What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

ImTheMan

Juniors

Educate yourself. The liberals are literally leading with "cut immigration, cut cost of living" advertising so, way overdue but their polling is onto it.

"The record migration that has driven a sharp rise in rents may have peaked" - Hint, it didn't.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's great. It reached the tipping point, Albo accelerated it and did nothing to prevent. Type in a big regional area around our capital cities, oldlistings.com.au. Choose a working class suburb and then a house address up for rent currently on realestate.com.au, look at the prices per week from 2008-2020 increase slowly, then look at the literal doubling in price from there on. This is the data liberal party should source and show over and over and over. Several years compared to a couple of decides alright, nothing " over time" about it. Don't look at random obtuse example either. House prices not as dramatic but they may as well be with interest rates.

Mate, the current Labor federal government came to office in May 2022.

House prices dropped in early 2020, then from mid 2020 through to mid 2022 is where the excessive growth was, that's nationwide, and near all markets

1719984148332.png

So as we can see, that price growth was under the previous LNP government, you've literally no f**king idea or have the memory of goldfish, take your pick

The 4th paragraph is the funniest.

"The housing shortage isn't a shortage of housing, it's a shortage of affordable housing."

I can't. I don't have to reply to this I could just end it here and let someone else make up their mind but it's low hanging fruit so I guess I will do the work for you.

See I understand that you're a simple man of limited intelligence, and as such might struggle with cause and effect, but let's have a go and see if anyone's home.

Ok, so as you posted and as per your link there is indeed a shortage of rental properties, and the rental market is as tight as it's ever been, if not tighter. Of course a dullard such as your good self might just rest his laurels on that fact and think(sic) that's all there is to it, that's the cause, however is that the cause of the housing crises, or is it an effect?

Now in a previous post where you stated that younger generations coming through will never likely own, and indeed it is a fact: Home ownership rates are falling, and have been for years.

So if less people own a property, and we accept that people need to live somewhere, what do they do? Clearly they rent - increasing demand. Then of course on the supply side, if less people can afford to buy a property, then those same people are not going to build a house either, so we have increased demand on the rental market and less supply of new stock coming into the market. All because merkins can't afford to buy.

This is why it's an Affordability crisis, because the cause is housing is too f**king dear. And as we can see from the source above, what has really triggered the issue is the increases under the previous government.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Educate yourself. The liberals are literally leading with "cut immigration, cut cost of living" advertising so, way overdue but their polling is onto it.

"Educate yourself via LNP advertising".

f**k me that's awesome

But look, we know dog whistling over foreigners works, it's why the right keep doing it. I mean check the example at hand.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Absolute word shit of which there is only one response to:
*Sips whiskey*
Cheers

Not a fan of Scomo's reaction to a lot of things, but you are clearly some rusted on red with an agenda. No one is talking about race so stop being racist. Legit. Covid is literal proof that slashing immigration lowered rents, real estates were offering huge reductions at even lower normal prices before Covid. It's not like people here had an alternative to renting so it freed up stock. Supply and demand. Get your hand off it child, back to the basement. Albo has made things worse and is all out of ideas. Labor is not the boomer party I would have voted for decades ago.

Bandwagon

Staff member
"The record migration that has driven a sharp rise in rents may have peaked" - Hint, it didn't.

Again a dog whistle repeated is still a dog whistle

1719986927324.png

As can be seen from above, growth in rents accelerated from mid 2020 on, when there was negative net immigration - and peaked in December 2022 then began to ease from there

If immigration is the cause of the rapid increase in rents, how can it be that the rate of increase in rents grew so much when net immigration was negative ( through to Sept 21 )

What the f**k is going on there mate?
1719987882374.png

ImTheMan

Juniors
Again a dog whistle repeated is still a dog whistle

View attachment 90544

As can be seen from above, growth in rents accelerated from mid 2020 on, when there was negative net immigration - and peaked in December 2022 then began to ease from there

If immigration is the cause of the rapid increase in rents, how can it be that the rate of increase in rents grew so much when net immigration was negative ( through to Sept 21 )

What the f**k is going on there mate?
View attachment 90545
Genuinely are you trolling or just living under a rock?
Immigrants mainly go to Sydney and Melbourne.
No immigration meant more stock in Sydney and Melbourne, lower rents.
More domestic people moving out of capital cities during Covid increased demand for rentals just like immigration usually does.
Prices then went up in regional areas and were reduced in big cities where immigrants mostly go to.
Then the tap was supercharged for immigration and they went up everywhere.
Why do you need this supply and demand explained???

