What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

strider

Post Whore
Only if he went to cabinet and boxed it out with the pro fossil fuel faction. It would have been leaked and been a disaster with his grass roots supporters as it would have been seen a win for the greens. Most importantly he was trying to not give the Teals ammunition.

So he used his special powers for good then?

Gronk

Staff member
So he used his special powers for good then?
Depends on who you are talking to. Also, you have to take into consideration what those secret special powers do to his party and the concept of democracy.

"I trust my wife but I am going to tap her phone, read her emails and have her followed. I will also have guardianship powers over her legal rights without her knowing" kinda erodes trust in a marriage and immediatley disolves the partnership.

^^^ Autocracy vs transparency in a democracy.

Autocracy is a system of government in which absolute power over a state is concentrated in the hands of one person, whose decisions are subject neither to external legal restraints nor to regularized mechanisms of popular control..

strider

Post Whore
Depends on who you are talking to. Also, you have to take into consideration what those secret special powers do to his party and the concept of democracy.

"I trust my wife but I am going to tap her phone, read her emails and have her followed. I will also have guardianship powers over her legal rights without her knowing" kinda erodes trust in a marriage and immediatley disolves the partnership.

^^^ Autocracy vs transparency in a democracy.

Autocracy is a system of government in which absolute power over a state is concentrated in the hands of one person, whose decisions are subject neither to external legal restraints nor to regularized mechanisms of popular control..

Yeah im not trying to defend him .... the secrecy is very odd and has to make you wonder wtf and is there more to it .... fine kick his arse out and move on to something that matters. Put a stop to secret appointments.

But i just find it funny, that literally the only thing we know he used his special secret moves for, is something the people most outraged would think is a good thing ... lol

Gronk

Staff member
But i just find it funny, that literally the only thing we know he used his special secret moves for, is something the people most outraged would think is a good thing ... lol
It would have been stopped by the incoming government anyway, so that part of the equation is moot.

The most outraged are the hard right who are aghast at a liberal government blocked a fossil fuel exploration project, after the Resources Minster was successfully lobbied by Asset Energy and was about to ink the deal.

strider

Post Whore
It would have been stopped by the incoming government anyway, so that part of the equation is moot.

The most outraged are the hard right who are aghast at a liberal government blocked a fossil fuel exploration project, after the Resources Minster was successfully lobbied by Asset Energy and was about to ink the deal.

No, i obviously meant most outraged by the secret appointments thing ... not the thing he did afterwards

Its truly funny

Surely there is more to the secret appointments?

Gronk

Staff member
No, i obviously meant most outraged by the secret appointments thing ... not the thing he did afterwards

Its truly funny

Yeah you're either not getting the gravity of it or you are downplaying it for reasons.

Everyone else in Australia except for the most looney of looneys are freaked out about the precedent.

the phantom menace

First Grade
PMs never talk to ministers? Its all one persons decision?
Pretty much - there was 24 different Ministers (with even more portfolios) and just not enough time for a PM to be involved in every decision that a Minister makes.

That's why there is a Cabinet system, with delegated authority - which is what Morrison secretly sought to undo, without apparent even speaking to his ministers about what and why.... which is why Scomo's own colleagues and his friendly Sky media people are also up in arms about what he did.
Im well aware he did weird shit by putting himself in those positions ..... but did he actually make anything happen that he otherwise would have no say in?
Well he reversed/stopped the decision his (fellow) Resources Minister made re gas drilling - so who know what was really up with that action. If there was a good reason to intervene, I don't know why he wasn't up front and public about it, and could've earned some brownie points?

As it is, it's all just another Scomo secret, like not being open and telling anyone he went on an overseas holiday - makes him a very untrustworthy and shifty character, thankfully no longer in control of anything.

strider

Post Whore
Dont get me wrong. String him up by his nut sack .... it does seem weird as f**k.

But it IS hilarious that the only thing he has been shown to have done is exactly what the people having kittens would have wanted done.

Surely there has to be other things. Maybe Klaus told him to do it?

Gronk

Staff member
Dont get me wrong. String him up by his nut sack .... it does seem weird as f**k.

But it IS hilarious that the only thing he has been shown to have done is exactly what the people having kittens would have wanted done.

Surely there has to be other things. Maybe Klaus told him to do it?
You’re trying very hard to find some irony and direct it towards the lefties.

