What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bandwagon

Staff member
The issue is heaps of old asbestos pipes. Houses in mountains for example that require trenches and perhaps a 10k cost to get from street to an individual house.
Properties on acreage where fibres may go for kms to service just a few homes.

Labor promises NBN to the house and a cost that would of ended up 5 x
And reality is wireless will take over shortly anyhows with 5g rolling out making it all redundant.
I have been operating on 4g for 3yrs now. Never an issue. Watch Netflix no problems.
Units where middle floors have no acess and require external works for cabling was another issue.

5g doesn't like solid things. Buildings will need external antennas and wiring at any rate.

Houses in the mountains will likely be as much of an issue, anywhere that population isn't concentrated enough will still be waiting forever due to the need for more towers and a distinct lack of ROI

Think about it, there is still plenty of places without 4g coverage, and that has a far superior range to 5g

hindy111

Post Whore
exactly ... the govt can't promise a cost effective way to get it to everyone

hell, even my old house in the middle of suburbia had issues with getting a coax cable in ... and NBN Co f**ked up endlessly

Plenty of installers then begin to take advantage of these government projects and lie about the difficulties of even the easy ones too get a cash grab.

strider

Post Whore
Possibly. I didn't say that was impossible so I'm not sure why you seem to think I did.

But does that mean they were on the wrong side of the law? No. Does it mean that settling prior to hearing is an admission of any sort of guilt? No.

Does it mean that other options are excluded? Also no.

Anyone who thinks that's the sole reason they settled has their blinkers on...

Anyway f**k Falonk. Wigan>>>Preacher Izzy
It means that the ARU didn't think their case was strong enough .... they wouldn't cave and end up a laughing stock after dragging it along all that time if they thought they would win

or maybe they thought Izzy's christans-fund-me had more funds than hte ARU does - lol

maybe Izzy thinks he is on a winner - and can go round the world making contracts, saying what he likes, then settling for millions

Gronk

Staff member
Gronks buddies lost the case LOL AND HAD THEIR ASSES REEMED
Izzy didnt apologise .... he made a statement that he was vindicated

Anyone who seriously thinks the ARU didnt see the writing on the wall and decided to cut their losses has their blinkers on

Of course legal rulings are necessarily "correct" rulings, but they are what they are
Nope, you’re all wrong.

The ARU had insurance and the insurance company ran the case. The stakeholders (ARU) were obviously involved in the mediation because of the public nature of the matter. Ultimately they would have had no say in the settlement financial terms.

The bald lady said this many times.

strider

Post Whore
Plenty of installers then begin to take advantage of these government projects and lie about the difficulties of even the easy ones too get a cash grab.
100% .... when the house next door had to get the cable connected, the dodgy contractors who turned up span a world of horseshit claiming they couldn't get the cable up the conduit (where my cable is also running) .... so they then called in 2 mates to help get the "bigger job" done .... biggest rort I've seen .... exactly how the govt ends up forking out bucketloads more

Bandwagon

Staff member
exactly ... the govt can't promise a cost effective way to get it to everyone

hell, even my old house in the middle of suburbia had issues with getting a coax cable in ... and NBN Co f**ked up endlessly

Yes , it could've been done much better, mostly it needed bipartisanship, rather than the adversarial approach we got.

hindy111

Post Whore
5g doesn't like solid things. Buildings will need external antennas and wiring at any rate.

Houses in the mountains will likely be as much of an issue, anywhere that population isn't concentrated enough will still be waiting forever due to the need for more towers and a distinct lack of ROI

Think about it, there is still plenty of places without 4g coverage, and that has a far superior range to 5g

Unfortunately people will slip threw the cracks. Thats life. And some people chose to live in these spots.

I know friends in the mountains. They never keep property clean, never clean gutters and chose a nice quiet peacefull spot surrounded by trees.
Is it the government's responsibility to keep their homes safe from bushfires?

What do you expect? Spend 200k to get NBN to one house in middle of whoop whoop?

hindy111

Post Whore
100% .... when the house next door had to get the cable connected, the dodgy contractors who turned up span a world of horseshit claiming they couldn't get the cable up the conduit (where my cable is also running) .... so they then called in 2 mates to help get the "bigger job" done .... biggest rort I've seen .... exactly how the govt ends up forking out bucketloads more

I had people knock on my door when the insulation thing labor introduced was free. I said already have it and they where saying look just sign here and we will give you $600...And no I did not accept it I told them to f**k off.

strider

Post Whore
Nope, you’re all wrong.

