What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One to watch: Jason Saab

"I didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed"- Saab on Dragons debut
St George Illawarra Dragons debutant Jason Saab talks with the media following his two-try debut on Friday and covers everything from his upbringing to his NRL allegiances.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/07/29/it-felt-unreal---jason-saab-on-two-try-dragons-debut/
holding himself to some standards I love this kid and will never forgive the club if they botch his development and lose him

Was gonna comment on his parents and how proud they must be but then I saw them and reckon I might leave that well alone but all the best to the whole family and after his first try held up the club shield on the jersey just love that proves he’s loving the club and extremely humble and excited for the opportunity all hail Saab just hope he runs better than my mother in laws saab lol

41yearsaint

Juniors
Saab v Sivo. Looking forward to see how the young bloke goes. Interesting to see if Norman drifts over that side in attack also.

possm

Coach
Saab v Sivo. Looking forward to see how the young bloke goes. Interesting to see if Norman drifts over that side in attack also.
This week with Saab moving to the left wing, I'd say Norman will feed him a few good passes to go over to score. I really don't know why Lafai and Aitken are being selected, they both are showing no form at all.

Frank Facer

First Grade
It is going to be interesting watching Saab develop physically. He could turn out to be a 110 kg athletic giant on the wing. He could definitely become a rep player in the future too. I think he will stay a winger and continue to develop his game. Very happy that we have signed him up for 4 years. We will probably have to upgrade his contract next year to keep him happy.

BLM01

First Grade
It is going to be interesting watching Saab develop physically. He could turn out to be a 110 kg athletic giant on the wing. He could definitely become a rep player in the future too. I think he will stay a winger and continue to develop his game. Very happy that we have signed him up for 4 years. We will probably have to upgrade his contract next year to keep him happy.
Why do we have to upgrade him now or even next year when this year he agreed to a further 3 year deal.
I dont understand. He is no Kalyn Ponga or Addo Carr whose market value would be now double what they sgned for and is still playing for well into their first contract.
After seeing some how initial NRL contract offers are structured to young kids he would no doubt be getting a base NRL development wage but bonus payments for each 1st grade game he plays and then further for making rep sides...as would Jayden Sullivan
Let just settle and see how he develops at NRL level 1st before starting to throw more money at him.

George Dragon

Juniors
Why do we have to upgrade him now or even next year when this year he agreed to a further 3 year deal.
I dont understand. He is no Kalyn Ponga or Addo Carr whose market value would be now double what they sgned for and is still playing for well into their first contract.
After seeing some how initial NRL contract offers are structured to young kids he would no doubt be getting a base NRL development wage but bonus payments for each 1st grade game he plays and then further for making rep sides...as would Jayden Sullivan
Let just settle and see how he develops at NRL level 1st before starting to throw more money at him.
Jason signed a 4 year deal 2 as DP and 2 as top 30
They club may upgrade his next year contract to top 30.
The way the rules are he may not be able to play FG next year until June 30 again.

BLM01

First Grade
Jason signed a 4 year deal 2 as DP and 2 as top 30
They club may upgrade his next year contract to top 30.
The way the rules are he may not be able to play FG next year until June 30 again.
Thanks that makes sense and he is probably worthy of an upgrade for next year only which should not break the bank

getsmarty

Immortal
Teenage sensation Jason Saab the silver lining to another gloomy season for the Dragons
ABC Illawarra
By Timothy Fernandez
Posted Wed at 1:13pm

Photo: Is 18-year-old Dragons player Jason Saab a sign of better times ahead? His club hopes so. (ABC Illawarra: Tim Fernandez)
St George Illawarra's season is all but over with six games still to play, and the Dragons have once again struggled in the business end of the season with dramas both on and off the field.

Key points:
  • The Dragons' season is as good as done, but their latest loss featured a scintillating debut from Jason Saab
  • The 18-year-old winger has been praised by the coach and captain for his maturity and potential
  • The team, about to to lose its international captain, has denied that Jack de Belin's presence is unsettling

The Dragons' defeat to the South Sydney Rabbitohs last Friday was the team's tenth loss in 12 games and puts the side closer to the wooden spoon than the top eight.

But as the team begins taking stock of where it all went wrong, 18-year-old winger Jason Saab, who crossed for two tries on debut, may be a sign of better times ahead.

