicks said:
I asked Is Bailey worth a four year contract and you have been moving away from that
He never asked for a four year contract with Saints. Three years was what he asked for. In my opinion he was worth at least that.

Wicks

Juniors
Willow said:
In 2005, Bailey wanted three more years with Saints: 2006, 2007, 2008.

Repeating what I have already said back to me

What Bailey is concerned about is why he can't get the right conditions for 2008 and

Willow said:
how hard will it be when that time runs out?

which means 2009 and beyond It is there for all to see

Bailey may have accepted less if he had security in future years He didnt feel like he did and couldnt accept the offer made to him

You cannot say

Willow said:
Dragons offered him nothing and virtually showed him the door

It goes back to why my resistance to your version is valid

Any club worth their salt wants to balance the player the money the opportunity and all that combination with all the other players they have under contract or expect to be under contract

The club knows where they stand Bailey doesnt You dont I dont They make their offer improve their offer and however you shake it out it is not enough for Bailey The club may realise this but their duty is to the club as a whole This is the third year 2008

Willow said:
He never asked for a four year contract with Saints. Three years was what he asked for. In my opinion he was worth at least that.

Just to come full circle I asked whether he was worth a fourth year contract because Bailey himself said

Willow said:
how hard will it be when that time runs out?

not because he asked for a fourth year but because there was no guarantee for 2009 This has been said before

He now has a guarantee for 2009 2010 if there are no options in his contract

The Titans could well have bought 2010 cheaply because they were guaranteeing not only good money in 2008 but 2009 as well This is fine for them as a start up team with few stars but we cannot be so lenient

Imagine what Preacher would be saying about you

The Preacher said:
lack of foresight in recognising talent and watching players go on to play permenant first grade with other clubs

We have produced maybe three football sides in six years and the progress continues at a rapid pace You make choices

Craig Young Max Ninness and all others involved have a handle on what we need to do

If in consultation Bailey could only be offered a certain amount for 2008 or otherwise be negligent in their duties then you have to live with it

The only entities that are looking at where they need to be in 2008 and 2009 are the clubs their coaches their management and the players

The media may want you to think otherwise but long gone are the days where clubs are to blame because reasonable offers are enough to keep players or the opposing club hasnt got a chance to make the top eight and the players cant represent from another club

These players go for long term deals and big money offers when they feel they have to look after their interests

Ask the Bulldogs about Steven Price or now about Roy Asotasi and how they are more confident this year

They like us have concerns if there are injuries but that is the same for every team in a position or two Bulldogs lost three big forwards to keep the rest of the team together

We will have a dip in the individual play but as a group of forwards how the hooker and halfback played on Saturday is very promising for them to improve and be more than a good collection of names

So to put a fine point on it where does the fault lie for 2008 and therefore the loss of the deal

I myself would say there is no blame I would estimate that the management of the club and Bailey did their best to come to an agreement and they came with different contract lengths and amounts of money and couldnt find a resolution so they came up with something else They all had to concede something they wanted to achieve but not enough to keep Bailey at the Dragons There are pluses and minuses on all sides

However you want the story to be told you Williow cannot say where the blame lies I Wicks cannot either but I can challenge your sentimentality and aversion to understanding Bailey made a decision based on what the club could plausibly offer him

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dear Wicks,

I am fully aware that the club needs to have priorities. That's a no-brainer. You'll just have to accept that I feel the club has made a blunder in letting Bailey go.

As for the rest. I tried to read it... honestly.

This is one part I'll pick you up on:
Wicks said:
which means 2009 and beyond It is there for all to see
No, he meant in terms of the time left to negotaite a new deal before the then current contract expired. Read it properly.

And again, if I may say, your posting style is quite appalling... near impossible to read. You have to be joking if you think you're making a great deal of sense.

And it just gets worst with each post. In this thread, it appears that you have side-stepped key points with a mish-mash of selective quoting, lies, assumptions, smoke screens and a total lack of comprehension.

On the surface, it looks like you are being deliberately obtuse. The sad thing is that you must have gone to some trouble to type it all.

The Preacher

First Grade
I'm buggered if I can work out what I'm answering and what you're supposed to be answering Willow.
I'm getting teams thrown at me for a reason I don't understand, and I can't get an answer to the question I asked at the start somewhere, " Are you a "stoolie" for the administration, or are you wearing the new style winkers to block out any alternatives???"
It seems to be a situation where you believe that the board can do no wrong.

Wicks

Juniors
Willow said:
You'll just have to accept that I feel the club has made a blunder in letting Bailey go.

That has not been an issue

Willow said:
No, he meant in terms of the time left to negotaite a new deal before the then current contract expired.

You cant tell us what he meant What he said in the quote is that the difficulty in 2008 is an indication that it will be harder to get a contract at the Dragons at the end of three years

The that time refers to the three-year dealAsk anybody else without a vested interest There is no other way about it It is not a poem to be dissected

What is missing here is a statement from the club and going by what they said about Kite Bailey would know he shouldnt be confident

Conceding money now he wants a longer contract or the indication that they will look after him in 2009 and 2010

Any player that thinks that they will worth the same or more will take a two or three year deal unless the deal is astronomical

Bailey would have had the Broncos Bulldogs Roosters Titans Eels Warriors Tigers Cowboys all chasing him for next year And a few of those clubs are really desperate

Willow said:
On the surface, it looks like you are being deliberately obtuse.

How can you be anything but obtuse when you dont know the full story Thats where the lies and assumptions come out

Latest posts