What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Suitman

Post Whore
What an amazingly inaccurate report. I was at the game and it was nothing like this. I'll provide facts if anyone is interested.
Channel 7 and 9 report like this to protect their NRL and AFL products.
I've always wondered what they are scared of regarding football?
Football isn't a competitor. Infact, it is an ally of RL and has assisted in having 2 new stadiums built.

the phantom menace

First Grade
So were police not forced to break up angry crowds who turned on each other and was Moore Park's memorial footbridge not damaged?

I find it strange that a media corporation could get away with publishing inaccurate statements, if they're demonstrably untrue.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So were police not forced to break up angry crowds who turned on each other and was Moore Park's memorial footbridge not damaged?

I find it strange that a media corporation could get away with publishing inaccurate statements, if they're demonstrably untrue.

They've done it countless times before - all they have to do is issue an apology, and retract the story.

My dad was the GM for the company that created the subdermal birth control implant for women.

Women started coming forward, saying the product was defective, as women were falling pregnant, bleeding, etc.

The media jumped on it, and went for the company's throat.

During the course of litigation, the company's lawyers proved that the company sponsored, and paid for, events to educate doctors on how to properly install the implant - most doctors arrogantly refused to attend, and so did not install the implants correctly.

When it was all said and done, all the media had to do was retract their allegations that the company was not a responsible corporate member, and that the product was defective, and they issued a half-arsed apology - and that was that.

I saw first-hand the damage this reckless behaviour from the media left behind.

The media get away with murder, because "free speech" is way more important that holding people accountable for their behaviour.

TLDR - the media can say what they want, apologise, retract the story, and continue as if nothing ever happened.

the phantom menace

First Grade
TLDR - the media can say what they want, apologise, retract the story, and continue as if nothing ever happened.
Fair enough, and I agree with everything you're saying there.

But in this case, there seemed to be footage of police enaging with post-match crowd, and footage of damage to the footbridge. Is anyone claiming these things didn't happen, or that this story is inaccurate?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Fair enough, and I agree with everything you're saying there.

But in this case, there seemed to be footage of police enaging with post-match crowd, and footage of damage to the footbridge. Is anyone claiming these things didn't happen, or that this story is inaccurate?

I'm not sure - I'm not familiar with what happened, mate.

But I'm no fan of the media, that's for sure.

Suitman

Post Whore
Written by a RL journalist, who works for the SMH, who are owned by Channel 9, who produced the original over dramatic and "it's the end of the world" report that laughably led Sunday night's news.
4 arrests from a crowd of 34 232 actually compares more favorably than AFL, RL, RU and cricket for similar sized crowds.
The backlash that 9 received from that news report 0n social media may possibly have instigated this article.

Last edited:

the phantom menace

First Grade
Must admit I missed any "end of the world" aspect in the video of the report that was posted - and completely missed any social media backlash... guess it mustn't have "trended" or made it into my feed?

Keen to see how the Socceroos do in their games this month though.

Chipmunk

Coach
If I'm not mistaken, alcohol sales are also banned in the UK whilst the match is on. I reckon most fans of most other nations don't even have a drink at the ground anyway.