What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Bandwagon

Staff member
I agree telcos are shit .... and i don't think private sector would have got it to everyone .... the govt probably needs to step in and deal with the private sectors short comings

Should have forced a split of Telstra into wholesale and retail, and nationalised the wholesale division to create the NBN.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Thats cool .... I have no idea how much money was involved ...... but I think the ARU apology is the thing that shows the ARU had nothing to stand on ..... and no the Izzy "I didn't mean to offend anyone" is totally different - its not a direct apology to the other side of the case, its a face saving "group hug" at the end
WTF? Have you read the joint statement in its entirety? It’s a reciprocal apology to each other. How do you give one apology more credibility over the other from this:

“Rugby Australia acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused to the Folaus. Similarly, Mr Folau did not intend to hurt or harm the game of rugby and acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused.”

Furthermore, the settlement obviously required Folau to agree to this statement:

“Mr Folau wants all Australians to know that he does not condone discrimination of any kind against any person on the grounds of their sexuality and that he shares Rugby Australia’s commitment to inclusiveness and diversity.”

https://australia.rugby/news/2019/12/04/if-joint-statement-dec

I’d argue Folau conceded more in that joint statement than Rugby Australia.

I have no idea what the settlement was but your refusal to even consider the arguments presented against your assertion suggests you can’t look at the issue objectively.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
WTF? Have you read the joint statement in its entirety? It’s a reciprocal apology to each other. How do you give one apology more credibility over the other from this:

“Rugby Australia acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused to the Folaus. Similarly, Mr Folau did not intend to hurt or harm the game of rugby and acknowledges and apologises for any hurt or harm caused.”

Furthermore, the settlement Cleary required Folau to agree to this statement:

“Mr Folau wants all Australians to know that he does not condone discrimination of any kind against any person on the grounds of their sexuality and that he shares Rugby Australia’s commitment to inclusiveness and diversity.”

I have no idea what the settlement was but your refusal to even consider the arguments presented against your assertion suggests you can’t look at the issue objectively.
we can agree to disagree ...... I see that as Rugby Australia apologising and Izzy doing the happy families group hug

Do you think I am on Izzy's side or something? ...... Hell no!!! I think he's a brain dead imbecile who doesn't deserve a f**kin cent .... I just happen to also think RA caved like a portugese chicken on their moral stance

Happy MEel

First Grade
we can agree to disagree ...... I see that as Rugby Australia apologising and Izzy doing the happy families group hug

Do you think I am on Izzy's side or something? ...... Hell no!!! I think he's a brain dead imbecile who doesn't deserve a f**kin cent .... I just happen to also think RA caved like a portugese chicken on their moral stance
Fair enough. We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edit: except for the brain dead imbecile who doesn’t deserve a cent bit. No arguments here :thumbsup:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Furthermore, the settlement obviously required Folau to agree to this statement:

I’d argue Folau conceded more in that joint statement than Rugby Australia.

Folau conceded nothing. Telling merkins they could go to hell is tough love in his worldview. That was always his position.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Folau conceded nothing. Telling merkins they could go to hell is tough love in his worldview. That was always his position.
He conceded that his actions may have caused hurt or harm to the game of rugby, just as RA conceded that their actions may have caused hurt or harm to the Folau’s. I’m not sure why you’re arguing otherwise.

Furthermore, telling merkins they’re going to hell for their sexuality also isn’t a glowing endorsement for diversity, which the statement now claims he supports alongside RA.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He conceded that his actions may have caused hurt or harm to the game of rugby, just as RA conceded that their actions may have caused hurt or harm to the Folau’s. I’m not sure why you’re arguing otherwise.

Furthermore, telling merkins they’re going to hell for their sexuality also isn’t a glowing endorsement for diversity, which the statement now claims he supports alongside RA.
Merkins-on-their-way-to-hell are just another thread in the rich tapestry that is the modern world.

Why model the past? because ideally you want data that is comparable with the data you collect now, except in so many instances it doesn't actually exist. A lot changes over time, so those changes need to be taken into account if you are going to attempt direct comparisons.

But we've got plenty of data from the past. Australia, for example, has 25 long term high quality weather stations we can draw temperature and precipitation data from, for example. America and Europe have shitloads more.

We've also got proxies coming out the wazoo.

So why has it gone from this:

2016-01-03-09-53-08-1.png

In the 1990 IPCC report (obviously minus the coloured commentary), to this:

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/arctic-sea-ice/

Or, from this:

ipcc_1990_panel3.jpg

From the 1990 IPCC Report.

To this:

hockey_stick_TAR.gif

Mann's famous (and fraudulent) hockeystick graph?

Why is there always a change where the past is erased so today looks unnatural?

Hmmm, dunno...

Screen-Shot-2017-01-10-at-7.27.04-AM.gif

And why, for another example, is NOAA now using 60% "estimated" temperature data in the US? (Marked with an "E" in their temperature data, so not hard to check) Why aren't they using real, measured data?

Gronk

Staff member
Scotty from marketing has mobilised the government and are tackling the coronavirus head on. Australian citizens who are in the red zone will be repatriated to Christmas Island by a specially chartered plane. They will be quarantined for 14 days before being allowed to enter the mainland. Now that’s the leadership we have been looking for !

Hey, hold on ...

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/assisted-departure-and-strict-quarantine-australians-wuhanhubei

Australians departing on any flight arranged by the Australian Government will be flown to Christmas Island to undertake a period of quarantine of up to 14 days based on current medical advice, as a condition of their assisted departure.

