What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armageddon.

Juniors
Maybe back when the sharks first joined the comp everyone involved put lots of money on them to still be without a premiership 50 years later.

BM1979

Juniors
I agree in many ways and he makes a good point about healing v cheating but the reason I oppose peds while being fairly liberal on drug laws is the following.

It turns sport into an arms race.

Like any drug some people react better than others so the argument about Armstrong being the best anyway doesn't hold water. His body responded the best to the doping schedule.

It forces anyone who wants to become an athlete into using potentially dangerous drugs just to stand a chance of competing.

And lastly (less important in these specific cases) it forces women to f**k around with their hormones. Making them need to choose between sport and gender.

I really couldn't give a f**k what recreational drugs a person does. Its not my business if players pop a few pills to enjoy a night out. Performance enhancing drugs being accepted so liberally create the above issues in my opinion.

Also the rich clubs/Teams can afford the better Drugs/ Programs/ Doctors so little guys will be left even further behind

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The ACC has just handed this off. It was clearly leaked to the AFL and thats probably the biggest scandal that will come out of this.

There are senior people involved in investigative agencies who are spewing about all of this. Calling bullshit. The ACC will hand off to them now and they will be made to take the fall.

Mere political point scoring. The worst example I have ever seen, but under The Witch, everything is a new low and I'm not surprised.

Nothing will come of this for the AFL or NRL of any consequence, rather than their tarnished brands.

I hope they sue the f**k out of whoever is responsible.

Clarke

Juniors
For those whinging about how this process is unfair to innocent players, well i say it's necessary and painful. The above mentioned Commission took its toll on the morale of the police force, including clean ones, but ultimately, it reformed the force and validated innocent officers.

And at the completion of the investigation the Police force is both still seen as corrupt (unfair) and has a large amount of corrupt people involved with it.

Media reports have confirmed that 50 individuals (current and ex-players) have come up during investigations.

Is it 50 NRL players or 50 sports athletes across the codes?

*put my original reply in the wrong thread

It seems to me at the moment that only The Sharks have (possibly) had an issue with what was in the report.

If that is the case why have the 5 other clubs been dragged through the mud over this when they have little to worry about.

All this could just turn out to be a Cronulla and Essendon show as opposed to an Australian sporting shame.

I still hope The Sharks are still in the clear and that they are just being cautious, but the longer they stay quiet the worse it looks for them

I agree, I much more worried about the Cronulla than anything other NRL club at this moment in time. I also have not been that won over by the noise Penrith is currently making.

What I am wondering is why is it even news that players haven't failed tests? Surely if they did they would have been suspended and we'd all have known about it.

In the overall scheme of things it's not news. But under these circumstances where Clubs are trying to ease fears of their players, fans, sponsors and members. Saying something as little as this but at the same positive along with saying "we are low risk with tentative links to us in the report" becomes news. Especially for those stakeholders.

The ACC has just handed this off. It was clearly leaked to the AFL and thats probably the biggest scandal that will come out of this.

There are senior people involved in investigative agencies who are spewing about all of this. Calling bullshit. The ACC will hand off to them now and they will be made to take the fall.

Mere political point scoring. The worst example I have ever seen, but under The Witch, everything is a new low and I'm not surprised.

Nothing will come of this for the AFL or NRL of any consequence, rather than their tarnished brands.

I hope they sue the f**k out of whoever is responsible.

A Class action by all Sports organisations that attended that press conference against the Australian government. The "Government" does not change even if an election puts another party in charge.

Canard

Immortal
A Class action by all Sports organisations that attended that press conference against the Australian government. The "Government" does not change even if an election puts another party in charge.

For what though?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
This is a bit of a witch hunt

not a bit of a witch hunt, it's a massive witch hunt. reminds me of my old school principal at assembly saying "we know who did X, come and see me after and you wont get into as much trouble". AFAIK no one ever admitted to anything he warned about, and if he knew who did it he wouldnt be talking about it at assembly

Hang on, I thought the 6 clubs named thus far was specifically in relation to PED's and that illicit drugs/match fixing has not yet been addressed?

who knows wtf has been addressed. this whole investigation is all over the place. for all we know a player put a bet on a game and they're investigating it as match fixing :crazy:

bottle

Coach
Well, thanks to my fellow posters for the educative matter contained herein.
I'm now convinced that if there is in fact ANY evidence of untoward activity dredged up a result of all of this, it's whole genesis will probably be as a result of Julia and co having distributed any illegal substances themselves.
I now await a Today Tonight report showing Govt ministers hanging around the corner from schools with bags of hooch just so that they can justify increased spending on drugs programs.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Even if the claims made that sport in Australia is having its darkest day ever are grossly exaggerated, something somewhere is rotten to the core.

If we go off denials, Cronulla and Penrith must be seriously up shit creek!

Obviously as far as Australian sport goes, these are nothing clubs.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Even if the claims made that sport in Australia is having its darkest day ever are grossly exaggerated, something somewhere is rotten to the core.

If we go off denials, Cronulla and Penrith must be seriously up shit creek!

Obviously as far as Australian sport goes, these are nothing clubs.

Cronulla have come out and said the same as Manly.
No players have failed tests.

CrazyTiger

Juniors
Cronulla have come out and said the same as Manly.
No players have failed tests.

This is not going to be about failing drug tests. Gus has suddenly changed his tune. Cronulla have gone very quiet! No emphatic denials from these two clubs.

Manly were low to medium.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Manly Low to Medium - release statement saying no players failed drug tests.
Cronulla have released a statement saying no players failed drug tests.

Huge difference. Cronulla very quiet..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts