What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One year in - the Board

shaggs

Coach
So are they intentionally doing poorly, so they can say, if we were getting paid we would be doing a better job.
How's that for ya MESSIAH? Tinhat like enough?

I know that's how I get a pay rise, do nothing and never be seen.

Craigshark

First Grade
How'd we have Pain Away on the 9's jersey but it's not on the normal jersey? Anyone know? Just curious..

Frailty

First Grade
The board and management of the club have demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the fanbase and the current context the club is in at the moment.

And using the ASADA investigation as the problems with membership, sponsorship and merch sales is a cop out in the highest order. It is the equivalent of someone obese saying they can't lose weight because of a thyroid problem. Yes, the thyroid dysfunction makes it more difficult, but it doesn't make it impossible.

If you are faced with the ASADA issue, do you increase membership prices (some family prices up to 55% increase)? Do you then try to make the seats in the Northern area reserved seating even though there is zero demand for it? If anything you want to give the fans more value to show that they're important to your club - and boasting on an increase of membership wouldn't be too bad to attract positive headlines and sell to potential sponsors.

If you are faced with ASADA and struggling to gain sponsors, you don't play complete hardball. The current board and management have completely gone overboard with what they think our sponsorship value is. So instead of having a number of sponsors at less value than what we would have hoped - we have no sponsors. There has to be a point that you need to realise you're expectations are not realistic. Furthermore, the longer we go - the less value we have due to less games being available.

Merch sales being down is a result of the previous two issues. You isolate a fan base, they don't spend their money. If you don't have sponsors, then you aren't going to be selling your jersey. How can fans buy a new jersey if it isn't even released. I have seen a lot of 9s jerseys - because they were available for fans.

Everything they are doing with re-financing the debt without consulting the members, not releasing the financial report when the AGM is announced, wanting renumeration despite the above - just isolates fans away from the club.

What the previous board did extremely well despite their relative inexperience in a business setting, was to identify what is it that makes the Sharks work - it's the fans. The fans need to feel like they are part of the club and a part of the family. We are different from the other teams because we are a close knit community. Then they brought in good managers who could see this vision, and bring it to life.

The current board has business experience, but not a sporting administration business experience.

/Rant

roboshark

Coach
Is there a factory somewhere that just keeps producing shit cronulla boards??

Because ffs we keep getting the good uns!!!!!

Feej

First Grade
The board and management of the club have demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the fanbase and the current context the club is in at the moment.

And using the ASADA investigation as the problems with membership, sponsorship and merch sales is a cop out in the highest order. It is the equivalent of someone obese saying they can't lose weight because of a thyroid problem. Yes, the thyroid dysfunction makes it more difficult, but it doesn't make it impossible.

If you are faced with the ASADA issue, do you increase membership prices (some family prices up to 55% increase)? Do you then try to make the seats in the Northern area reserved seating even though there is zero demand for it? If anything you want to give the fans more value to show that they're important to your club - and boasting on an increase of membership wouldn't be too bad to attract positive headlines and sell to potential sponsors.

If you are faced with ASADA and struggling to gain sponsors, you don't play complete hardball. The current board and management have completely gone overboard with what they think our sponsorship value is. So instead of having a number of sponsors at less value than what we would have hoped - we have no sponsors. There has to be a point that you need to realise you're expectations are not realistic. Furthermore, the longer we go - the less value we have due to less games being available.

Merch sales being down is a result of the previous two issues. You isolate a fan base, they don't spend their money. If you don't have sponsors, then you aren't going to be selling your jersey. How can fans buy a new jersey if it isn't even released. I have seen a lot of 9s jerseys - because they were available for fans.

Everything they are doing with re-financing the debt without consulting the members, not releasing the financial report when the AGM is announced, wanting renumeration despite the above - just isolates fans away from the club.

What the previous board did extremely well despite their relative inexperience in a business setting, was to identify what is it that makes the Sharks work - it's the fans. The fans need to feel like they are part of the club and a part of the family. We are different from the other teams because we are a close knit community. Then they brought in good managers who could see this vision, and bring it to life.

The current board has business experience, but not a sporting administration business experience.

/Rant

Great summary!

newman

First Grade
Let's not forget that this board came on board AFTER the ASADA hydrogen bomb went off. In fact they promoted themselves as the best group to navigate through it. That was a big part of their campaign.

millersnose

Post Whore
What the previous board did extremely well despite their relative inexperience in a business setting, was to identify what is it that makes the Sharks work - it's the fans. The fans need to feel like they are part of the club and a part of the family.