The teenager's NRL career has begun with a bang, but he admits it could have died with a whimper.

"I came from a high school where footy is what we do," Saab said.

"Other people were making teams and I wasn't, so I thought I wasn't good enough."

The former Merrylands junior player grew up in Paramatta and always dreamed of being a professional rugby league player.

But when he failed to attract interest while trialling for Paramatta and Balmain's development squads, he came close to throwing in the towel.

"I wasn't really cracking it, [but] I made the train on squad for Balmain.

"I made the first cut then we played the second game and I was cut.

"I was gutted.

"I definitely had doubts and I thought I should give up because I'm not going to make it, but I hung in there."

The teenager was eventually given his chance after a successful trial with the Dragon's SG Ball side last year.

In the space of a year the young winger grew 5 centimetres to his current height of 199cm and caught the eye of coach Paul McGregor who promoted him from the development squad.

Growth to come
It is not just Saab's physical stature that's impressed McGregor — the coach is has also praised his attitude and maturity.

"He earnt the right to play through his efforts in the lower grades," McGregor said after Friday's match.

"He's a young kid with a bright future.

"Over time he's going to fill out, he's probably going to end up being around 110 kilos."

Photo: McGregor and Widdop. (AAP: Craig Golding)

The sentiments were also echoed by skipper Gareth Widdop who said he has all the qualities of a future star.

"The best thing about Jason is despite scoring two tries on debut the loss still hurts him which is pleasing," Widdop said.

"It's not about the individual it's about the team."

Saab said he is keen to repay McGregor's faith.

"He definitely wants me at the club long term," Saab said.

"We've spoken about developing as a player and having a big future.

"I'm sure he does want to see me in first grade because that's where he's put me."

Questions around Paul McGregor's future
Dragons Chief Executive Brian Johnston extended McGregor's contract in April to keep him at the club until 2021.

The Dragons boss hailed his credentials as one of the best man managers in the game.

But it is hard to overlook the Dragons' habit, in recent years, of fading during the second half of the season under McGregor's watch.

The Dragons CEO has since failed to guarantee the team will start next season with McGregor as head coach but admits that sacking McGregor will not fix the side's problems.

Meanwhile the playing group has been steadfast in their support of McGregor, claiming the responsibility for their string of poor results belongs exclusively to the players.

Players deny de Belin divide, Widdop set to exit
The club has also been dealing with the star Jack de Belin's ongoing court case.

Last week the 28-year-old was committed to stand trial for five charges of aggravated sexual assault.

Photo: Jack de Belin attending the Federal Court in April in his first challenge to the ARL's 'no fault' stand down policy. (ABC News: Jamie McKinnell)

De Belin was first charged in February and stood down on full pay under a new no-fault policy, before challenging it in a landmark case in the Federal Court of Australia.

The players have denied reports that de Belin's presence on the training ground is impacting their performances.

The importance of Dragons captain Gareth Widdop to the team's morale was clear for all to see in his first game back from an 18-week layoff with a shoulder injury.

The English international lead by example, managing four conversions, including a clutch kick from the sideline that handed the Dragon the lead with two minutes to play.

But the club captain's NRL homecoming was bittersweet — the Englishman is set to return to the UK at the end of the season.

Photo: Widdop is due to head home after a season marred by injury. (AAP: Robb Cox)

"It's been a very tough year for the team knowing that I'm injured and moving on at the end of the year," the 30-year-old said.

"It's a team sport — we win, we lose together, we ride the rough times and the high times."

He says with the finals now a distant dream he now just wants to enjoy his remaining time with his team mates.

"I just want to see what I can contribute in the next couple of weeks and make sure that I'm leading the boys and hopefully we can finish off strong," Widdop said.

