What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Tell us what you really think pete ... lol
It’s plain wrong that some merkin can call himself Pete from Hay NSW. If I was a IT nerd, I’d cyber attack his arse. I’d fix his f**kery.

giphy.gif

parra pete

Referee
and I moved from Hay 3 years ago (after 50 years) to Thurgoona (Albury) to be closer to medical facilities -- I still involve myself in the Hay community and have continued to write stories on Hay sport for the Hay newspaper..Love Hay, and its people. The community has a HUGE heart, and people look out for each other...

Suitman

Post Whore
and I moved from Hay 3 years ago (after 50 years) to Thurgoona (Albury) to be closer to medical facilities -- I still involve myself in the Hay community and have continued to write stories on Hay sport for the Hay newspaper..Love Hay, and its people. The community has a HUGE heart, and people look out for each other...

Hope ya keeping well Pete.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Except for that Oataway merkin.

Gronk

Staff member
He just doesn't know why people go on about it.

It reminds me of certain Australian Politicians who refused to be in the chamber when Rudd apologized to the Stolen Generation.

0a8c4740-9dcf-4d66-8548-0fb6028921c4

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They do go on about it. You'll find most people living in poverty had ancestors who were treated awfully. Should we only help them on a racial basis? And if not why focus on race? The only logical reason would be race baiting to win political support. Vote for us and we'll reward you for the colour of your skin.

Gronk

Staff member
They do go on about it. You'll find most people living in poverty had ancestors who were treated awfully. Should we only help them on a racial basis? And if not why focus on race? The only logical reason would be race baiting to win political support. Vote for us and we'll reward you for the colour of your skin.

Treated awfully is not the same as being owned like a farmer owns a donkey.

lf

Bazal

Post Whore

lf

Plenty of people were treated just as awfully in different ways at different times.

It's important to acknowledge these things happened and to ensure they never happen again. But it's also important not to be defined by the mistakes of our much less enlightened ancestors. Old mate is clearly racist with the "so many damn blacks" comment and there's no argument there whatsoever, but it's also important not to go too far the other way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

lf
No but let's not MINIMISE bad shit just because there's something worse. I'm sure you'd agree that's a bad thing.

My point is if we're going to help people it would be wrong to discriminate based on race.

Gronk

Staff member
Plenty of people were treated just as awfully in different ways at different times.

It's important to acknowledge these things happened and to ensure they never happen again. But it's also important not to be defined by the mistakes of our much less enlightened ancestors. Old mate is clearly racist with the "so many damn blacks" comment and there's no argument there whatsoever, but it's also important not to go too far the other way.

I am curious why the voice of the Jews is respected and when it comes to the holocaust, the topic is expected and often demanded to be handled delicately and respectfully.

In contrast since colonization, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have had many wrongs and abuses committed against them. For generations they were removed from their families, denied citizenship rights in their own country, banned from travelling freely, punished for speaking their languages and denied access to education and health care. These events didn’t happen that long ago and the multiple effects of these traumas continue to play out in the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today. When the wrongs against our indigenous folk are raised, merkins put their fingers in their ears and brush it aside. Yes they should never be forgotten, however we should not pretend that reconciliation, recognition and restitution have taken place.

John Howard was defiant in his refusal to apologize to indigenous Australians during his 11 year term. He said that he had nothing to say sorry for. "I do not believe, as a matter of principle, that one generation can accept responsibility for the acts of an earlier generation. I don't accept that as a matter of principle," It doesn't show much empathy does it ? He went on to say; "I think we persevered for too long with the notion of separate development. I think the only way the indigenous people of Australia can get what we call a fair go is for them to become part of the mainstream of the community and get the benefits and opportunities available from mainstream Australian society, whilst recognizing … the particular and special place of the indigenous culture in the life of the country."

Ironically the bolded text reflected the very assimilation policies of the White Australia Policy*.

* There was no such policy, moreso a series of Commonwealth Acts.

Assimilation policies presumed that Indigenous Australians could enjoy the same standard of living as white Australians if they adopted European customs and beliefs and were absorbed into white society:

“The policy of assimilation means in the view of all Australian governments that all Aborigines and part-Aborigines are expected eventually to attain the same manner of living as other Australians and to live as members of a single Australian community enjoying the same rights and privileges, accepting the same responsibilities, observing the same customs and influenced by the same beliefs, hopes and loyalties as other Australians.”

white_australia.jpg

Many white Australians remain astonished why our indigenous folk are still pissed off. Like some deluded kidnapper expecting that due to the effluxion of time, Stockholm Syndrome should have extinguished any animosity they have for us.

</rant>

Bazal

Post Whore
I am curious why the voice of the Jews is respected and when it comes to the holocaust, the topic is expected and often demanded to be handled delicately and respectfully.

In contrast since colonization, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have had many wrongs and abuses committed against them. For generations they were removed from their families, denied citizenship rights in their own country, banned from travelling freely, punished for speaking their languages and denied access to education and health care. These events didn’t happen that long ago and the multiple effects of these traumas continue to play out in the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today. When the wrongs against our indigenous folk are raised, merkins put their fingers in their ears and brush it aside. Yes they should never be forgotten, however we should not pretend that reconciliation, recognition and restitution have taken place.

John Howard was defiant in his refusal to apologize to indigenous Australians during his 11 year term. He said that he had nothing to say sorry for. "I do not believe, as a matter of principle, that one generation can accept responsibility for the acts of an earlier generation. I don't accept that as a matter of principle," It doesn't show much empathy does it ? He went on to say; "I think we persevered for too long with the notion of separate development. I think the only way the indigenous people of Australia can get what we call a fair go is for them to become part of the mainstream of the community and get the benefits and opportunities available from mainstream Australian society, whilst recognizing … the particular and special place of the indigenous culture in the life of the country."

Ironically the bolded text reflected the very assimilation policies of the White Australia Policy*.

* There was no such policy, moreso a series of Commonwealth Acts.

Assimilation policies presumed that Indigenous Australians could enjoy the same standard of living as white Australians if they adopted European customs and beliefs and were absorbed into white society:

“The policy of assimilation means in the view of all Australian governments that all Aborigines and part-Aborigines are expected eventually to attain the same manner of living as other Australians and to live as members of a single Australian community enjoying the same rights and privileges, accepting the same responsibilities, observing the same customs and influenced by the same beliefs, hopes and loyalties as other Australians.”

white_australia.jpg

Many white Australians remain astonished why our indigenous folk are still pissed off. Like some deluded kidnapper expecting that due to the effluxion of time, Stockholm Syndrome should have extinguished any animosity they have for us.

</rant>

Way to stick to the topic of my post, Pou.

Howard wasn't far wrong, BTW.

Angry_eel

First Grade

Because it's still happening. Not Slavery, but discrimination.

Latest posts