What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We'll have seen peoples reactions, which isn't always an indicator of how its been handled.
Just like everything else in the complex domains of life, no merkin will have any idea of the causal relationships involved between actions and outcomes. But everyone with an agenda will put his/her spin on it. I expect Gronk to post plenty of links to Twitter and other speculative opinion articles.

Don't be ridiculous. Gronk just wants you to read the room. Which I understand to mean is that you figure out what way others are leaning and go out of your way to not upset them.

Gronk

Staff member
Just like everything else in the complex domains of life, no merkin will have any idea of the causal relationships involved between actions and outcomes. But everyone with an agenda will put his/her spin on it. I expect Gronk to post plenty of links to Twitter and other speculative opinion articles.
Don't be ridiculous. Gronk just wants you to read the room. Which I understand to mean is that you figure out what way others are leaning and go out of your way to not upset them.

I’ve read this room and the vibe is salty.

hindy111

Post Whore
A lot of talk about abolishing stamp duty.
What about people who purchased in last 6mths or like myself looking to soon. It would kind of suck to cough up between 30-50k on a tax that gets removed in 6mths. And replaced with another tax.
Bad timing for folks like myself

hindy111

Post Whore
Though I reckon it will just end up on cost of house price. People generally allow the stamp duty as part of their budget.
What I do see it doing is making people less likely to renovate or do extensions knowing they wont have a 40k+ tax.
So many people I talk to do not sell and buy cause of stamp duty and instead renovate or extend.
It's an interesting tax in what it creates.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Though I reckon it will just end up on cost of house price. People generally allow the stamp duty as part of their budget.
What I do see it doing is making people less likely to renovate or do extensions knowing they wont have a 40k+ tax.
So many people I talk to do not sell and buy cause of stamp duty and instead renovate or extend.
It's an interesting tax in what it creates.
Equally, those purchasing while the decision hasn't been made will factor it in to what they are willing to pay.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Abolishing stamp duty will require it replaced with a land tax.

Would be a move forward I reckon

hindy111

Post Whore
Equally, those purchasing while the decision hasn't been made will factor it in to what they are willing to pay.

So sellers would be prepared to take 30-50k off price incase a tax might be changed in 6-12mths?
That is not going to happen at all.
People have a budget. If it's 850k then that includes the 40k stamp duty. So they look at places for the 800k mark.
It won't happen overnight but over 3 or 4 yrs that 40k will be tacked onto house price as people budget is higher. It will just fuel house prices imo and limit renoes and extensions.

People who would weigh up spending 80 -150k on a renoe will more likely just sell their property and buy something already done or bigger and better. It just wouldn't be worth the cost of renovating.

Anyhows that is my take on it. If your in the renovating/extension game I reckon you will end up down on work.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So sellers would be prepared to take 30-50k off price incase a tax might be changed in 6-12mths?
That is not going to happen at all.
People have a budget. If it's 850k then that includes the 40k stamp duty. So they look at places for the 800k mark.
It won't happen overnight but over 3 or 4 yrs that 40k will be tacked onto house price as people budget is higher. It will just fuel house prices imo and limit renoes and extensions.

People who would weigh up spending 80 -150k on a renoe will more likely just sell their property and buy something already done or bigger and better. It just wouldn't be worth the cost of renovating.

Anyhows that is my take on it. If your in the renovating/extension game I reckon you will end up down on work.
If they want to sell their house they will.

I've never gotten too sentimental about a house that I've bought. I'll offer what I think it is worth and what I want to pay and if it isn't good enough I'll move on. If I had to factor in stamp duty then I would adjust my search criteria accordingly.

Sometimes you get lucky though. Like the time I bought a house in Perth for $100K less than what the previous owner paid for it.

Latest posts