"We're not going to roll over and die wondering here."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07...agons-gloomy-season-draws-to-a-close/11366632

BLM01

First Grade
Saab and Lovodua join Dragons Top 30
St George Illawarra Dragons Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward, reveals some fantastic club news on Jason Saab and Joe Lovodua, and breaks down the Dragons top 30 roster.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/01/saab-and-lovodua-join-dragons-top-30/
There you have it finally...6 spots to fill..no marquees..no one leaving (yet) ;)
Another building year with no success anticipated
Bye Bye Mary...it is clear now he wont be in charge in 2021
Someone else will have that role of sorting out those 12 off contract next year who stays and who goes and plays with us in 2021 except Graham who will retire.
Unless other clubs poach them early all the other 11 will want a big year next year to earn contracts with us or elsewhere. We must keep Frizz, Kerr, Zac, Luc, Ford?...JDB? You watch the 5 left out of those we dont want to keep have big years next year (surprise, surprise) That is Lafai, Aitken, Host, Pearson, & maybe Rav if he can improve he is a keeper..the other 4 hanging by a thread or goooonnneeee..
and I believe it is a race between Ford v Host who stays and who goes.

Wittenberg

Juniors
There you have it finally...6 spots to fill..no marquees..no one leaving (yet) ;)
Another building year with no success anticipated
Bye Bye Mary...it is clear now he wont be in charge in 2021
Someone else will have that role of sorting out those 12 off contract next year who stays and who goes and plays with us in 2021 except Graham who will retire.
Unless other clubs poach them early all the other 11 will want a big year next year to earn contracts with us or elsewhere. We must keep Frizz, Kerr, Zac, Luc, Ford?...JDB? You watch the 5 left out of those we dont want to keep have big years next year (surprise, surprise) That is Lafai, Aitken, Host, Pearson, & maybe Rav if he can improve he is a keeper..the other 4 hanging by a thread or goooonnneeee..
and I believe it is a race between Ford v Host who stays and who goes.
Must admit no more going does not surprise me and no marquee signings certainly doesn't surprise me with Mary coach and Johnston as CEO. Agree by and large with your list to keep, although Kerr to me is a question mark. He improved towards the end of the season but his ability is certainly not as imposing as his body, time will tell though. Ford vs Host? I'd keep Ford at this stage, Host has had his chances but with no recruits as yet he might have to stay to give us some depth. I know there are great wraps on Sailor, Saab and Ford, but I hope they don't get crushed by the weight of fan expectation and Mary's abysmal coaching. They have a long way to go before they become our saviours. JDB? Quite frankly I am over him. If he is innocent I hope he gets off but boy that night out cost his family, the Club and himself dearly. Frizz and Luch staying? Who knows but it looks a little gloomy on that front. Zac? Part of me would not be upset if he leaves us at the end of this season. He is a major talent being ruined by a coach who constantly worships at the altar of Lafai and Aitken. A dark future ahead I fear.

BLM01

First Grade
Must admit no more going does not surprise me and no marquee signings certainly doesn't surprise me with Mary coach and Johnston as CEO. Agree by and large with your list to keep, although Kerr to me is a question mark. He improved towards the end of the season but his ability is certainly not as imposing as his body, time will tell though. Ford vs Host? I'd keep Ford at this stage, Host has had his chances but with no recruits as yet he might have to stay to give us some depth. I know there are great wraps on Sailor, Saab and Ford, but I hope they don't get crushed by the weight of fan expectation and Mary's abysmal coaching. They have a long way to go before they become our saviours. JDB? Quite frankly I am over him. If he is innocent I hope he gets off but boy that night out cost his family, the Club and himself dearly. Frizz and Luch staying? Who knows but it looks a little gloomy on that front. Zac? Part of me would not be upset if he leaves us at the end of this season. He is a major talent being ruined by a coach who constantly worships at the altar of Lafai and Aitken. A dark future ahead I fear.
Never fear Shane is near and what is happening to and what will become off Mary is clear
I will be upset if Zac goes in 2021 but he has realised as I am hoping others will that his potential at NRL level is at centre nothing else and a top class one at that.
If he does not make it there (but he will if things go his way) then he wont be at NRL level.

possm

Coach

possm

Coach
Never fear Shane is near and what is happening to and what will become off Mary is clear
I will be upset if Zac goes in 2021 but he has realised as I am hoping others will that his potential at NRL level is at centre nothing else and a top class one at that.
If he does not make it there (but he will if things go his way) then he wont be at NRL level.
Flanagan will have a positive influence on Frizell, Lomax and Leilua and so, I am not expecting any of these 3 players to go. It may just be that De Belin and Graham in the forwards and Aitken, Lafai, Dufty, and Pearson/Ravalawa will be leaving at the end of 2020.

It will be interesting to see who gets the fullback role, the centre pairing, and the right wing role in 2020.

Latest posts