What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Optus snatches English Premier League rights from Fox Sports in Australia

ggmu

Juniors
Just hearing about this now but i hope it doesn't effect the amount of games they shoe per week. As in hopefully where ever optus decide to show the epl its all games not just a select few every weekend.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt they would have offered all that cash just to show a few games a week, they gotta get that money back some how.

Haffa

Yeah, I love those live in Full HD Free streams without the buffering or giving your computer aids that are available everywhere.

Pommy

Coach
I'm more than happy with the current model I think I pay around $50 to have an assortment of shite channels plus all the sport. I don't think that such a bad deal considering it has every EPL game available (something you don't get even in England) and now every NRL game plus F1 A league, international football etc etc.
I live is SW Sydney and the Internet is nowhere near good enough to be streaming reliably.
Depending on the final outcome of how the EPL is available I'm a little disappointed to be honest.

Glen

Bench
Was just looking at beIN Sports after deflatingly realising the Arsenal/Barca game isn't on Fox in the morning. If it is currently $17 per month with sweet FA content then they must be charging a fortune from the start of the new EPL season

hellteam

First Grade
bein sports is an absolute scam.

$17 a month for one channel, 75% of the time the game you want isn't even on TV so you need to stream it online. Terrible quality, barely watchable most the time. They're a disgrace.

thorson1987

Coach
bein sports is an absolute scam.

$17 a month for one channel, 75% of the time the game you want isn't even on TV so you need to stream it online. Terrible quality, barely watchable most the time. They're a disgrace.

3 bein sports channels to be added to the sports package on Foxtel for no extra cost.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/foxtel-signs-football-deal-with-bein-sports-now-available-to-all-subscribers-within-sports-package/news-story/7db7487d22a13537a4f307ecde601140

ggmu

Juniors
Was pretty pumped about this when i got the email today. Hope the keep showing championship football as well as the occasional League 1 and 2 games. I dont see them listed in the article.

saint.nick

Coach
I know I'm stating the obvious but if foxtel didn't lose EPL rights then this wouldn't be happening...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
And Optus want about $90 a month for EPL access and you must be an Optus subscriber.

The EPL is part of their package but its not much of a package.

Dogs Of War

Coach
And Optus want about $90 a month for EPL access and you must be an Optus subscriber.

The EPL is part of their package but its not much of a package.

I could see Optus doing a Telstra and changing there mind and giving it free to Optus subscribers. I can't see how it could work paying that amount a month plus being an Optus subscriber. Unless they are trying to put a money value on it and then say see how much you save.

hellteam

First Grade
Ok so, bit of news on this. But it's not really good.....

http://www.finder.com.au/optus-reveals-epl-pricing-what-will-you-pay?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=/optus-reveals-epl-pricing-what-will-you-pay&utm_campaign=

From what I can see it basically looks like you to be an Optus customer of some sort to get it. Optus mobile and broadband customers get it unmetered. I think people without Optus mobile or broadband will need to get a Fetch box and connect into their own broadband data.

I'm lucky because my mobile plan ends in September, so I'll probably switch over to Optus. Using unmetered mobile 4g should be fast enough to stream HD.

And then I think I could use a Chromecast to get it onto the TV? Not 100 percent sure that Chromecasts can do that though.

Can see this being a massive failure.

hellteam

First Grade
Actually if you're a mobile customer you can get a "fetch mini" which will stream on tv, I assume through data on your phone, for $5 a month

Danish

Referee
so as expected the premier league will be screwing its ratings and fans in oz for some short term gain of whatever meagre money Optus paid them relative to their world wide TVrights.

Also just FYI you need an $85+ plan to get access to unmetered data. So that's $100 per month to watch premier league. Horrible stuff.

Allowing Optus to lock streaming to their own customers exclusively is a huge mistake. Even Telstra doesn't pull that shot with the NRL

skeepe

Immortal
So as I'm not an Optus customer for broadband or mobile, and don't want to be ever, I simply can't watch EPL?

What a disgrace.

Latest posts