What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin 3 sold out

Paullyboy

Coach
Great news.

The best thing is they are looking at a way of introducing 3000 standing only tickets. That would make the stadium look awesome and would increase the spectacle in Melbourne.

LESStar58

Referee
If this game means Storm end up getting better crowds and exposure I'll dance a f**kin jig!

Green Machine

First Grade
This morning, 2KY’s Big Sports Breakfast, they could not work out why the ARL are taking the Origin to Melbourne. The latest spin from Ritchie Freeman (now the game was close to a sell out) is that if the Storm can’t get a crowd after the next Origin, the NRL should throw in the towel in Melbourne. 12 months ago, he was predicting that they would be struggling to get a crowd for a State of Origin game in Melbourne.

Just listening to 2UE now and tosser called Murray Olds going on about the poor ratings for Melbourne for the State of Origin screened after 11.00pm. Murray thinks because Channel 9 won’t put the game on at a reasonable time, that no cares about Rugby League in Victoria. He went on about why would they take a game away from NSW and would rather see the game in Orange than Melbourne.

LESStar58

Referee
Green Machine said:
This morning, 2KY’s Big Sports Breakfast, they could not work out why the ARL are taking the Origin to Melbourne. The latest spin from Ritchie Freeman (now the game was close to a sell out) is that if the Storm can’t get a crowd after the next Origin, the NRL should throw in the towel in Melbourne. 12 months ago, he was predicting that they would be struggling to get a crowd for a State of Origin game in Melbourne.

Never heard of this bloke but I can tell he's already a f**kknuckle! What a pissweak excuse to offer up!

Most Victorians are too ignorant to follow our great game week in week out but we will get a massive crowd, maybe a sell out, for the broncos if Waldron and his team play their cards right.

Its really a matter of media outlets in Melbourne playing fair and doing the right thing by us; the RL loving public of Melbourne!

LESStar58

Referee
Green Machine said:
Just listening to 2UE now and tosser called Murray Olds going on about the poor ratings for Melbourne for the State of Origin screened after 11.00pm. Murray thinks because Channel 9 won’t put the game on at a reasonable time, that no cares about Rugby League in Victoria.

Of course it barely rates! Nobody stays up that late!

it is only on late because the fella in charge of programming, Len Downes, has an anti-RL agenda and the excuse he ALWAYS offers up is that RL doesn't rate in Melbourne, particuarly with the female audience.

I don't know how he expalins the 450K people who watched the GF last year or the 300K odd that watched the decider that was on at 9:30 last year. ;-)

I firmly beleive that we were shut out by the media in Melbourne after our premiership in 1999. The holier than thou attitde of the melbourne media wankers is that how dare a foreign code take away press from our precious AFL.

We get no promotion on TV. Even the ads for Storm and Origin 3 are relegated to late at night when, not so long ago, they were on in prime time on the evening news.

It's called fear. Plain and simple! Sydney fears that Melbourne will take their trophy off them and Melbourne and the AFL fears that the Storm will move in and take a decent chunk of their market!

Wankers like Murray Olds should try living down here and put up with what us RL lovers deal with week in week out! Then again, he IS on 2UE!

Paullyboy

Coach
The timing of ad's has nothign to do with media bias (I know other things do though). You pay for a timeslot, so obviously the ARL or NRL (whoever is marketing it) have decided to go for predominantly late night slots.

LESStar58

Referee
We are funded by News LTD! FFS sake we supposedly upped our media budget for this year!

Why can't we by decent airtime? Cos the prices we proably have to pay are inflated!

Green Machine

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
Never heard of this bloke but I can tell he's already a f**kknuckle! What a pissweak excuse to offer up!
Richard Freedman is the brother of Lee Freedman. Richard also appears on “the Back Page” on Foxsports and writes a column in the Sunday Telegraph. His real passion is AFL and Rugby Union. He started out writing about Horse Racing and of late he has taken an interest in telling soccer fans that soccer will never take over from AFL & Rugby League. 2KY is NSW’s only morning sports radio show and we have to put up with his crap each morning

Most Victorians are too ignorant to follow our great game week in week out but we will get a massive crowd, maybe a sell out, for the broncos if Waldron and his team play their cards right.

Its really a matter of media outlets in Melbourne playing fair and doing the right thing by us; the RL loving public of Melbourne!
The buck stops with Channel 9 Melbourne, which is the same company that owns Channel 9 in Sydney and Brisbane. They have never gone out of their way to do anything for Rugby League. I don’t expect any difference with the tool they have employed as CEO.