I love motherhood emotional statements of glory that don't actually use facts

Here is a few facts

The disaster that is upon us now happened under that wonderful previous board and their lack of ability to run the place without noticing fruit loops with syringes full of calves sperm injecting players. Appointing amatuer forum buddies to tasks. Hiding from the mess, hiring asdad insiders to buttfarg us and then alerting the media that we were using f**king horse d rugs

Criticism of the new board may well be warranted

But you show your colors and stretch credibility when you assign sainthood to the bumbling rabble that caused the current mess

Pretty much.
It seems to me, that they were looking at one thing and one thing only and let other shit slide.

You can't let this shit slide.

Frailty

First Grade

Here is a few facts

The disaster that is upon us now happened under that wonderful previous board and their lack of ability to run the place without noticing fruit loops with syringes full of calves sperm injecting players. Appointing amatuer forum buddies to tasks. Hiding from the mess, hiring asdad insiders to buttfarg us and then alerting the media that we were using f**king horse d rugs

But you show your colors and stretch credibility when you assign sainthood to the bumbling rabble that caused the current mess

Considering the thread is on the current board, I focused my criticisms on them. One of the critiques is that they struggle to connect with the fans of the club - which is something the previous board happen to do extremely well. No motherhood emotional statements - it can be seen through the increase in membership under their reign.

The previous board had some severe flaws. The board took on a much to hands on role in the everyday function of the football club, thinking they could get by without a CEO, etc. where real expertise is required. They also failed to ensure an efficient and effective governance structure was in place.

Do not create a strawman argument from my post. I never said the previous board was perfect or great. Just that they were successful in bringing in and connecting with fans, because they had a better understanding of the mentality and needs of fans. This is demonstrated through increasing membership numbers.

millersnose

Post Whore
The new board have had one off season of the most awful publicity in the clubs history and your kpi is membership growth...and then waffle about 'connecting with the fans'

You were the one who decided to benchmark the new guys vs the old

Well let me tell you

Outside the little CSsc circle jerk the previous board goes without parralel as the most disastrous in the clubs history

taipan

Referee

Here is a few facts

This :clap:

If we had gone to the NRL when we were financially embarrassed(circa 2010) and asked for an interim CEO appointed by them to handle the affairs,and to repay them over a period,would be a darn side more efficient from a governance perspective and indeed not involve the costs legal/fines/possible suits that confront the club at this point of time.

Trouble was we had goose Gallop running the shebang,and the money was skint.

I repeat how the hell can we judge a new board whilst this ASADA mess is still raging,it is out of the club's hands and in the hands of a quasi govt body,that at times does not know its a*se from its earhole.

stevie013

Juniors
This :clap:

If we had gone to the NRL when we were financially embarrassed(circa 2010) and asked for an interim CEO appointed by them to handle the affairs,and to repay them over a period,would be a darn side more efficient from a governance perspective and indeed not involve the costs legal/fines/possible suits that confront the club at this point of time.

Trouble was we had goose Gallop running the shebang,and the money was skint.

I repeat how the hell can we judge a new board whilst this ASADA mess is still raging,it is out of the club's hands and in the hands of a quasi govt body,that at times does not know its a*se from its earhole.

quite easy to judge the baord through all this because they came to power knowing full well the situation and said they would be the best people to steer us through it and come out the other side bigger and better.

are we in a better position now than what we were when they took over?

id so no we arent. you need to look no further than the jersey to see that. sponsors walking mid term, sponsors not re-signing cause the board asked for more money, sponsors not continuing because the board asked for more money. members walking because the board asked for more money. see the pattern?

they are probably going to ask to get paid for the services at the agm as well.

they talk about good governance by them when they cant even follow the constitution correctly when announcing the agms and selling our ground to some pizza guy without our consultation.

the only positive i can find is that they so far havnt managed to f**k up the development and it seems to be on track.

taipan

Referee
quite easy to judge the baord through all this because they came to power knowing full well the situation and said they would be the best people to steer us through it and come out the other side bigger and better.

are we in a better position now than what we were when they took over?

id so no we arent. you need to look no further than the jersey to see that. sponsors walking mid term, sponsors not re-signing cause the board asked for more money, sponsors not continuing because the board asked for more money. members walking because the board asked for more money. see the pattern?

they are probably going to ask to get paid for the services at the agm as well.

they talk about good governance by them when they cant even follow the constitution correctly when announcing the agms and selling our ground to some pizza guy without our consultation.

the only positive i can find is that they so far havnt managed to f**k up the development and it seems to be on track.

