What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...es-investigation/story-fndujljl-1226594345487

NRL boss Dave Smith warns there is more pain to come for Cronulla Sharks as ASADA continues investigation

Andrew Webster
The Daily Telegraph
March 10, 2013 11:30PM

DEFIANT Cronulla players last night took to the field in the hope of casting aside the doping scandal that threatens to rip their club in two.

The sobering reality this morning is that they have another month of turmoil and pain before ASADA finishes its investigation, according to NRL chief executive Dave Smith.

"I met with ASADA last Friday and they told me that they are probably four weeks away from finishing with Cronulla," Smith told News Limited last night. "I really want it done as quickly as I can. Fundamentally, we need to get it done and dusted. That's their job. They have to get to the bottom of that, as soon as possible for the sake of everybody."

Will the Sharks last that long? If the strength of their fans and, most importantly, their rock-solid playing group is any indication, they will.

That was evident in something as simple as the thick piece of Elastoplast wrapped around one of captain Paul Gallen's biceps, with the names "Flanno", "Noakes", "Phys", "Doc" and "Moons" written in support of benched coach Shane Flanagan and his sacked coaching staff.

One man few were feeling sympathy for seemed to be chairman Damian Irvine.

His decision to tell The Sunday Telegraph that Flanagan and his coaching staff oversaw the injection of "horse drugs" in 2011 only inflamed the imbroglio.

Irvine told those close to him he would decide in the next 24 hours about whether he would quit.

Surely, if Flanagan is reinstated he cannot work under a chairman who has questioned him so publicly. Flanagan said he "ain't that stupid" when asked if he had any knowledge of players being injected with the peptide TB-500, which is usually pumped into very fast racehorses.

Numerous banners around the ground made it clear the Sharks faithful want Flanagan back, giving him the benefit of the doubt that a trigger-happy Irvine and his board were not prepared to give him.

Seven minutes into the game, the chant started: "BRING BACK FLANNO!"

Before last night's season opener against the Titans at Sharks Stadium, Flanagan's stand-in, Peter Sharp, revealed the depth of stress the players have been under.

"Physically, everyone has been sick," Sharp told Triple M. "There's not a lot of sleep. There's a lot of stress on these players. It's tragic circumstances, it's been a tough week for everyone in the club. The last 48 hours have been very traumatic, especially for those 14 players that have a dark cloud hanging over their heads. It's like 50 shades of grey. There is no definitive truth."

That truth is something Smith says he's doing his best to unearth, even if there is growing concern that headquarters isn't rallying around innocent Sharks players when they need it most.

"The ASADA investigation, which I am pushing so hard to be concluded as quickly as possible, should be looking at those things," he said.

Smith will meet Bruno Cullen during the week about becoming the Shire's Mr Fixit.

Cullen said on Saturday he'd probably have been parachuted into the Sharks regardless of the drugs scandal because of its precarious financial state.

That the NRL have placed four administrators says a lot about where Cronulla have been headed.

bartman

Immortal
The last two lines basically say Perth by 2017 to me... and no way Irvine won't quit after arriving back to see what he has done with his comments earlier today.

BunniesMan

Immortal
A) f**k off wizardman
B) 4 more weeks of rumours and people getting mad and conpiracy theorists getting more paranoid. Wake me up when this shit is over.

Pierced Soul

First Grade

DJShaksta

First Grade
nothing will happen because the AFL is apparently cutting a deal so no one gets suspended. http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/nr...-boss-dave-smith/story-fn7siop0-1226593596042

remarkable coincidence essendon "outed" themselves a few days before the farcical press conference, and despite being the main focus for illegal activity last year asada are chasing the sharks over alleged doping a few years ago

This.
If the Sharks players are guilty suspend them.
Same goes for all guilty parties.
No immunity deals.

Diesel

Referee
The last two lines basically say Perth by 2017 to me... and no way Irvine won't quit after arriving back to see what he has done with his comments earlier today.

I think you could be right Bartman but like Perth Red will agree, the West need their own team, not one from the East Coast.

Reading that the Sharks days are numbered in Cronulla and the brand has been damaged means a move rather than a cull is on the cards, and I'd rather see the Sharks based in another city rather than not at all.

IMO, Perth should have its own team, Adelaide is possible but a part relocation over 5 years rather than a full one, the CC belongs to the Bears and Brisbane has 3 possible bids already however Brisbane should be considered so either Brisbane2, NZ2 or CQ.

The writing is on the wall and the NRL need the Sharks but Cronulla isn't a long term option.

Brutus

Referee
If ASADA is to be treated as a serious organisation then Essendon MUST go the the same way as the Sharks.

It would be an utter disgrace if they got off thanks to a back room deal.

super_coach

First Grade
Now if we let the Sharks be relocated or even perish, will we prepared to see the same thing happen to the Knights and Manly if it is revealed that they have also been involved in the drug scandal ????I dont think so

Diesel

Referee
Now if we let the Sharks be relocated or even perish, will we prepared to see the same thing happen to the Knights and Manly if it is revealed that they have also been involved in the drug scandal ????I dont think so

IMO the NRL won't let any team perish, however Cronulla, then Manly are the two teams most likely tho be pushed out of Sydney. Manly's only saving grace to stay in Sydney would be that they are the only club on the northern beaches.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
the storm managed to survive the salary cap rorts. i know their team was a lot better and have a better setup than the sharks but they went a year playing for nothing

i dont think relocating the sharks does much for anyone. if there is shown to widespread doping (there's still no hard evidence) then i'd rather a cleanout of the guilty parties rather than just relocating a club. I don't think this HAS to be the end of a club. if they were banned as a club for 2 years by asada then it might be

IMO the NRL won't let any team perish, however Cronulla, then Manly are the two teams most likely tho be pushed out of Sydney. Manly's only saving grace to stay in Sydney would be that they are the only club on the northern beaches.

They are the only club north of the harbour , not just the northern beaches.

They are essential. Otherwise we are completely giving up an area of 500K+ people to union and afl. It would be utter madness.

Cammo

Bench
I don't want to see any team relocated unless it was coming from the team itself. I would hope that the NRL does not "push" relocation upon any side.

I also don't want to see any teams die off or be kicked. The Sharks will come through this and so will the game after everything has been done.

Sugar

Bench
If Asada finds more than 1 team has broken Asada regulations and its widespread throughout the sport do they have the power to shut down the entire 2013 comp ?

Frailty

First Grade
They are the only club north of the harbour , not just the northern beaches.

They are essential. Otherwise we are completely giving up an area of 500K+ people to union and afl. It would be utter madness.

So 500K are Manly fans now?

Interesting why their membership and crowds are just as low if not lower than Cronulla's...

Status
Not open for further replies.