What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: American footy thread

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think if this were true Sydneysiders, NSWmen and Australians would like RL more. Even in Sydney it isn't anywhere near as popular as American Football is in basically every city/town in America.

yanks have NFL then daylight, thats all they have and all thy play at schools, colleges etc

In Oz we have many codes to pick from so not really an apples for apples comparison. If you've ever lived in Vic, AFL is the only game they play in schools, its like a form of brain washing at an early age otherwise Victorians would be more open to other codes much like the Yanks with their NFL.

T-Boon

Coach
I like both. Nfl is a great game but I have more of a bond to the Eels and it means more to me of they win then the team I support in Nfl....

I have long been the same but the last 5 years or so I have realised I relate to the eels players less than I use to and I don't think they care about the club and I actually don't like NRL footballers or the clubs.
One of the reasons I follow college football more than NFL is the players aren't all about the money yet.

T-Boon

Coach
yanks have NFL then daylight, thats all they have and all thy play at schools, colleges etc

In Oz we have many codes to pick from so not really an apples for apples comparison. If you've ever lived in Vic, AFL is the only game they play in schools, its like a form of brain washing at an early age otherwise Victorians would be more open to other codes much like the Yanks with their NFL.

I still think how keen the fans are on the sport is one way to measure which sport is actually the better sport.

jk13

First Grade
NFL has better set up, rule and roster flexibility, transparency and analytics (maybe too much). Hard to compare game enjoyment as its apples and oranges. Both have divas and genuine nice blokes. I’m just over NRL bias to some teams, it’s gotten boring and we don’t have enough smart thinkers to invent schemes that can beat the robotic wrestle

Kornstar

Coach
I personally like the game of NFL more than RL, however being so far away from all the hype makes it harder to be as passionate.

Don't get me wrong i get up at 3am, soon to be 4am and then onto 5am (cause of daylights savings across the countries) to watch the Colts and i cheer them on as hard as i do the Eels each week but not being able to be around any of the hype in the cities and teams around game day/week etc. does take away from it a little.

T-Boon

Coach
I personally like the game of NFL more than RL, however being so far away from all the hype makes it harder to be as passionate.

Don't get me wrong i get up at 3am, soon to be 4am and then onto 5am (cause of daylights savings across the countries) to watch the Colts and i cheer them on as hard as i do the Eels each week but not being able to be around any of the hype in the cities and teams around game day/week etc. does take away from it a little.

How good is Q Nelson going ?
First superstar guard.

T-Boon

Coach
I’m just over NRL bias to some teams, it’s gotten boring and we don’t have enough smart thinkers to invent schemes that can beat the robotic wrestle

The problem for league in trying to overcome the wrestle is all coaches admit they spend 80% of their time on defence which means only 20% gets spent on attack (AND YOU CAN TELL).

So essentially NRL defense has gone full time professional...while attack is still part time semi professional.

hindy111

Post Whore
He needs to find some form that's for sure.

I feel they signed Jaellon Hurtz as insurance. If Wentz doesn't perform this season and mid way through next they may take a huge hit on him.

Our group really is pathetic. I felt giants may move forward this season. Dallas will win it but they are also a mess on defense.

Kornstar

Coach
FFS Stan Jurd could have scored that against the arm grabbers.

Yes because we never see arm grabbing in the NRL when a defender is isolated.........

The complication in the NFL is the isolation and blocking and the size of the isolation.

In NRL you generally have defenders inside and outside of you and there are no blockers allowed.

Just FYI, you also see some great defence from players to stop those types of plays.

T.S Quint

Coach
Yes because we never see arm grabbing in the NRL when a defender is isolated.........

The complication in the NFL is the isolation and blocking and the size of the isolation.

In NRL you generally have defenders inside and outside of you and there are no blockers allowed.

Just FYI, you also see some great defence from players to stop those types of plays.

There is also a big emphasis on trying to strip the ball out to get possession. A lot of the time players will risk not making the tackle at all just to have a go at getting the ball. It’s pretty dumb but it works occasionally.
The Niners actually scored a TD last weekend because a defender was too busy going for the ball instead of just making a tackle.