What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
At everyone sooking and saying "they have nothing!". Do you realise that A) the investigation is not over and B) just because they haven't given you the details does not mean there are no details.

Yes the press conference was unfortunately timed but people focused on that are missing the much bigger picture.

Everyone is using this as some sort of proof that whatever or whoever they don't like is responsible.

Some people would have you believe Murdoch and his papers are Gillards stooges.

If you think testing is the only way to prove drug cheating you're a fool. There is other ways and that is what this investigation is about.

What other ways?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
What other ways?

Importing a drug, avoiding a test, having the drug on your person or home, be involved in the use of a drug in anyway (this one is kept intentionally vague so they can ban based on picked up conversations and the like)

stop thinking of ASADA as a court of law and more like a government body with a lot of power that can ban on circumstantial evidence.

Cletus

First Grade
Phone tapping, bank records, witnesses, among other things. Drugs cost money, when money is involved if you look hard enough there will always be a paper trail.

The ACC evidence can't be used in other jurisdictions and ASADA can't tap phones. Short of someone admitting to it or a receipt for a banned substance they are going to struggle to ban anyone.

betcats

Referee
I'll ask this for BM and Pete Cash, I genuinely do not know the answer, but I dont think it would be many, if any at all.

Who has ever been banned in Australia when they havent failed a test??

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
They are obviously hoping individual players dob themselves in

Otherwise they would of just charged them

Or we have to do is stfu. And all will be good

BunniesMan

Immortal
What I am wondering is why is it even news that players haven't failed tests? Surely if they did they would have been suspended and we'd all have known about it.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'll ask this for BM and Pete Cash, I genuinely do not know the answer, but I dont think it would be many, if any at all.

Who has ever been banned in Australia when they havent failed a test??
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/s...one/story-e6frf4pu-1226375861924#.URrftZkzHFo

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/hormone-buyer-calls-twoyear-ban-joke-20120402-1w8ox.html

That's just two. Its also pretty likely the kid picked up the other day will end up banned and that's through text messages.

Frailty

First Grade
Also please note it was announced at the ACC Report press conference that ASADA were being given investigative powers similar to those that USADA had.

Lance Armstrong was caught out without failed a WADA Protocol drug test.

This is why this investigation will take months if not years to finalise.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The ACC evidence can't be used in other jurisdictions and ASADA can't tap phones. Short of someone admitting to it or a receipt for a banned substance they are going to struggle to ban anyone.

ASADA often works with federal agencies (in particular customs). Many overseas drug cases which ASADA has the same powers have banned athletes as a result of federal investigations. Like the balco scandal in the US.

The nrl to keep government funding has agreed to play by the WADA rule book and they try and give themselves as much power as possible because science moves so fast.

ek999

First Grade
I'm not surprised that no player has tested positive. If a test was positive don't they announce the player failed the A-sample and the B-sample is also being tested.

They don't normally stay quiet about a positive test for very long

betcats

Referee

I should of said 'without Failing or refusing the test or possesing the drug' - They are the easy ways.

The kid? I dont know who you mean but if he is going to get banned from just texts then this is the type of case I meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.