What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
How about child molesters who have been convicted and then had their conviction overturned? Who gets to check those facts? Can we even know the truth of what happened? Does a court get to decide? If the original decision was overturned how reliable could future decisions be? How do we know the higher court got to the truth?

There are obviously facts, but most of us will never know them, even if we work for a fact checking organisation. A bunch of university employees consulting 'reliable sources' for the truth? Give me a f**king break. "Hey Google..."

Is a side effect of hydroxychloroquine a snappy temper ?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think it's all very well for Twitter's CEO to state he has a left bias, or even that his company does. But I'd be taking the whole thing with a grain of salt as to how that translates into how the company behaves.

Twitters stock in trade is adversarial "conversations", there's no money for them in the creation of consensus, arguments keep people engaged, engaged people = $$$$ in their bank.

Now the idea that through their leftist bias Twitter is playing into the hands of Trump is little better than a trope, Twitter knows exactly what it's doing. Firing up Trump fires up a good many of his 80 million followers, and those aren't all Trump supporters, not by a long way. And what are they gonna do?

They're gonna engage on Twitter, They're gonna put Twitter in the news, but most of all they're gonna create revenue for Twitter.

So yeah it likely is good for Trump, but hey, the Twitter dudes don't see what a bunch of us nuffies on a little RL forum thousands of miles away can see, and somehow we know shit about their business that they don't know, f**k, really?

They're obviously wasting a shit ton of money on analytics, cause they coulda just posted in here and got their shit sorted for free!

For mine, even if the lot of Twitter's management are personally liberal leaning, in their professional life they are f**king uber capitalists, and they aren't there to change the world, they are there to make money.

And at this point in time, Trump is a f**king cash cow for them. They aren't censoring him ( FFS his comments are all there to see, how the f**k is that censorship? ) They are firing him up.

#RegisterGoesKaching!
I guess even if a large portion of people are using Twitter to say how much they hate Twitter, that's still technically a win for them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't mind Trump. He's entertaining and he's draining the swamp.

I disagree with those who say he's bad for US (and world) politics only insofar as I don't see him as the cause of ugly politics but rather as just another symptom.

wilco44

Juniors
Personally, with Trump, it isn't him - the red necks and the white Americans. That's he's the audience. He may get elected with postal votes. In California, it was big majority - A woman was cheating...lol! haha - that cracks me up.
Qld's are similar like red necks. I live here and my work, it's like that...different parts though.

wilco44

Juniors
I don't mind Trump. He's entertaining and he's draining the swamp.

I disagree with those who say he's bad for US (and world) politics only insofar as I don't see him as the cause of ugly politics but rather as just another symptom.
You probably like the UK PM fat pig..lol!

wilco44

Juniors
I do. Unlike Trump I think he'd be fun on the piss.
What about his Press...? I forget what he does, though he makes the rules, though he doesn't do them.

Around 50 k dead...UK - because 12 k they never die in hospital.

USA - 100 k and if you don't have Insurance...you're screwed.

Great legacy :mad:

wilco44

Juniors
It will be interesting with the Unions and Scomo and Business. Hawkie did it - though Scomo is the last person with Unions. I'm a One man band, though previously I had 2 different Unions. They helped me years ago with one brain injury.
It's uncharted waters with LNP...for 3 years they wanted the Unions gone...interesting to say the least.

Gronk

Staff member
It will be interesting with the Unions and Scomo and Business. Hawkie did it - though Scomo is the last person with Unions. I'm a One man band, though previously I had 2 different Unions. They helped me years ago with one brain injury.
It's uncharted waters with LNP...for 3 years they wanted the Unions gone...interesting to say the least.

Cathy Wilcox from @smh today says it all.

4A2014AE-D4DA-4D57-8271-C972B1893C38.jpeg

Bandwagon

Staff member
I guess even if a large portion of people are using Twitter to say how much they hate Twitter, that's still technically a win for them.

Bums on seats is bums on seats, the CFO wouldn't give a f**k why they're there, only that for whatever the reason is, they keep on coming back for it.

I f**king guarantee you that whatever view is projected of the politics of Twitter as an organisation, it's a thoughtfully crafted one, with the idea being to maximise Twitter's profit.

Twitter is not censoring or moderating, more accurately they are flagging posts as being potentially inaccurate or misleading and offering a link to a more factual explanation of the matter.

View attachment 38509

Fair enough on the censorship thing, which hasn't happened (yet...?) but the platform/publisher thing is very valid.

They are now presenting themselves as the presenter of facts. Doesn't that make them a publisher?

Bazal

Post Whore
Fair enough on the censorship thing, which hasn't happened (yet...?) but the platform/publisher thing is very valid.

They are now presenting themselves as the presenter of facts. Doesn't that make them a publisher?

Are they, though?

Or are they acknowledging things which may not be factual? There's a difference. After all, they don't present the posts, they just host them.

And anyway, a publisher has no obligation to publish facts. Have you used the right word there? (And I don't mean that in a snarky way btw)

Are they going to read every tweet to determine if it needs a fact check? Then research the facts? Sounds like an awful lot of work for little gain.

Bazal

Post Whore
Are they going to read every tweet to determine if it needs a fact check? Then research the facts? Sounds like an awful lot of work for little gain.

I dunno but Facebook certainly reads a f**k tonne. Did you see the news about them paying for all these moderators with various mental f**kouts?

I presume they would need reporting, and then would be assessed? Repeat shit-talkers get moderated more?