What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

ImTheMan

Juniors
your thread ? lol

all you do is play the man and not the ball, criticize and deflect when you've got nothing, which is most of the time

you're just not worth the effort
If you want an echo chamber and to delude yourself, go to Twitter don't use a public forum m8. I prefer to be exposed to (credible) ideas, though they are few and far between here so much so that "the other site" is starting to look like a philosophers delight.

ImTheMan

Juniors

Nice to hear a politician talking some sense and bringing me back to reality with logic and reason! Like food to the soul

Dutton on why "Labor has created this housing crisis", espouses the right things now let's see some good policy. Call the election it's already too late. Some of the boomers posting on LU far removed from reality and think their slacktivism that no one but them reads is working.

*Sips whiskey*
Cheers

Last edited:

ImTheMan

Juniors
Nope. If you actually pay attention instead of admiring your own words, I am way more anti-grifter than I am pro Biden.
Anti-Grifter: You passionately defended "Heels Up" Kamala Harris a couple of pages back, need I say more? ;)

Mmmm smell the "grift"

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Anti-Grifter: You passionately defended "Heels Up" Kamala Harris a couple of pages back, need I say more? ;)

Mmmm smell the "grift"
Whataboutism, and in the scheme of things, nothing burger.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Nice to hear a politician talking some sense and bringing me back to reality with logic and reason! Like food to the soul

Dutton on why "Labor has created this housing crisis", espouses the right things now let's see some good policy. Call the election it's already too late. Some of the boomers posting on LU far removed from reality and think their slacktivism that no one but them reads is working.

*Sips whiskey*
Cheers

What a load of f**king Dribble. With Spud as your source mate I'm sure you'll be edumacated in no time.

I like how he starts out by stating the problems he's gonna talk about, and then states they weren't there five years ago as a base, Labors been in government for two years.........

Then blames the current government immigration policy for young people not being able to buy a house.

When we know that the great majority of the increase in house prices happened from late 2020 through to mid 2022, when we had a LNP government

He's doing his best to gloss over the fact that his government oversaw the bubble by inference.

What kind of fool would you have to be to buy into this shit?

ImTheMan

Juniors
Both parties have done a shit job of handling the situation. Let's hope Dutton is not all talk and spin like Albos promises and actually cuts deep into the migration numbers instead of tinkering with the edges. Maybe Dutton Albo can ask Japan how they kept housing so affordable and ways to encourage mass housing builds BEFORE having hyper immigration at historical levels again and at a reasonable level once this is achieved. No one is saying ban everyone for life.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Both parties have done a shit job of handling the situation. Let's hope Dutton is not all talk and spin like Albos promises and actually cuts deep into the migration numbers instead of tinkering with the edges. Maybe Dutton Albo can ask Japan how they kept housing so affordable and ways to encourage mass housing builds BEFORE having hyper immigration at historical levels again and at a reasonable level once this is achieved. No one is saying ban everyone for life.

Immigration is not the problem, sure increased immigration numbers has to put short term pressure on housing, but yet again, rents and house prices started rising ( again ) , and rose greatly prior to immigration being resumed, this is irrefutable, and as such tells us there are other issues at play.

Not to mention that housing affordability has been a huge issue since well prior to covid. You'd have to have been living in a cave in Tibet for the past three decades or so not to understand that.

You are literally just repeating the dog whistle of your masters, and this is evidenced by the fact you labelled the above video of the Spud as "a politician talking some sense and bringing me back to reality with logic and reason" yet failed to rebuke my assessment and ran for the default "they all do it" when your side is shown to be full of shit.

f**king lolz @ ImTheSpam.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Do you think the term "dog whistle" is intelligent? When you are the only one mentioning race, you little racist you. No one is targeting anyone or wants it banned forever. Go back to 2015 when that shit used to fly.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Do you think the term "dog whistle" is intelligent? When you are the only one mentioning race, you little racist you. No one is targeting anyone or wants it banned forever. Go back to 2015 when that shit used to fly.

Wrong again ImTheSpam, dog whistling doesn't have to be about race. But in this case it will fire up the racist elements for sure. The right just love them some of that good old fashioned nationalism.

Yet again though I note your failure to address the point and spear off on another tangent. f**k me that's just so beta mate.