They will also be required to commit to making a contribution to the cost, consistent with normal arrangements in these circumstances.

Bandwagon

Staff member
But we've got plenty of data from the past. Australia, for example, has 25 long term high quality weather stations we can draw temperature and precipitation data from, for example. America and Europe have shitloads more.

We've also got proxies coming out the wazoo.

So why has it gone from this:

2016-01-03-09-53-08-1.png

In the 1990 IPCC report (obviously minus the coloured commentary), to this:

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/arctic-sea-ice/

Or, from this:

ipcc_1990_panel3.jpg

From the 1990 IPCC Report.

To this:

hockey_stick_TAR.gif

Mann's famous (and fraudulent) hockeystick graph?

Why is there always a change where the past is erased so today looks unnatural?

Hmmm, dunno...

Screen-Shot-2017-01-10-at-7.27.04-AM.gif

And why, for another example, is NOAA now using 60% "estimated" temperature data in the US? (Marked with an "E" in their temperature data, so not hard to check) Why aren't they using real, measured data?

What's the chances of you sourcing all the above mate? And no I don't mean "oh this is from the 1990 IPPC report, or that's from ClimateGate", I mean providing the source from where you pulled it, and copy / pasted it. And also sources for your claims made.

I'm happy enough to respond to each of these issues you put up, but I'm not about to be sent on wild goose chase of unverified thread bombing of denialist blogger copy / pastes, We've all seen this tactic before where an attempt at argument is made by simply pasting an overload of unsourced information and opinion disguised as fact, or presented as supporting whatever position, however as per above, completely devoid of true context.

Every single item I have presented here as fact has been diligently sourced so as to be verifiable and leaving the reader able to judge for themselves the reliability of the source, which is as per forum convention, I would expect the same courtesy in reply. .

strider

Post Whore
Scotty from marketing has mobilised the government and are tackling the coronavirus head on. Australian citizens who are in the red zone will be repatriated to Christmas Island by a specially chartered plane. They will be quarantined for 14 days before being allowed to enter the mainland. Now that’s the leadership we have been looking for !

Hey, hold on ...

https://www.pm.gov.au/media/assisted-departure-and-strict-quarantine-australians-wuhanhubei

Australians departing on any flight arranged by the Australian Government will be flown to Christmas Island to undertake a period of quarantine of up to 14 days based on current medical advice, as a condition of their assisted departure.

They will also be required to commit to making a contribution to the cost, consistent with normal arrangements in these circumstances.

thats saying they should pay what they would have paid to get back to australia normally, yeah? .... kinda seems reasonable tbh

the christmas island thing seems extremely odd considering it seems inapprpropriate and difficult ..... but some forced quarantine period is good I assume (dunno, I'm no medical expert) ... do we have somewhere appropriate other than xmas isalnd? You'd think we do .... it smells of a "lets make christmas island seem useful" scam

all that aside, I don't know if this corona thing is being overhyped? .... is it that much worse than other viruses gone by? .... can't help but think its at least partly media hype .... but then I'm no medical expert

Gronk

Staff member
thats saying they should pay what they would have paid to get back to australia normally, yeah? .... kinda seems reasonable tbh

the christmas island thing seems extremely odd considering it seems inapprpropriate and difficult ..... but some forced quarantine period is good I assume (dunno, I'm no medical expert) ... do we have somewhere appropriate other than xmas isalnd? You'd think we do .... it smells of a "lets make christmas island seem useful" scam

all that aside, I don't know if this corona thing is being overhyped? .... is it that much worse than other viruses gone by? .... can't help but think its at least partly media hype .... but then I'm no medical expert

I am sceptical and for the moment would like to see the detail. Is it only the flight costs or is it for medical as well ? Some tourists would have travel insurance, so they will be fine, however my guess is that the 600 being flown back spend a chunk of time in China and a chunk of time here.

I’m wondering if the merkins who were flown in from the NZ volcano irruption or the earthquake were hit with a bill too ?

You just think that when the shit hits the fan the gov are there for you. Not there for you*.

* fine print

strider

Post Whore
I am sceptical and for the moment would like to see the detail. Is it only the flight costs or is it for medical as well ? Some tourists would have travel insurance, so they will be fine, however my guess is that the 600 being flown back spend a chunk of time in China and a chunk of time here.

I’m wondering if the merkins who were flown in from the NZ volcano irruption or the earthquake were hit with a bill too ?

You just think that when the shit hits the fan the gov are there for you. Not there for you*.

* fine print
omfg ... apples and oranges like f**kin hell

Apparently the WHO is saying that countries should NOT repatriate their people .... is it good or bad australia is trying to help people out of a place where they are likely(?) to get sick? I would think maybe good .... assume no one is holding a gun at their head forcing them on a plane .... (btw - who knew a rock band cared?)

84 Baby

Referee

* fine print
How about those merkin ambulances charging you to take you to hospital?

Gronk

Staff member
omfg ... apples and oranges like f**kin hell

Apparently the WHO is saying that countries should NOT repatriate their people .... is it good or bad australia is trying to help people out of a place where they are likely(?) to get sick? I would think maybe good .... assume no one is holding a gun at their head forcing them on a plane .... (btw - who knew a rock band cared?)

Well the repatriation of our citizens should be a priority notwithstanding the cost. The root of my angst is that this government can re-open Christmas Island last year at the cost of $185m purely as a political stunt ovet the medivac bill, they can throw $100m to marginal seats during an election meanwhile are defunding the NDIS and so many other crucial projects and services.

Not just this government but all. They are all dirty untrustworthy merkins.