What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

strider

Post Whore
Im not a keen follower, so my observations might be misguided ... but it seems like the player turnover is massive in the a-league ... hard to follow who is good from year to year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Actually I missed the game as I was out at karaoke.

And of course if a game goes down to the wire that doesn't mean that the preceding 80-odd minutes were good quality.
If it's close it's always exciting. That's part of the massive appeal of soccer, even when it's played at less than elite standard.

phantom eel

First Grade
If it's close it's always exciting. That's part of the massive appeal of soccer, even when it's played at less than elite standard.
So you do agree that excitement/close finish is a different thing to the standard of game play?

Kind of like an action blockbuster film compared to a best picture oscar nominee... nothing wrong with enjoying an entertaining action film, but let's not try to pretend it's something it's not.

phantom eel

First Grade
Found "Not Guilty".
Mute point raised.
*moot

And "not being found guilty" is different to being found "not guilty". Try not to make assumptions from an article headline...

Here's the quote from the actual findings statement re the incident:

"Brendon Santalab accepted that Ali Abbas genuinely believed that the offensive word had been used and did not challenge the fact that Ali Abbas believed he had been the subject of racial abuse," read an FFA statement.

"Having regard to the circumstances surrounding the incident, particularly the undisputed high noise levels and in the absence of other eyewitness or corroborative evidence, it was possible that Ali Abbas may have misheard what was said by Brendon Santalab.

"Therefore the committee was not satisfied to the necessary standard of proof that the offending words were used by Brendon Santalab and dismissed the matter."

https://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-a2d4-Santalab-not-guilty-of-racial-slur

Nowhere was he found "not guilty". He was lucky to be let off on technicalities.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you do agree that excitement/close finish is a different thing to the standard of game play?
Yeah of course.

Kind of like an action blockbuster film compared to a best picture oscar nominee... nothing wrong with enjoying an entertaining action film, but let's not try to pretend it's something it's not.
It is entertainment. Why hold it to any standard other than how entertaining it is?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nowhere was he found "not guilty". He was lucky to be let off on technicalities.
If you want to get into jargon, he wasn't even charged. It was just one man's word against another and the only court that hands power to the accuser is the court of public opinion.

phantom eel

First Grade
Yeah of course.

It is entertainment. Why hold it to any standard other than how entertaining it is?
Well, the discussion was about the standard of the A League competition, relative to the standards of play evidence in other competitions around the world...

You're the one that introduced excitement as a factor to that discussion, and by admitting that it has nothing to do with determining standard of play you've gone full circle, and out the revolving door again...

#poulogic

phantom eel

First Grade
If you want to get into jargon, he wasn't even charged. It was just one man's word against another and the only court that hands power to the accuser is the court of public opinion.
I stand by my opinion that he is a racist and bigot.

And I never claimed he was charged - I was simply refuting that he was "found not guilty" as someone had tried to claim.