What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Association Football

Eelementary

Post Whore
Is the issue with gressroots soccer that the players are mainly B-grade athletes with the better athletes still going to other sports

Definitely an issue.

Participation rates at grassroots football is very high.

I'd also say that the earning potential not being competitive is a big factor - how much can the top A-League payer earn?

How much can an Australian cricketer, AFL, or NRL player earn?

We also have it indoctrinated that certain play styles are not to be exhibited - when I was playing under 17s for my local comp, one of my teammates was a very skilful solo striker - he'd find space, beat his man with speed, and dribbling, and take a shot at goal.

He didn't go any further than that level, because the coach told him that he needed to play "team-first football".

One of my other teammates made the reserve grade Sydney FC side many years later - he was a Matt Leckie-type (fast, hoof it into the box at every opportunity by instinct).

We need to invest in the sport more, in order to be competitive.

It's painful watching our men's national side play with barely any skill with the ball.

Incorrect

Coach
Definitely an issue.

Participation rates at grassroots football is very high.

I'd also say that the earning potential not being competitive is a big factor - how much can the top A-League payer earn?

How much can an Australian cricketer, AFL, or NRL player earn?

We also have it indoctrinated that certain play styles are not to be exhibited - when I was playing under 17s for my local comp, one of my teammates was a very skilful solo striker - he'd find space, beat his man with speed, and dribbling, and take a shot at goal.

He didn't go any further than that level, because the coach told him that he needed to play "team-first football".

One of my other teammates made the reserve grade Sydney FC side many years later - he was a Matt Leckie-type (fast, hoof it into the box at every opportunity by instinct).

We need to invest in the sport more, in order to be competitive.

It's painful watching our men's national side play with barely any skill with the ball.
It's hard to invest when there is no broadcast dollars like league and AFL get. Cricket Australia get big bickie's by selling their soul to the BCCI...

Suitman

Post Whore

Lol.
Are you kidding me?
Earning potential is far beyond what NRL/AFL players can ever dream of.
Not in the A-League of course but if they are good enough, the sky is the limit.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It is outside the cap, so as much as a top A-League club can afford. I don't know how much that is though.

I'd think that, given the points you outlined before, that the earning potential is lower in the A-League.

A 20-year old playing rugby league semi-regularly could probably earn somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000; I doubt an A-Leaguer could do that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Lol.
Are you kidding me?
Earning potential is far beyond what NRL/AFL players can ever dream of.
Not in the A-League of course but if they are good enough, the sky is the limit.

Yeah, sorry - I meant exclusively in the A-League.

I know overseas players get much more money.

hindy111

Post Whore
I'd think that, given the points you outlined before, that the earning potential is lower in the A-League.

A 20-year old playing rugby league semi-regularly could probably earn somewhere between $100,000 and $200,000; I doubt an A-Leaguer could do that.

I reckon with football if your good then you can make it $$ but if you're just average A league level you won't be making heaps or attracting much interest unlike NRL.
In NRL even guys who are NSW cup / NRL potential will get interest.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Maybe, but the player earning ~$150k in the NRL might be in the top 300 players in the world. With the limit on foreign players in the A-League, an Australian player only needs to be in about the top 250 players in Australia. Most of these guys wouldn't even be in the top 5000 players in the world, but they have a job in the A-League because the clubs need a majority of Australian players.