How is it easy to judge any board"when the following is all up in the air:
@ ASADA hasn't handed the final details to the NRL
b) No one player at the Sharks has been charged or issued with an infraction notice to date
C)We have a king's ransom in fines and legals
D ) No large sponsor will go near us whilst this crap is hanging around.
Look at the Dogs as a classic example.
So the steering through the stormy waters ,will continue until to it's all over red rover.At least the CEO Noyce will not suffer fools or get us into more shyte

Whilst you can argue,the board went outside the proper channels to secure cheaper finance as a negative.the club is saving a hell of a lot of Bank interest in so doing.So from that perspective we are better off.

If none of this ASADA crap was floating around and we had no sponsor,membership was down I would be jumping on them right now.

The previous board and Damien in particular is to be applauded for their foresight in getting the development approved,that is never in question.Probably the best decision the club has made in its 47 years IMO.

But whilst all hands were to the oars on that,the football side was not receiving the proper governance it should have been.Else Dank would have stank from day 1.The Football side governance it would appear was almost non existent.

Perhaps the NRL under MR AAh Um should have been on to it,and ensured a fulltime CEO was on hand.

Last edited:

stevie013

Juniors
b) No one player at the Sharks has been charged or issued with an infraction notice to date
So the steering through the stormy waters ,will continue until to it's all over red rover.At least the CEO Noyce will not suffer fools or get us into more shyte

Whilst you can argue,the board went outside the proper channels to secure cheaper finance as a negative.the club is saving a hell of a lot of Bank interest in so doing.So from that perspective we are better off.

If none of this ASADA crap was floating around and we had no sponsor,membership was down I would be jumping on them right now.

The previous board and Damien in particular is to be applauded for their foresight in getting the development approved,that is never in question.Probably the best decision the club has made in its 47 years IMO.

But whilst all hands were to the oars on that,the football side was not receiving the proper governance it should have been.Else Dank would have stank from day 1.The Football side governance it would appear was almost non existent.

Perhaps the NRL under MR AAh Um should have been on to it,and ensured a fulltime CEO was on hand.

we can easily judge the current board because of the fact that they quite clearly stated that 'they were the best men to navigate us through this mess that we are currently in'.

now can you honestly say they are doing a good job of what they promised (more sponsorship because of their business contacts for example)?

i definately cant.

newman

First Grade

So if we can't sit in judgement of the board should they call the AGM off?

carcharias

Immortal
we need to get the footy side in order.
a total redo.

It needs to be ultra professionalism from now on...no blow-ins with bugger all training/expertise.

I saw one of our clubs main blokes all kitted up with his clip board in hand ....waiting at the bus stop the other morning.

It just didn't seem like something one of Wayne Bennett or Dessie's main offsiders would be doing.

Frailty

First Grade
The new board have had one off season of the most awful publicity in the clubs history and your kpi is membership growth...and then waffle about 'connecting with the fans'

You were the one who decided to benchmark the new guys vs the old

Well let me tell you

Outside the little CSsc circle jerk the previous board goes without parralel as the most disastrous in the clubs history

I am not a member of the CSSC and have never been a member of the CSSC.

It is completely ridiculous of you to claim the previous board was the most disastrous in the clubs history. Not only is it a gross exaggeration, it flies in the face of 'using facts' which you criticised previously.

And please note, I'm not claiming the previous board was the best or fantastic before you claim as such.

My KPI is membership growth, sponsorship, merch sales, and overall financials.

You have not directed any sort of retort to any of my arguments made. You have simply claimed ASADA being the most awful publicity, and the old board was shit.

So whilst my discussion about membership, sponsorship, and merchandise strategies used by the current board may seem like motherhood statements and waffle, you have not made any claims about the current board strengths or weaknesses supported with any facts.

I look forward to you to continue to create strawmans and unfounded claims.

millersnose

Post Whore
A development application was submitted long before the last board

it is not uncommon for such applications to be rejectedon all sorts of grounds such as electricity and gas supply, traffic, greenys worried about the fate of a rare maggot living in the swamp.

it is also common for these issues to be addressed in subsequent applications and it was always likely that the land was going to be eventually be permitted development.

it was not 'forsight' it was the bleedin obvious and unless evidence emerges that the previous board either donated the land themselves or created some marvellous unique argument that saw the application succeed on those merits alone then the best that can be said is they didnt f**k it up

i am all for holding the new board to account but lets retain some grip on the realities the current board faces due to the abject failure of the previous one

if memory serves me correctly even before the asada debacle we were not in a great position with sponsorship and unless I am mistaken announcing 'our players take horse steroids' isnt exactly gunna get potential sponsors knocking down your door

and then have the hide to blame the new board while praising the old

get a f**king grip guys

Latest posts