The ARU had insurance and the insurance company ran the case. The stakeholders (ARU) were obviously involved in the mediation because of the public nature of the matter. Ultimately they would have had no say in the settlement financial terms.

The bald lady said this many times.
OK .... where's the pedant cartoon ....... the ARU (or whoever was running their case) decided it was NOT strong enough to win ...... so they caved - even though it then meant the ARU had to make a public apology to Izzy and look like a bunch of clowns ..... if you think the ARU had zero say in their public embarasement then I reckon you are pretty naive ... the bald lady was trying to save some face

Bandwagon

Staff member
Unfortunately people will slip threw the cracks. Thats life. And some people chose to live in these spots.

I know friends in the mountains. They never keep property clean, never clean gutters and chose a nice quiet peacefull spot surrounded by trees.
Is it the government's responsibility to keep their homes safe from bushfires?

What do you expect? Spend 200k to get NBN to one house in middle of whoop whoop?

Nope, I'm just pointing out they'll likely be no better off with the 5g. they don't get either.

There was never any form of the NBN roll out that had the objective of 100% of premises connected with fibre to the home. Never

Bazal

Post Whore
OK .... where's the pedant cartoon ....... the ARU (or whoever was running their case) decided it was NOT strong enough to win ...... so they caved - even though it then meant the ARU had to make a public apology to Izzy and look like a bunch of clowns ..... if you think the ARU had zero say in their public embarasement then I reckon you are pretty naive ... the bald lady was trying to save some face
It means that the ARU didn't think their case was strong enough .... they wouldn't cave and end up a laughing stock after dragging it along all that time if they thought they would win

or maybe they thought Izzy's christans-fund-me had more funds than hte ARU does - lol

maybe Izzy thinks he is on a winner - and can go round the world making contracts, saying what he likes, then settling for millions

Seems to me only one person has blinkers on here...let's just all agree that Falonk is a deadshit and the ARU are a Mickey Mouse organisation.

strider

Post Whore
Yes , it could've been done much better, mostly it needed bipartisanship, rather than the adversarial approach we got.
but thats politics and government .... its inevitable these days that it will turn into a political carrot

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd tripple like this if I could.

You didn't even like it once.

giphy.gif

Gronk

Staff member
Nope. Insurance companies look at litigation differently than that you would think. Even in cases where they know they can roll the plaintiff, they settle pre-trial. The reasons behind this are actuarial and not always make commercial common sense. Companies like Allianz and Axa would look at the ARU case as small change, a drop in the ocean who turn over billions globally. They will select the outcome that suits them best at time.

Saving face might have been a motivation and gave purchase to settlement, however when and how much is at thw whim if the insurer.

Bandwagon

Staff member
but thats politics and government .... its inevitable these days that it will turn into a political carrot

Perhaps, it doesn't have to be though.

TBH I just don't think the private sector do any better, not once things start to get to such large scale. That was my point about dealing with Telstra, their head has no idea where there arse is.

strider

Post Whore
Nope. Insurance companies look at litigation differently than that you would think. Even in cases where they know they can roll the plaintiff, they settle pre-trial. The reasons behind this are actuarial and not always make commercial common sense. Companies like Allianz and Axa would look at the ARU case as small change, a drop in the ocean who turn over billions globally. They will select the outcome that suits them best at time.

Saving face might have been a motivation and gave purchase to settlement, however when and how much is at thw whim if the insurer.
Thats cool .... I have no idea how much money was involved ...... but I think the ARU apology is the thing that shows the ARU had nothing to stand on ..... and no the Izzy "I didn't mean to offend anyone" is totally different - its not a direct apology to the other side of the case, its a face saving "group hug" at the end

strider

Post Whore
Perhaps, it doesn't have to be though.

TBH I just don't think the private sector do any better, not once things start to get to such large scale. That was my point about dealing with Telstra, their head has no idea where there arse is.
I agree telcos are shit .... and i don't think private sector would have got it to everyone .... the govt probably needs to step in and deal with the private sectors short comings

Latest posts