The decision to cancel the exploration licence was a renewal of an existing licence. The NSW Government opposed it as did everyone except for the fossil fuel lobby. Asset energy and it’s partners have been poking around in the PEP 11 lease for the past decade. Times have changed. They’ve had a fair go.

1660822629999.jpeg

BTW the secret decision has now exposed the government to litigation as the ASX was informed this week of Asset Energy’s intention to sue because they were denied procedural fairness.

strider

Post Whore
Im not making light of it. The secrecy is obviously dodgy as f**k. His lame explanation is horseshit, and in no way explains why the secret. He needs to f**k off. And some merkin should keep looking to see what else he did. There is clearly some deeper motive. Was it just him or was he pursuing some other cause. Maybe god made him do it?

They should be throwing similar shit at the govenor general. His job is to be the backstop if the keeper f**ks up. He must be dumb as shit if he cant tell this smells, even if it wasnt obvious at the time. He failed and also needs to f**k off. Of course there isnt the same political point scoring to be had with him, so he isnt copping it anywhere near as much as he should be.

But is is ironic as f**k that the only thing they can figure out he has done is something they would have wanted done. I looked ironic up in the funk and wagnals encyclopedia and there is a picture of this.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Its truly funny

I think the answer there is the guy has such a high opinion of himself that once he saw it could be done, he just went ahead and did it for the sake of holding those ministerial powers, powers he doesn't have nor can't actually exercise as PM. Any legislation that defers to ministerial discretion in terms of decisions is for the minister alone to make, the PM has no say beyond the influence he can exert upon the minister. In that way the Westminster system distributes power across individuals within the government, rather than investing it in a single individual as you might have in a third world tinpot autocracy.

So it's just kinda indicative of who the f**k Scotty is, but as for the secrecy angle, well he's used that to effect for his entire political career to avoid having to answer questions or accept responsibility, see "on water matters" for relevance.

This time though I'd suspect the secrecy was more to avoid the scrutiny of his cabinet than anything else. I don't believe he'd have gotten a great deal of support from the cabinet that he was taking on the roles of other cabinet members, no one likes people f**king with their patch. I'd also reckon that despite the evidence to the contrary, there'd be a fair few members of the coalition who still hold beliefs that there is value in the conventions of our democracy, it's kinda a traditional conservative position after all.

TLDR

Scotty's a psychopath and his mates woulda been a bit shitty about it when he f**ked with their patch.

strider

Post Whore
But if he played his super secret moves more often, then his gameplan would have been exposed right? ... no one would be able to pretend they didnt know if shit kept happening in their portfolios without them knowing

You think he just did it to sit at home in his lounge room grinning at his precious portfolios like golum? ... maybe.

Gronk

Staff member
There are so many layers to this. He didn't do it to Dutton when he was in the portfolio, but as soon as he was moved on from Home Affairs he did it to Karen Andrews.

What needs to be pointed out is there were two News Ltd journos who had this information and kept it mum during the election. The reaction of his colleagues now is that they would have rolled him had they known.

From a human POV, he did it to his Canberra housemate Frydenberg and didn't tell him. 😮

Gronk

Staff member
But is is ironic as f**k that the only thing they can figure out he has done is something they would have wanted done. I looked ironic up in the funk and wagnals encyclopedia and there is a picture of this.
The true irony is not the leftist lol, its that a climate change denialist PM canned a fossil fuel project in secret because he knew that he could not argue the case successfully in cabinet.

You can spin it towards the left if you like, but it looks to me that you're on your Pat Malone. Even Andrew Bolt isn't saying it.

Ok Prue McSween is.

1660861906216.png

strider

Post Whore
Yes agree its ironic he used his secret powers for something his government generally isnt onboard with. Thats maybe more than just ironic hey!???

But its also ironic (and funny) that those whinging loudest would love that result .... dont know why this is so hard to accept.

hindy111

Post Whore
The true irony is not the leftist lol, its that a climate change denialist PM canned a fossil fuel project in secret because he knew that he could not argue the case successfully in cabinet.

You can spin it towards the left if you like, but it looks to me that you're on your Pat Malone. Even Andrew Bolt isn't saying it.

Ok Prue McSween is.

View attachment 65112

Nice tits for an oldie