What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One Season Wonders

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Ahh yes Paul Hauff.

Was a late call up to Origin, replacing Garry Belcher.

Did well in that Origin series which earned him an Australian jumper, but was terrible in his only test appearence.

Leo Dynevor was rated that highly in 1997 he was nearly called up for Origin.

Just having a thought whilst reading over the article on Andrew Everingham signing for Japanese Rugby, that he was a one season wonder last year scoring 17 tries in his debut season, but this season had suffered from the 'second year syndrome' and barely made the team this year.

What players have had incredible debut seasons for your club but have never returned to their form the year after? Tim Smith for Parra in 2005 is one that comes to mind.

Even though he did score a heap of tries, did Everingham even have that good a season in 2012? I wouldn't even rate him a one season wonder.

Following from above coach wise Hagen - took the Woks Newcastle the final step first year then backwards from then on.

Back onto players I have to agree with those saying Denan Kemp. I thought he was the next big thing at Brisbane and was excited when he signed for the Dragons the other year after a couple of years in the wilderness. Never got to see him.

The 2001 side was actually coached by Joey and Ben Kennedy

Big Pete

Referee
Brad Meyers - 2001 - Had a solid career all told but in 2001 it appeared the Broncos had unearthed an Origin main-stay. Peaked and basically became the master of quantity > quality.

Leon Bott - 2005 - An obvious example. Bott made a name for himself in that traditional Good Friday clash against the Chooks scoring a scintillating try down the right hand touchline but was eventually exposed as more of an athlete than footballer.

Tame Tupou - 2006 - Two try Tupou was one of the best finishers in the game that year and would absolutely stampede through the defence. However, injuries and a lack of discipline kept him from progressing and despite making his Test debut that season, he quietly departed sometime in 07, never to play NRL again.

Denan Kemp - 2008 - Still a cult favourite amongst Broncos fan, Kemp was in red-hot form in 08, scoring some fantastic tries down the right hand touchline that gave Brisbane fans plenty to smile about. Got bogged down in NZ, then punctured his lung against them at Brisbane and that was the last we ever saw of him.

IanG

Coach
Did wonder if Leon Bott would get a mention.

Last thing I heard he's playing club rugby in Sydney

Greg Smith is the greatest one game wonder in history.

I was at that game. Funny thing about it was that the Sunday Telegraph gave away free tickets to Newcastle readers.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Greg Smith is the greatest one game wonder in history.

Good one :thumb
tumblr_mh3gn71Qu61rigmono1_500.gif