What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orford the new Kimmorley??

fizman

Bench
Have the times changed that much so quickly??? Only a few seasons ago Brett Kimmorley paraded himself around to a number of NRL clubs chasing his signature. He was lambasted for it, and rightly so. Supporters get tired of reading in the media that players are going to this club one day and another club the next.

Season 2005. It seems quite common practice for "marquee" players to parade themselves to all and sundry about what they are thinking. Every detail of negotiation seems to be reported.

Is this a part of Rugby League that the supporter MUST now accept as part of the game??

I don't believe that messrs Orford, Anansta and now Ross have copped the same flak as Kimmorley did previously.

Thoughts????

aussies1st

Staff member
If you look at all three players the club virtually had to let them go so the fans understand that because of the cap they cant keep all their good players. Kimmorley i would take wasnt outsted cause of the cap and thus the clubs fans werent happy about it as Kimmorley was betraying their club

And if Orford leaves he's doing the same thing considering he's been reportedly offered more to stay at Melbourne than to shift to Manly. And no offence to Souths, but you wouldn't want to go there would you?? Don't worry, he's copping it from Melbourne fans (and I'm not one of them) - I just want him to sign and be done with it all

The Tank

Bench
fizman said:
I don't believe that messrs Orford, Anansta and now Ross have copped the same flak as Kimmorley did previously.

Thoughts????

Ross was only recently released. Give the guy some time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
UndertakerMike said:
Orford is bringing this on himself.

I hope there is a good reason for his postureing :?

why is it such an issue for a Guy like Orford or even Anasta for that matter, to look after himself in a career that he only has limited time in?

Dunno about it being an issue just the time taken to come to his conclusion.

I hope Orford dose well at his new Club (Althou not against us ;-))

I hope he dose leave/stay for the right reasons eg: family/lifestyle and not for an extra $20,000 or so.

fizman

Bench
eelavation said:
why is it such an issue for a Guy like Orford or even Anasta for that matter, to look after himself in a career that he only has limited time in?

It's a fair point you raise. I guess I am trying to draw a comparison in what is happening in 2005 compared to the scathing attacks given to Kimmorley a few seasons ago.

It would "appear" to be a more accepted practice these days.

Stagger eel

Staff member
UndertakerMike said:
Dunno about it being an issue just the time taken to come to his conclusion.

I hope Orford dose well at his new Club (Althou not against us ;-))

I hope he dose leave/stay for the right reasons eg: family/lifestyle and not for an extra $20,000 or so.

this is probably being harsh, but the reason he's taking his time is his allowed too.

Zaphod

Juniors
I dont think they should cop sh*t. In the corporate world you dont just make a decision about your future overnight. Last time I had 3 job offers on the table I had to go into negotiations with each of them and the employer I was with at the time. It took over a month to strike a deal and make the decision. Because of the amounts of money and the public profile they have the decision for them is understandably more difficult

eelavation said:
this is probably being harsh, but the reason he's taking his time is his allowed too.

Harsh???? How so?????

And what is Bell, Kearns Glen Turner, Cooper Cronk ect... supposed to do while fielding offers waiting for Orford to make up his mind.
Why shouldn't the club or his team "mates" want this resolved ASAP.

Zaphod said:
I dont think they should cop sh*t. In the corporate world you dont just make a decision about your future overnight. Last time I had 3 job offers on the table I had to go into negotiations with each of them and the employer I was with at the time. It took over a month to strike a deal and make the decision. Because of the amounts of money and the public profile they have the decision for them is understandably more difficult

And in the meantime if the Company that you were negotiating with needed that position filled and the work done they would lose the contract therefore affect more people than just your position.

Zaphod said:

:clap: 100% agree.

ozboy

Juniors
I think the main motivation for Orford leaving the Storm would be to come to Sydney and further prove his representative capabilities. I reckon he probably thinks that by playing fo a Sydney club he would have a better chance of making the rep teams.

Though if the money Manly are offering is not comparable to that of the Storm's he wil probably end up resigning, as joining Souths would be a massive risk considering they look to be staying down the bottom for the foreseeable future.

Zaphod

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
And in the meantime if the Company that you were negotiating with needed that position filled and the work done they would lose the contract therefore affect more people than just your position.

Perhaps. but you let them know the situation, let them know your negotiating with other offers and let them know what those offers are.
That way they might make the decision for you by dropping out of the race, or they may increase their offer to make it more attractive to you.

Its part of negotiating and its part of business

Stagger eel

Staff member
UndertakerMike said:
Harsh???? How so?????

And what is Bell, Kearns Glen Turner, Cooper Cronk ect... supposed to do while fielding offers waiting for Orford to make up his mind.
Why shouldn't the club or his team "mates" want this resolved ASAP.

if you Brian Wadran [spelling] and you think that way, you simply put a deadline on him or turn around and say Thanks for your services Mr Orford, we'll give you jumper to Mr Cronk and use the money we've offered to develop and sign some other players.

easy japaneasy!!

eelavation said:
if you Brian Wadran [spelling] and you think that way, you simply put a deadline on him or turn around and say Thanks for your services Mr Orford, we'll give you jumper to Mr Cronk and use the money we've offered to develop and sign some other players.

easy japaneasy!!

I think that is what has happened.

(but they are keeping the door open.)