What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Organised crime and drugs in sport investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
For all those saying Smith should have done what the AFL did have a read of this http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...eged-rogue-doper/story-e6freck3-1226574753324

AFL urged to name and shame the alleged rogue doper

Matt Windley, Scott Gullan
February 10, 2013 11:30PM

FRUSTRATED clubs have implored the AFL to come clean with the identity of an alleged rogue drug taker.

Confusion reigned last night after AFL deputy chief executive Gillon McLachlan confirmed multiple Essendon players were being investigated for performance enhancing drug use and revealed an individual player from an unknown second club had been named in the Australian Crime Commission coruption in sport report.

The AFL has sought permission from the Crime Commission to reveal currently classified details from the Operation Aperio report.

The league last night said it was still negotiating with the ACC over what could be released, to whom, and with what conditions.

"We've all just been left hanging because we don't know if it's us," one AFL chief executive said.

"I can't tell you if our club is clean because we haven't been told."

Other club chiefs shared the frustration that while it was known only two clubs had been implicated, the public was open to believe the second club was any one of 17 teams.

Essendon last night said it was "fully co-operating" with an Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation.

"In this case it is possible that players were administered the WADA-prohibited performance enhancing drugs without their knowledge or consent," McLachlan had said earlier.

so it has only frustrated clubs

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Lots of concerns there, star players, stomach injections, "equine use only", quitting clubs to get away from sports science people. If even half of this stuff is true things will blow up in the coming days/weeks/months.

why are stomach injections suspicious. Why to you are you concerned by subcutaneous injections over intramuscular injections.

edit

just did some googling and it seems hgh is injected subcutaneous lots and lots of peds are injected intramuscularly. It seems weird that in a thread where some unaccredited sports scientist is shooting calves blood into players muscles you get sus at another common form of injection. Could have been just giving the players some pain medication.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
why are stomach injections suspicious. Why to you are you concerned by subcutaneous injections over intramuscular injections.

edit

just did some googling and it seems hgh is injected subcutaneous lots and lots of peds are injected intramuscularly. It seems weird that in a thread where some unaccredited sports scientist is shooting calves blood into players muscles you get sus at another common form of injection. Could have been just giving the players some pain medication.
How about you read the article. It says the player wasn't happy about it. Obviously if it was necessary medication or treatment you wouldn't be sooking about getting it.

Clarke

Juniors
I know a lot of people who at times need needles to stay healthy or prevent illness, I would say these injections are fairly necessary & yet they complain about it all the time.

WayneBennett

Juniors
I , for one am completely over this shite. Name names, put up or shut up. Its just so ferkin general , i cant see anything here but poltical advantage.

Anyone right now remember Thompson and his hooker slush fund ?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
How about you read the article. It says the player wasn't happy about it. Obviously if it was necessary medication or treatment you wouldn't be sooking about getting it.

Nobody likes being injected in the stomach. Its just a convenient spot for subcutaneous injections.

Like I said maybe dodgy but also maybe just a player having a sook over an injection site.

Would you have reacted the same way if the player was complaining about being injected in the upper thigh. Its just the papers going isn't that a weird spot. Well some diabetics will use the stomach to inject subq. The stomach is no more suspect than the upper thigh. Its like saying injecting into the bicep head is more sus than injecting into the glutes. They are just injection sites.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I , for one am completely over this shite. Name names, put up or shut up. Its just so ferkin general , i cant see anything here but poltical advantage.

Anyone right now remember Thompson and his hooker slush fund ?

Craig Thomson bought players drugs on a union credit card. ?

It has been explained why the ACC can't just name names.

RWB

Bench
I have not seen one player named as yet!

I never said a player had been named, I clearly said rumours. Everyone's heard them...

People are ignoring the main issue - this is obstensively about match fixing - with banned substances merely a contributing circumstance.

Based on what? The report states potentially one fixed match, if that's the main issue we must have read a different report.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Nobody likes being injected in the stomach. Its just a convenient spot for subcutaneous injections.

Like I said maybe dodgy but also maybe just a player having a sook over an injection site.

Would you have reacted the same way if the player was complaining about being injected in the upper thigh. Its just the papers going isn't that a weird spot. Well some diabetics will use the stomach to inject subq. The stomach is no more suspect than the upper thigh. Its like saying injecting into the bicep head is more sus than injecting into the glutes. They are just injection sites.

EPO is normally given sub cut unless you are on haemodialysis and it is given IV

Spot On

Coach
Finally, those gimps bagging ASDA - who would you suggest take over the job? Meals on Wheels?

Good to see you've had your B12 shot Loudtwat. Takes a lot of energy and time to reply in bulk as you tend to do.

You seem very adept in the ways of gimp. You certainly refer to it a lot.

Meals on Wheels isn't a bad suggestion. At least the players would get a feed after pissing in the bottle and they would find just as much drug use as ASADA has.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Indeed but if it was such an infamous drug as epo I reckon something would have leaked. Plenty of your bigger name disgraced sport scientists would use blood thinners (also injected subq) to try and stop epo related blood clots.

I just reckon a one off subq injection that a player had a moan about isn't that suspect and its just muckraking because many people probably haven't had an injection in the stomach.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I don't get everyone's rush for clubs and players to be named.

"Clear the innocent" is a cop out.

It's a criminal investigation.

People have to be charged. Courts have to make decisions. Those charged have a right to defend themselves and appeal.

It's going to drag out. Have patience folks.

until the clubs have been named it casts a doubt over the whole competition. the way this has been handled is atrocious. I have no issues with their investigation but surely these "findings" shouldnt be announced until they're ready to charge people. all they've managed to do is cast a doubt on all of australian sport and taken the govt off the front pages (insert tin foil hat smiley). lets say it's x amount of clubs implicated, currently it could be ANY of 16 clubs. plenty of clubs will be running around wasting time for shit which may not have happened at their club

It has been explained why the ACC can't just name names.

it's a bullshit reason though. why do the grandstanding and then go 'you cant tell anybody'

if they're serious about these allegations they would be allowing the alleged offenders to be named so the process of investigating them can be done properly. All tehy've done is stir the pot then tell the NRL and AFL you cant do anything with the info

Canard

Immortal
Id say there will be clearer knowledge of who is and isn't within days (if not hours)

The AFL have already jumped, or to be honest were pushed by one of there own clubs, its going to happen in the NRL now.

Id reckon there is a lot of discussion behind closed doors happening as we type.

Status
Not open for further replies.