What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jackson Ford

nontime111

Juniors
If I was coach id STACK our pack with ball players

Luch
Ford
Korbin
Tariq all have great hands and offloads, I truly hope this Luch to Canberra rumour is only that...one of my favourite players to watch, specially now with these 2 in the team they will only get better

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
If he's not going to be a starting backrow (can't see it happen for a while) I'd be interested to see how he goes as a centre. Could be effective there and then could move to the backrow after a big preseason

Yes- with modern benches mostly carrying no outside backs, it's important to have a speedy backrower who can cover centre/wing at a pinch. We've had Beau Scott and then Joel Thompson perform that role in the past. Jackson could be the next.

possm

Coach
He’s already heavier than Aitken who people are saying should play lock/back rower. IMO 100/105 kilos now days to play there.
For the next couple of seasons, I believe Ford could be coached to play left centre and do a really good job of it - that is if we get a good new head coach at seasons end. A centre combination of Ford and Lomax would not be out of reach as far as our salary cap goes.

Other than left centre, for 2020 Ford would be good as our utility off the bench as he is capable of playing in the forwards and in the backline.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
For the next couple of seasons, I believe Ford could be coached to play left centre and do a really good job of it - that is if we get a good new head coach at seasons end. A centre combination of Ford and Lomax would not be out of reach as far as our salary cap goes.

Other than left centre, for 2020 Ford would be good as our utility off the bench as he is capable of playing in the forwards and in the backline.
Ford is really fast actually, he ran down Teddy tonight and last week he ran down a couple of backs too, he's going to be really good.

Frank Facer

First Grade

Ford may be able to play centre, because he is a genuine footballer and has pace for a forward, but I think he looks to be an out and out edge backrower. He is a backrower who would be able to fill in at centre if there was an injury to a back, which could allow us to carry 4 genuine forwards on the bench.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Ford may be able to play centre, because he is a genuine footballer and has pace for a forward, but I think he looks to be an out and out edge backrower. He is a backrower who would be able to fill in at centre if there was an injury to a back, which could allow us to carry 4 genuine forwards on the bench.
Maybe but so was Beau Scott, who filled in the centres for the Dragons up until mid 2010 when Gasnier signed for us. We won the minor premiership in 2009 and he more than did a job. We were also coached by Wayne Bennett..

Frank Facer

First Grade
Maybe but so was Beau Scott, who filled in the centres for the Dragons up until mid 2010 when Gasnier signed for us. We won the minor premiership in 2009 and he more than did a job. We were also coached by Wayne Bennett..
I wasn't a fan of Beau Scott at centre. He didn't offer enough in attack for my liking. It was only when Gasnier signed for us that I believed we were a good chance of winning the comp.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I wasn't a fan of Beau Scott at centre. He didn't offer enough in attack for my liking. It was only when Gasnier signed for us that I believed we were a good chance of winning the comp.
Yeah I agree, but nonetheless he played there and we go the minor premiership with him playing there. So if its good enough for Bennett its good enough for me. The thing with Wayne was that he realised we didn't have a super slick attacking side so build our whole team around defence, at the expense of attack. Playing that style relied heavily on Sowards outstanding kicking game. We haven't had a consistently good general field kicker as Sowie.

emu62

Juniors

Luch
Ford
Korbin
Tariq all have great hands and offloads, I truly hope this Luch to Canberra rumour is only that...one of my favourite players to watch, specially now with these 2 in the team they will only get better

Luch was wanting more game time, as most bench players do, as he is getting it now hopefully he will stay

Frank Facer

First Grade
I have seen highlights of Sailor in lower grades and he does have great attacking instincts. He has a passing game and a good short kicking game and he obviously has a good running game. I think he is too small to become our regular fullback, but I have always thought his best position would be 5/8, but numerous people on this site say that his defence isn't good enough to play 5/8 in first grade. What I would do with a play like Sailor or Dufty is play them in lower grades and have them defend in the line and close to the middle. I would like them to be getting as much tackling practice as possible to prepare them for first grade.

ps Players should have learnt to tackle in primary school.

Sorry, this post should have been in the Tristan Sailor thread. If the mods could delete it from this thread and put it in the Tristan Sailor thread, I would appreciate it.

hazzbeen

Bench
Frank , we are all saying young Sailor , Dufty can't defend , but are exceptional attacking players .... At the moment the whole team can't defend , so would I have them in my team 100 percent yes . surely if the team was on song with a coach that can isolate them in defence with a game plan to utilize their speed to be weapons in attack ..... But we don't have a coach that can look outside the box and play to their strengths , instead we more than likely lose them to other teams .....

Frank Facer

First Grade
Frank , we are all saying young Sailor , Dufty can't defend , but are exceptional attacking players .... At the moment the whole team can't defend , so would I have them in my team 100 percent yes . surely if the team was on song with a coach that can isolate them in defence with a game plan to utilize their speed to be weapons in attack ..... But we don't have a coach that can look outside the box and play to their strengths , instead we more than likely lose them to other teams .....
Dufty and Sailor's lack of size is always going to make it even more difficult for them to make it in first grade. Sailor attack is very good. Some said that Thurston was too small to make it in first grade. If Sailor can defend well enough, then he could make it as a 5/8.

I just thought of the idea of a future halves pairing of Sullivan at halfback and Sailor 5/8. Just imagine the attacking flair we would have with those 2 as our halves. It is an interesting idea.

hermidale1

Juniors

Luch
Ford
Korbin
What's the point when the team has no second phase efforts??
No push around the ball and players aren't offloading under instructions to complete sets.

hermidale1

Juniors
Dufty and Sailor's lack of size is always going to make it even more difficult for them to make it in first grade. Sailor attack is very good. Some said that Thurston was too small to make it in first grade. If Sailor can defend well enough, then he could make it as a 5/8.

I just thought of the idea of a future halves pairing of Sullivan at halfback and Sailor 5/8. Just imagine the attacking flair we would have with those 2 as our halves. It is an interesting idea.
Sullivan's will need to improve his defence. He's another one great with the ball but not too great without it.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I have seen highlights of Sailor in lower grades and he does have great attacking instincts. He has a passing game and a good short kicking game and he obviously has a good running game. I think he is too small to become our regular fullback, but I have always thought his best position would be 5/8, but numerous people on this site say that his defence isn't good enough to play 5/8 in first grade. What I would do with a play like Sailor or Dufty is play them in lower grades and have them defend in the line and close to the middle. I would like them to be getting as much tackling practice as possible to prepare them for first grade.

ps Players should have learnt to tackle in primary school.

Sorry, this post should have been in the Tristan Sailor thread. If the mods could delete it from this thread and put it in the Tristan Sailor thread, I would appreciate it.

SGI seems to stacked to the gunnels with small, brilliant attacking players who can't defend-namely Dufty, Field and Sailor- although Tristan pulled off a good tackle at full back last Saturday so it may be unfair to label him prematurely. Agree he is too small for full-back. I have advocated in the past that Dufty and Field should have been developed as our future halves after the ageing (and overrated in my opinion) Norman and Hunt move on. We can now add Sailor to that new breed of halves mix. Also, there is no future in Nicholls at 30 as the back up half so hopefully he is allowed to leave at the end of the season.

Latest posts