What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canard

Immortal
I think failing a drug test being the only way to convict an athlete are as out of date as Loudy's music tastes.......

ek999

First Grade
Didn't 2 cyclists out themselves after Lance Armstrong. Cost one of them their job as head of a cycling team. Neither of them had failed a drug test

Cletus

First Grade
ASADA often works with federal agencies (in particular customs). Many overseas drug cases which ASADA has the same powers have banned athletes as a result of federal investigations. Like the balco scandal in the US.

The nrl to keep government funding has agreed to play by the WADA rule book and they try and give themselves as much power as possible because science moves so fast.

Sure but with customs they'll have evidence to share eg steroid vials. The ACC gathers intelligence and then passes it on to relevant authorities, but they can't pass on their phone taps to be used as evidence. If this had been kept secret the ASADA may have been able to collect evidence but as it stands now I doubt they'll get anything useful. Unless some moron confesses.

betcats

Referee
Neither got caught either if they outed themselves....anyway ill accept that a positive test is not the only way to prove it, i was never really of that opinion anyway, I just thought it was very rare for an athlete to be banned with out failing a test, seems that im wrong.

Fire

First Grade
this-thread-delivers_dhl.jpg

I'm afraid the lack of positive drug tests, even if true, means virtually nothing. No one said these revelations were going to be a bunch of positive tests. If so ASADA would have already dealt with them, unless they are in-house tests, which are pointless anyway. The lack of positive tests only rules out one of many, many possible issues in relation to this case. It doesn't mean all players are/have been clean and it doesn't mean there is no other evidence against clubs or players relating to doping or any other offence.

BunniesMan

Immortal
How is that even a headline. It's safe to assume that none of the 6 clubs have a positive test. Counts for little.

BM1979

Juniors
Seems some people need to learn how to moderate a forum. Edit the part out you don't like instead of deleting the whole message.

So as it stands we have:

Manly - Past & former players cleared of using performance enhancing drugs.

North Queensland - Seen at low risk and after one-on-one meeting with ASADA are very confident of any wrong doing not happening at the club.

Newcaslte - After one-on-one meeting with ASADA are very confident of any wrong doing not happening at the club.

Canberra - Seen as low risk and are very confident of any wrong doing not happening at the club after a one-on-one meeting with ASADA

Penrith - Stating that investigation will take months to complete

Cronulla - Remaining silent on the issue.

Is there a link to that , I thought all he said was that no players had tested positive which being a cycling fan means jack sqaut to be honest.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Triple M NRL ‏@TripleM_NRL Danny Weidler on 9 reporting that the Cronulla Sharks will soon come out saying they have had NO POSITIVE drug tests in recent years #nrl

This is indeed a revelation! No positive tests to something that isn't detectable by testing your piss!

Cronulla should fess up to what they are being investigated for. North Queensland, Canberra, Newcaste and Manly all claiming to be have been given a ranking on the low side.

What has Cronulla been up to?

DJShaksta

First Grade
This is indeed a revelation! No positive tests to something that isn't detectable by testing your piss!

Cronulla should fess up to what they are being investigated for. North Queensland, Canberra, Newcaste and Manly all claiming to be have been given a ranking on the low side.

What has Cronulla been up to?

Oh what a wicked web we weave when first we practice to deceive

Mods, can we ban this idiot pls

El Diablo

Post Whore
why did the media demand the NRL clubs be named?

they are not demanding the alleged 9 AFL clubs mentioned be named

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=845084&vId=3807221&cId=Sport

AFL clubs in report to be told next week
Updated: 01:01, Wednesday February 13, 2013

AFL clubs will find out from the league during briefings next week which of them have been identified in an investigation as vulnerable to prohibited drugs.

Six NRL clubs identified in the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) report into drugs in professional sport and corruption links were advised of that fact by their league on Monday night.

But despite the AFL also being granted permission by the ACC on Monday to inform their clubs, they will wait until individual meetings with officials from each club next week to do so.

There are only two AFL clubs identified in relation to suspected performance-enhancing drug use.

One of them, Essendon, have already outed themselves, with the Bombers under investigation to determine whether several of their players took performance-enhancing drugs, possibly without knowledge they were doing so.

The other club, whose identity is known to the AFL, has just one player suspected of performance-enhancing drug use, although the league doesn't know the name of the player.

Several other AFL clubs - reportedly as many as nine - have been identified in the investigation as being vulnerable to illicit drug use.

The AFL say while they can tell all of those clubs they were identified in the investigation, they can not tell them the specific details of why they were mentioned.

That means they won't tell the club with one player suspected of performance-enhancing drug use that that is the case, only that that club was identified in the investigation for some reason.

The AFL meetings with four key staff members in each club - the president, chief executive, general manager of football and senior coach - will begin next Tuesday and continue over the following days.

Those meetings - announced by AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick last Thursday, hours after the ACC report was released - will be used by the league to brief club officials on the report and what actions the league is taking in response.

AFL corporate affairs manager James Tonkin said the league didn't feel the need to ring clubs immediately, as all AFL clubs had been warned at a drugs summit in late January that they were vulnerable to illicit drugs.

'We're not doing a ring-around,' Tonkin told AAP.

'We're calling every club in over the coming days to give them a briefing about the report.

'So in that briefing we will notify clubs that have been mentioned.

'We don't feel there's a need to notify specific clubs immediately because the issue of vulnerabilities to illicit drug use is already high on the agenda of the AFL clubs.'

Earlier on Tuesday, Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said the AFL should give clubs as much information as possible on their vulnerability to illicit and performance-enhancing drugs.

'The performance-enhancing (issue) has pushed illicit drugs off the agenda,' Buckley told reporters.

'But I think in both instances clubs are wanting as much information as they possibly can get so that you can make better decisions.'

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Dan Le Batard of the Miami herald with an interesting article on the selective moralities of both fans and media http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/03/v-fullstory/3214586/dan-le-batard-issues-of-morality.html

I agree in many ways and he makes a good point about healing v cheating but the reason I oppose peds while being fairly liberal on drug laws is the following.

It turns sport into an arms race.

Like any drug some people react better than others so the argument about Armstrong being the best anyway doesn't hold water. His body responded the best to the doping schedule.

It forces anyone who wants to become an athlete into using potentially dangerous drugs just to stand a chance of competing.

And lastly (less important in these specific cases) it forces women to f**k around with their hormones. Making them need to choose between sport and gender.

I really couldn't give a f**k what recreational drugs a person does. Its not my business if players pop a few pills to enjoy a night out. Performance enhancing drugs being accepted so liberally create the above issues in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts