What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The AFL is aware of only two specific cases where WADA-prohibited performance enhancing drugs may have been used in the AFL.

"The AFL is aware of one case involving the possibility of WADA-prohibited performance enhancing drug use by one player at one Club.

"The AFL is aware of a second case involves the possibility of WADA-prohibited performance-enhancing use by multiple players at another club.

"In this second case it is possible that players were administered the WADA-prohibited drugs without their knowledge or consent.

"The AFL is not aware of any other specific instances where use of WADA-prohibited performance enhancing drugs may have occurred.

He never mentions recreational drugs.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Are you incapable of reading?

The NRL and ACC are working on the framework to inform clubs over the next 24-48hrs, once they are informed then they can come forward. But no club has been notified as of yet. :roll:

The PM is talking about AFL clubs because they have been informed by the AFL. The PM doesn't give a shit about the NRL.

The PM is a pharking moron full stop.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I guess that would all depend on how many players from that team were involved.
All raised concerns won't be addressed till we know the full extent of the situation.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who cares about recreational drugs. If you think ANY club, NRL or AFL or any other code, is immune you're crazy. Each club has dozens of teenagers and twenty somethings, of course at least some in every group will be doing some pot or something else. They're not immune to the things that affect all of gen Y. I'd be shocked if any sporting club in Australia could boast that none of their players touch recreational drugs at all.

Big difference between someone eating some funny brownies after a game and Performance Enhancing Drugs. Those are the real problems.

Who cares about recreational drugs. If you think ANY club, NRL or AFL or any other code, is immune you're crazy. Each club has dozens of teenagers and twenty somethings, of course at least some in every group will be doing some pot or something else. They're not immune to the things that affect all of gen Y. I'd be shocked if any sporting club in Australia could boast that none of their players touch recreational drugs at all.

Big difference between someone eating some funny brownies after a game and Performance Enhancing Drugs. Those are the real problems.

Within sport "recreational drugs" might not be considered more serious than performance enhancing drugs, but in law they are. Considering you are one of the dickholes who wants shoulder charges banned because of an imagined civil legal threat you look like a complete twat for suggesting illegal drug use by players should be ignored by clubs and the league.

BranVan3000

Coach
Who on Manly looks like they have taken HGH bar maybe T-Rex? Sorry but we probably have some of the most non-athletic looking players in the league. And if we only had one or two on our team taking some banned substance we won't be stripped of anyting
Des Hasler uses a hair growth hormone obviously

Nightward

Juniors
Who cares about recreational drugs.

I'm going to go for the controversial answer and say: the Police.

Not only that, the overwhelming majority of rugby league fans. Whether they like it or not, whether they want to be or not, they are role models and it sets a bad example.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Who on Manly looks like they have taken HGH bar maybe T-Rex? Sorry but we probably have some of the most non-athletic looking players in the league. And if we only had one or two on our team taking some banned substance we won't be stripped of anyting
Remember the Knights players that were suspended more than a decade ago? They didn't look like Hulk either.
I'm going to go for the controversial answer and say: the Police.

Not only that, the overwhelming majority of rugby league fans. Whether they like it or not, whether they want to be or not, they are role models and it sets a bad example.
I'm all for them facing the consequences if they're caught. But to mention that in the same breath as match fixing and PEDs is ridiculous.

To put it bluntly, I only care about NRL players in terms of them playing rugby league. I'm a fan, I care about them playing footy and how they do that. So match fixing and PEDs are very relevant. But what they do in their personal life when it comes to recreational drugs is none of my business. If they get caught I expect them to be prosecuted and that's the end of that.

But if this big song and dance by the government is mostly about recreational drugs, it will be the biggest overreaction in the history of the world.

Canard

Immortal
Its tip of the iceberg stuff though.

If any drug be it PEDs or recreational means players have links with organised crime, this has the potential to affect the integrity of the sport.

Didn't you claim to be a Cop.
Get cracking son & solve this case.

Patorick

Staff member
Someone start warming up the Bunniesman-mobile...

All kidding aside, we expecting anything from Dank tonight despite denial?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/doping-report-a-warning-to-crime-groups-20130211-2e7zg.html

Doping report a warning to crime groups

Date
February 11, 2013 - 12:24PM

Ilya Gridneff
Crime Reporter

The head of the Australian Crime Commission has revealed its controversial drugs in sport report was more about prevention than reaction, focusing on stopping organised crime groups infiltrating the country's favourite codes rather than catching those previously responsible.

ACC chief executive John Lawler told Fairfax Media the report released last Thursday was a "shot across the bow" to crime groups identified associating and working with sports clubs, players and managers.

"We don't want to give them (criminals) too much detail, who we are on to. But we've given a broadside to those organised criminals to say we're aware of what you're up to," he said.

When the report was released last week, Richard Ings, the former head of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA), said: "This is not a black day in Australian sport, this is the blackest."

But sports players, commentators and fans have begun questioning the report's veracity as confusion reigns over who was involved and to what extent.

Mr Lawler said the most important aspect of the report was highlighting sports' "risks and vulnerabilities".

"I don't mean to be trite about it. But this is only one part of the puzzle, what's happened in the past, the most important part is to harden the environment," Mr Lawler told told Fairfax Media in an extended interview on Saturday.

"How do we work with the police and codes and the players to harden the environment and make a long-term impact so that people are protected – that's what the Commission is on about."

Mr Lawler said "complex and interwoven structures" prevented the ACC from exposing the individuals or groups identified by their intelligence.

But it is expected on Monday or Tuesday that the NRL code will inform clubs if they have been fingered.

On Monday, Fairfax Media reports that at least seven and as many as nine AFL clubs have been found by the ACC to be vulnerable to illicit drug activity and similarly exposed to organised crime activity.

"I am a glass-half-full person," Mr Lawler said. "I am saying there are very strong preventive and public safety and very import messages to stop the criminals doing what they are doing now through making this public."

On Sunday evening NRL chief executive Dave Smith said the NRL was working urgently with Tony Whitlam, QC, to establish a "formal set of procedures with the ACC" through which information could be passed to the clubs.

However, once notified, the clubs have no obligation to tell the public if they have been accused of doping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts