What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

one more signing - Matt Adamson

edabomb

First Grade
I'm not sure the old peoples home will let him Matt and Jason all out at the same time. They have to keep track of their patients :lol: :lol: .

thickos

First Grade
Moderately pleased. But I don't want us to have an image of dishing up 1-year retirement plans. Plus if he stunts the development of one of the young brigade it will be disappointing.

Any word on current form?

GreenGuy

If anyone can find some stats of his, it would be good. I have a worry about how our defence is going to be next year. I hope im proved wrong with some good defensive stats.

choc_soldier

Coach
La di da! :|

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, has played Origin, and will be a decent buy for the Raiders, especially considering the number of players leaving at the end of this season.

However, he left Penrith in 2001 stating that he had a better chance of winning a premiership in England. He's not the most liked person out there, amongst management and fans alike.

Good to see him back in the NRL though.

Bay56

First Grade
With Rubes and Statue goes almost 400 games experience (and there aint no substitute for that stuff) ...

The way I see it management has purchased the experience of Smith and Adamson on short term contracts until a more significant signing can be made next season (maybe hindy).

As long as their heart is in it I think this is OK ... a strategy management were forced into.

Their assistance off the field will be more valubale than on it ... especially in relation to Smith.

GreenGuy

Bay56 said:
With Rubes and Statue goes almost 400 games experience (and there aint no substitute for that stuff) ...

The way I see it management has purchased Smith and Adamson on short term contracts until a more significant signing can be made next season (maybe hindy).

As long as their heart is in it I think this is OK ... a strategy management were forced into.

Their assistance off the field will be more valubale than on it ... especially in relation to Smith.

I guess everyone has to agree with you at least once.. I'll choose this time.

Brimmer

Juniors
Name
Matt Adamson

Position
Second Row

Date of Birth
14-08-1972

Place of Birth
Taree

Previous Club
Penrith Panthers

Weight 15st 5lbs
Height 6'3
Honours Australia
Squad Number 12
Debut
v Bradford 09/02/02

Leeds Career :
Matt signed for the Rhinos at the start of the 2002 season after nine years at Penrith Panthers in Australia. He is very much the joker in the pack. His has brought with him from Australia an ultra professional attitude in everything he does.
Matt fractured his jaw and cheekbone in the opening minutes of the 2003 Challenge Cup semi final and yet played on until half time and following surgery was back to play a fortnight later in the Final at Cardiff.
He is also a key figure for the side on the social front, organising social events for the players and their families. As part of the Francis Cummins Testimonial in 2003 he famously organsied an Aussie Beach Party in the centre of Leeds that saw hundreds of people attend all dressed in outfits more at home on Bondi rather than Briggate.
Rugby Career :
Matt came from the Taree junior club before signing professionally with Parramatta in 1990 making his first team debut against Norths in Rd 18 of the 1991 season, originally as a full back. He then moved onto Penrith in 1993 where he stayed until the end of the 2001 season. He represented City Under-19s in 1990 and NSW Under-19s in 1991. He made one Super League Tri-series appearance for NSW in 1997 and five Super League Tests for Australia in the same year including two tests against Great Britain. He returned to representative rugby in 2001 when he made made two State of Origin appearances for NSW. In total he played 158 games in Australia.
Personal Details :
Matt is a massive Man Utd fan and organised a trip at the start of the 2003 season so that the entire squad could meet the Man Utd team including Sir Alex Ferguson, David Beckham and Roy Keane ... he has a dog called Harry who lives back at home in Australia with his mum and dad ... his childhood hero was Wayne Pearce ... and he could have played for Australia at cricket as well, one of his best mates and former cricket team mates is Australian captain Adam Gilchrist.

Bay56

First Grade
GreenGuy said:
Bay56 said:

The way I see it management has purchased Smith and Adamson on short term contracts until a more significant signing can be made next season (maybe hindy).

***booooof *** thats the sound of someone falling from his chair :lol:

Raiders Rock

Juniors
Bay56 said:
GreenGuy said:
Bay56 said:

***booooof *** thats the sound of someone falling from his chair :lol:

geez bay, that almost sounds like you're giving a wrap to the current management of the Raiders!! Well done son!!! Wether or not it turns out to be a good signing remains to be seen...

thickos

First Grade
Raiders sign a second veteran from England
Rugby league By Peter Fitzgerald
Tuesday, 27 July 2004

The Canberra Raiders' player jigsaw puzzle is almost complete, with the signing yesterday of former Kangaroo forward Matt Adamson.

Adamson, 31, has spent the past two seasons with English Super League club Leeds, after playing 11 seasons in the Australian competition with Parramatta (1991/92) and Penrith (1993-2001).