No one is saying no immigrants of a particular persuasion, just much much less for immigrants here too. Stop looking at race all the time it's racist.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Not a fan of Scomo's reaction to a lot of things, but you are clearly some rusted on red with an agenda. No one is talking about race so stop being racist

I've not mentioned race.

Covid is literal proof that slashing immigration lowered rents,

Well no, not even close. growth slowed initially in cities then as per above the opposite happened. You're out of your depth, you can't just lie your way through here mate.

Albo has made things worse and is all out of ideas. Labor is not the boomer party I would have voted for decades ago.

Well all the indicators are now saying otherwise, again facts are not your friend.

Bandwagon

Staff member
More domestic people moving out of capital cities during Covid increased demand for rentals just like immigration usually does.
Prices then went up in regional areas and were reduced in big cities where immigrants mostly go to.

Mate, the data is right there, I can't help you read it, I'm sorry.

Yes people moved out of the city to the regions during 2020 and early 2021, this put pressure on rentals and growth in regional areas, and reduced that pressure in cities, rents were flat in cities during that time, but overall rents were growing at an accelerating rate through 2021, and it wasn't until the December quarter of 2021 that immigration picked up.

The assertion that immigration is the cause of rising rents demands that Immigration leads rental increases as an indicator, but that is very clearly not the case here. It's the other way around. Which tells you that there has to be another cause.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Yes people moved out of the city to the regions during 2020 and early 2021, this put pressure on rentals and growth in regional areas, and reduced that pressure in cities,

Oh honey, that's so factually obtuse. Show me the amount of immigrants that were due to arrive that period vs the number of people that moved out of Sydney and Melbourne. I don't need to go and source it to embarrass you, but it's going to be a shitload more arrivals (not of a race, stop being racist I know many white people that have) from overseas. Many people could not legally even drop everything and leave the place if they wanted to. On an intuitive level you know this is true but you don't want to let your dear leader down.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Oh honey, that's so factually obtuse. Show me the amount of immigrants that were due to arrive that period vs the number of people that moved out of Sydney and Melbourne. I don't need to go and source it to embarrass you, but it's going to be a shitload more arrivals (not of a race, stop being racist I know many white people that have) from overseas. Many people could not legally even drop everything and leave the place if they wanted to. On an intuitive level you know this is true but you don't want to let your dear leader down.

Those that were "due" to arrive is f**king meaningless, they arrived or they didn't, simple. I've shown you the immigration numbers mate. They are sourced in a post above.

It is a fact that the acceleration of the growth in rents began well before immigration restarted. In fact it began when net immigration was negative.

It is also a fact, and again linked above that the excessive house price growth you pathetically attempted to attribute to the current government, happened under the previous government.

Would you care to directly address either of these two points?

ImTheMan

Juniors
Those that were "due" to arrive is f**king meaningless, they arrived or they didn't, simple. I've shown you the immigration numbers mate. They are sourced in a post above.
It isn't meaningless dumbass, that is the lessened supply in Sydney and Melbourne dropping the rents. Read my post explaining what happened during Covid PROPERLY. I'm not repeating myself.

"It is a fact that the acceleration of the growth in rents began well before immigration restarted. In fact it began when net immigration was negative."

Again dumbass, rent growth outside Sydney and Melbourne went up before immigration in regional areas because they did see an influx of DOMESTIC migration but not at the same level Sydney and Melbourne rent prices would have relied on PROJECTED immigration for that year. Rents in Sydney and Melbourne were slashed during that period due to this, so your all of Australia graph is as trash as your posts. Cherry picked shit.

Are you brain damaged? I will quote myself again so you can slowly take in something that doesn't need an explanation unless you are in a sheltered workshop. The electorate definitely understand what happened why can't you?

Last edited:

ImTheMan

Juniors

I'll tl Dr for you dumb dumb:

Rents crept up in regional areas yes before immigration re opened but they domestic people not immigrant moving hrhrhr. However Sydney and Melb rents fell sharply before immigration returned, and this was because immigrants go to these places and there was a lot more stock *grunt* now immigrant go everywhere in Australia because there is no stock for anyone!! *dribbles*

Do you understand that better in your language?

Last edited:

ImTheMan

Juniors
If you aren't going to honestly engage I'm done, we will let a competent politician do the talking when your 'citizen last' friends are voted out around the world and can demonstrate how a housing shortage which you have admitted is affected by immigration when 2 new houses are needed for each immigrant and Australia currently cannot build them. Until then we need much lower migration.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Now let's get my thread back on track:

"A report from the Washington Post suggests that former President Barack Obama has privately expressed concern about President Joe Biden’s chances for reelection."

Even the puppeteer is getting off the train wreck! Michelle incoming?

*Sips whiskey*

Cheers!

Latest posts