1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Gronk, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Poupou Escobar

Poupou Escobar Post Whore

It is. She obviously looks like her mother too.

2. Gronk

Gronk Moderator Staff Member

3. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Will be interesting to see the scope of the Royal Commission.

4. Hollywood Jesus

Hollywood Jesus Coach

Firstly, I posted their summary paragraph but I did link to the entire document. If you didn't read it (shock, horror) then that's not my fault.

Secondly, so you agree that the evidence to establish a link between climate change and drought is not there? Cool.

Thirdly, plant food blah blah blah. It's irrelevant as it has nothing to do with climate change. If the severity of the fires was caused by drought (not linked to climate change) and more plant food (not linked to climate change) and precipitation (not due to climate change - which all claims wet areas will get wetter [wrong, see Southeast Asia and northern South America] and dry areas will get drier [wrong, see Australia]) then there's no grounds to link climate change to the fires.

There is no credible evidence anywhere linking the two. Propagandistic headlines don't count. Sarah Hanson-Young doesn't count. Some guy on the morning show doesn't count. Your preferred political narrative doesn't count.

Keep acting like there is. That's fine. We both know you're wrong and just politicising a tragedy. I don't care about internet points, I care about the truth, and we both know that's on my side.

5. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

I've read enough of it to understand you completely misrepresented the term "low confidence" in the context in which it was used.

There's not enough quality historical data to quantify whether there is or isn't, that's the entire reason behind the "low confidence" on the issue. Again, your claim was the IPCC was definitive that there was no link, they make no such definitive claim. Your claim is false.

Desperately pleading you are right is, well, kinda desperate mate. I mean imagine, increased levels of Co2 have nothing to do with climate change? Increased levels of precipitation, nope that's got nothing to do with climate change neither, what about increases in temperature?

Really mate, your entire argument here boils down to all of these changes in our climate have nothing to do with climate change.

Ha ha, honestly, that's the ploppiest pile of plop of an argument. When I quote any of the above as a source, you might have some kind of point, 'till then though.........

Geez, are you trying to set the record here for the most logical fallacies in one short sentence?

Let's see, I got appeals to emotion and authority, proof by assertion and a little ad hominem dig or two in there. Did I miss any?

Gary Gutful likes this.
  6. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

Keep making an arse of yourself HJ. It is funny as f**k to watch.

7. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

8. hindy111

hindy111 Immortal

I don't think the long hair and beard looks that bad.

9. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Bandy is going to shave him like a Portuguese chicken

10. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

*pluck

11. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

Hey what you do with your Portuguese chicken in your own time is nobody’s business

12. Gary Gutful

Gary Gutful Immortal

He steals its lips and arsehole to make McNuggets.

13. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

...and you devour them by the bucketload

14. 84 Baby

84 Baby Coach

That’s KFC you clown!

15. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Could go for sphincter McNuggets

16. Happy MEel

Happy MEel First Grade

I considered that but packetload didn’t have the same ring to it.

17. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Can't help but feel that arse load may have been appropriate in the circumstances

18. Hollywood Jesus

Hollywood Jesus Coach

No, you haven't. The fact that you don't understand "low confidence" shows that.

You see, they don't use absolute terms like "no confidence" or "absolute confidence" or anything like that. They avoid absolutes.

So, in the absence of absolutes, "low confidence" means "no confidence".

You see, Bandy, I haven't "read enough" of the reports. I've read all of them. Every single word. So I know what I'm talking about.

But you've "read enough". Haha, you've never read a word of them in your life. Let alone gone through the entirety of one. Let alone all 5 of them.

You can try and claim that you have. I mean, it's the internet, right? But I'm just talking to you here, Bandy - I know you haven't. And you know that I know.

So claim it all you want. I know you're a politically driven liar, and you know that I know. ;)

But you, being ignorant and having a political agenda to push, hilariously use the lack of absolutes to try and claim that "low confidence" means "oh, you know...we just don't have all the evidence, right now...but you know...it still means droughts are caused by climate change...we just...you know...don't have enough evidence to say that, right now..."

The best evidence that you are pushing an agenda is how you mince words. You try to twist meanings, scrape whatever you can out of the vaguest of opportunities, all to avoid the cognitive dissonance that plagues you.

And, hilariously, you accused me of misinterpreting the IPCC report. Oh, the true hilarity there.

19. Bandwagon

Bandwagon Moderator Staff Member

IPCC AR5 synthesis report Page 53 section 1.4 Extreme Events

Top of right hand column

There is low confidence in observed global-scale trends in droughts, due to lack of direct observations, dependencies of inferred trends on the choice of the definition for drought, and due to geographical inconsistencies in drought trends. There is also low confidence in the attribution of changes in drought over global land areas since the mid-20th century, due to the same observational uncertainties and difficulties in distinguishing decadal scale variability in drought from long-term trends. {WGI Table SPM.1, 2.6.2.3, 10.6, Figure 2.33, WGII 3.ES, 3.2.7}

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2018/02/SYR_AR5_FINAL_full.pdf

So many Lolz...........

20. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

I mean, low confidence means low.

Scientists would normally use something like "there is no evidence to support..." or "no correlation was found, between..."