Three weeks ago, the Raiders' playing book was looking thin after Ruben Wiki, Joel Monaghan, Luke Davico and Brad Drew confirmed they would be leaving the club at the end of the year.

But since then, recruitment staff at Raiders headquarters have been working overtime, signing Craig Frawley (Broncos), Michael and David Howell (Dragons), Jermaine Ale (Roosters), Bronx Goodwin (Sharks) and now Adamson.

Furner admitted that while the past two months had been "testing", he refused to call the period a failure.

"We've always said you can't judge recruitment until after it's happened," he said.

"There was a bit of soul searching around the place a few weeks back but I know the coaching staff feel a lot more confident now after making these signings."

The latest signature of Adamson has helped fill the large void left by Wiki and Davico's imminent departures.

Teenager Michael Weyman showed during Sunday's match against the Warriors that when fit, he could become one of the leading forwards in the competition. Having Adamson as a versatile front and second-rower will give the Raiders more options in attack.

But even Furner realises the multiple former New South Wales and Australian representative is no Ruben Wiki.

"There's only one Ruben. He's obviously been a great asset to our club over the past decade and I think it's fair to say he's somewhat irreplaceable," Furner said.

"But [Adamson] has been recommended very highly. He's very keen to play another year in the NRL and will do a very good job for us."

Adamson signed with the Raiders on a one-year contract which will see him end his football career in the lime green jersey.

The hard-working forward has spent the past two-and-a-half seasons with Leeds after a successful career with the Panthers.

Adamson played two Origin matches in 2001, one Super League Tri-series match for the Blues in 1997 and five Super League Tests in the same year. In total, he has played 158 games in Australia.

Furner believes Adamson's presence at the Raiders next year will go a long way to making them a formidable outfit.

"People have been saying that the Raiders will have nobody next year, but over the past week or two we've been one of the leading clubs on the signings front," he said.

"At times, [signings] all happen in a row.

"For us it was all players leaving one week then signing a lot the next. It's just the way it can work. You can't control that a lot of the time."

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders Rock said:
geez bay, that almost sounds like you're giving a wrap to the current management of the Raiders!! Well done son!!! Wether or not it turns out to be a good signing remains to be seen...

I'm not sure were you are reading the "giving a wrap to the current management"

My strategy has always been that the longer you place pressure on someone to perform the greater chance you have of that happening ... either that or they crack and vacate.

And please dont interpret that as I saying that management took heed of any of the stuff I have previously stated.

And true .. only time will tell if its a good signing ... much like most of the opinions expressed on this forum.

hrundi99

First Grade
Huh?

From smh.com.au

Adamson considers returning home
July 28, 2004 - 5:24AM

Leeds Rhinos' Australian forward Matt Adamson is considering an offer to return home to play out his rugby league career under former Bradford coach Matthew Elliott at the Canberra Raiders.

The 31-year-old Adamson, who joined the Rhinos from Penrith in time for the start of the 2002 English season, is out of contract at Headingley in November and has yet to discuss a new deal with the club.

"Canberra have made me an offer but I have not signed it," he said. "I always said that I would speak to Leeds first about their plans for the team and myself for next season and that is what I will do.

"I always said that I wanted to finish off my career here at Leeds and that remains my first choice."

Canberra have already persuaded Hull captain Jason Smith to end his career with the Raiders in 2005.

thickos

First Grade
hrundi99 said:
Huh?

From smh.com.au

Adamson considers returning home
July 28, 2004 - 5:24AM

Leeds Rhinos' Australian forward Matt Adamson is considering an offer to return home to play out his rugby league career under former Bradford coach Matthew Elliott at the Canberra Raiders.

The 31-year-old Adamson, who joined the Rhinos from Penrith in time for the start of the 2002 English season, is out of contract at Headingley in November and has yet to discuss a new deal with the club.

"Canberra have made me an offer but I have not signed it," he said. "I always said that I would speak to Leeds first about their plans for the team and myself for next season and that is what I will do.

"I always said that I wanted to finish off my career here at Leeds and that remains my first choice."

Canberra have already persuaded Hull captain Jason Smith to end his career with the Raiders in 2005.

Strange. Very strange. :?: :?

Raider Azz

Bench
SMH - geniused. Remember thats the same paper who said we were close to signing a deal with Fielden after Elliot already threw that rumor away on the radio the day before :roll:

edabomb

First Grade
What are your views on him Edwahu?? Waste of $$ IMO. He would be a good quick fix if we were going to challenege for the title, but thinking we will challenge for it next season is blind optimism!!! This will only lead to younger players leaving to get first grade experience at other clubs IMO!!!!!!!!!!!!