What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One year in - the Board

millersnose

Post Whore
Well no more disasters for a start

A year trying to hose down the ElephantJuice debacle

The development quietly getting underway

Yeah they could have got more sponsors but honestly if you were bhp would you want to be associated with the looming asada hand grenade

taipan

Referee
Know the negatives all revolving around the ASADA shyte.So whilst it continues to rumble on,sponsors will keep a hands' length.This is the millstone around the club,the board's and the fans and players'necks.
'
At least now we have a decent CEO,who wasnt going to spend a king's ransom on a player .

The club doesn't have a bank debt around its neck,paying highway robbery interest.Just a Shark's fan prepared to help out,with a mortgage deal(short term one would suggest).

As to the new board they have supported Flanno,and had the other guys reinstated.At least the ARLC seems to believe the club directors are heading in the right direction.Peter Gow threw his support behind the new board,so he has been generally a good judge,except when he slices Dragoons'jumpers.

The most important thing IMO is financial stability,something the club has not really had for as long as I can remember.

I will judge the board,based on what they do post ASADA.

At least the club is not in the same financial shyte as Balmain partners of the West Tigers is in.We have legals and a fine (the latter can be spread out).

newman

First Grade
I will try to be as objective as possible here.

Positives:

- Development rumbles on positively, although in fairness this was set up by good work from the previous board.
- Debt reduced.
- Signed Remondis as stadium sponsor.
- Hired Steve Noyce who seems to be a good operator.
-Keogh seems to stay out of the media as much is possible.

Negatives:

- Lost Hisense mid term.
- Did not re-sign luxbet or Pain Away, despite interest from those companies. The board felt the offers were too low.
- Re-hired Mooney which was a big middle finger to the NRL. A spectacular blow up in that he was given responsibility for maintaining the stability of the squad (losing Fifita)
- Did not follow constitutional regulations in re-financing the debt to an individual with no membership consultation.
- Something that is little known is that they have splashed a bit of money around the job market and have created quite a few operational and sales roles. This is where the no sponsorship thing becomes a real worry. With a CEO on board and lots more staff we are in the worst place we have been for a long while.
- Memberships are way down and there have been multiple complaints from returning and new members about the membership team. (I organised 9 new members last year, and when I didn't renew this year I didn't even get a phone call).
-Merch sales are way down.
- Early crowd modelling shows that our attendances will also be way down.

Wait and See:

- Installing Sharp as interim head coach is a risk. He's quite open in that he doesn't want the job. Is the best thing for the club?
- Handling of ASADA. Did we roll over or are we going to war? Why hasn't more been made about the collateral damage suffered by the club in the wake of the investigation.? I mean, you can attribute quite a few of the items listed in the negatives like crowds, merch, membership and sponsorship are directly linked to this ASADA stuff.

4/10 for mine and I will be at the AGM.

for me i think alot of the membership/sales/merch stuff is asada based.

for me

Positives
* Pizza man. hey its 3 million bucks
* Development is kicking
* Remondis
* general stability i guess is a little better

negatives

* Jersey has no sponsorhip on it. Fail
* Pizza man was allowed to give money without membership consultation. wha...?
* Keeping anybody involved with asada. All involved hsould have been shown the door. Flanagan should go.
* Customer service is poor, membership service is poor.
* they decided to put "born with it" on the members jersey. gay

undecided

* sponsorship
* asada moving forward

newman

First Grade
I really hate the "Born with It" slogan. It excludes anybody who wasn't born to sharks supporting parents. I started supporting the Sharks when I was 17. I most certainly was not "born with it".

Vin Fizz

Bench
All in the way you look at it Newm. You certainly were born with the qualities that it takes to follow our lot. Lots of fair-weather followers of other clubs haven't. Success can take many forms.

carcharias

Immortal
I find it impossible to judge on the current climate .

Even the dogs with all their supporters and money couldn't get a sponsor at one time.

In hindsight if it weren't for the f**k ups from previous people involved in the club then this board wouldn't even exist.

and yes.. "born with it" is dog shit.

newman

First Grade
Rumours doing the rounds on the other forum that this new board are going to attempt to remove the "no honorariums" deal and get paid for their "work" on the board.

They also haven't sent a financial report out for the football club, yet they have announced a football club AGM, which is illegal under the constitution (and under governance rules).