ImTheMan

Juniors
Immigration is not the problem, sure increased immigration numbers has to put short term pressure on housing, but yet again, rents and house prices started rising ( again ) , and rose greatly prior to immigration being resumed, this is irrefutable, and as such tells us there are other issues at play.
*Yawn* I'm only going to respond to this topic and you one more time because you are an ideologue obsessed with race.

During little to no immigration in covid rents fell dramatically in Syd and Melbourne

Got it?

That's where most immigration went.

Domestic Australians (not immigrants) caused the surge in rents in regional areas yes prior to immigration being restarted but this was due to domestic migration. Do you understand the difference? Or as the article above says "Australian migration".

Talk only about Sydney and Melbourne in your response where IMMIGRANTS overwhelming went before this period and the prices dropping and vacancy rates rising. Overall Australia is irrelevent prior to overseas migration restarting when they weren't hyperpumped in.

Look at the vacancy rates (Up to 10% Melb) then compared to now well under one percent some places which is not healthy. You literally said a few pages back that there was not an availability problem of housing only affordability, which you admitted to being wrong. That ended your credibility.

Run for office instead of sitting on LU if you have better ideas then " Spud", but make sure to always have the camera above your waist in press conferences. If you want further info on why it works watch Dutton's press conferences when he prime minister and you are furiously masturbating to the idea of you being his next political opponent as you wipe the cheetos from your fingers.

Gronk

Staff member
Rents in Australia went down during COVID-19 due to several interconnected factors:

1. Decrease in Demand: Many people lost their jobs or faced financial insecurity during the lockdowns, leading to a decreased demand for rental properties. Additionally, international students and temporary workers, who often rent properties, were unable to enter the country, further reducing demand.
  2. Remote Work: The shift to remote work allowed people to move away from expensive urban areas to more affordable suburban or regional areas. This migration led to a surplus of rental properties in cities and a corresponding decrease in rents.
  3. Short-term Rentals Converting to Long-term: Many properties previously used for short-term rentals (such as Airbnb) were converted to long-term rentals due to the collapse in tourism. This increased the supply of rental properties, driving rents down.
  4. Government Support: Government measures, such as rental relief packages and eviction moratoriums, provided some tenants with the ability to negotiate lower rents or defer rent payments, indirectly putting downward pressure on rental prices.
  5. Market Adjustments: Landlords, recognizing the economic strain on tenants and the increased supply of available properties, were often more willing to lower rents to ensure occupancy and maintain some rental income rather than face vacancies.

Bandwagon

Staff member
*Yawn* I'm only going to respond to this topic and you one more time because you are an ideologue obsessed with race.

Nah, you'll keep tryin' cause you're a sucker for punishment.

And again, you are the one that keeps mentioning race, I'm yet to use the term in this argument at all.

During little to no immigration in covid rents fell dramatically in Syd and Melbourne

Yes they did for a time, this is called correlation, not causation.

But then they began to rise, and rise they did before immigration was re-started. Here ends correlation, so if you are to rely on correlation to establish causation, this is rather inconvenient for you

Domestic Australians (not immigrants) caused the surge in rents in regional areas

Yes this is partially true, for the most part. What is true is that international migration had little to no effect, so for arguments sake that's all fine.

Or as the article above says "Australian migration".

Your article says a bit more than that, but mostly it's a "top ten" thingy, so pretty useless as reference. Was it the best source you can find? I mean Hunters Hill, Clovelly, Northbridge, North Bondi Having the greatest drop due to lack of immigrants?

Lolz mate, that's a goodun'

Talk only about Sydney and Melbourne in your response

How's about you provide some data on this then and we can discuss it. Or don't you do data?

You literally said a few pages back that there was not an availability problem of housing only affordability,

No I didn't, I explained it. I can't help it that you fail to grasp simple concepts.

which you admitted to being wrong. That ended your credibility.

So I admitted to being wrong about the thing I didn't say? That seems a little silly mate. Are you quite sure?

Run for office instead of sitting on LU if you have better ideas then " Spud",

Oh, ok. I can't criticize the precious unless I "run for office". Sounds Legit.

Does that apply to your criticism of Albo too? I mean if it doesn't that'd seem a little double standardy yeah?

If you want further info on why it works watch Dutton's press conferences when he prime minister and you are furiously masturbating

I'm fairly certain of the two us you'd be the one more likely to want to eight roper the spuds chin, mind you, I reckon that'd for sure be a reciprocal arrangement.

UK election results rolling in today...

So far Labour 3, everyone else 0. The Tories (LNP's buddies) in for an almighty hiding and loss of government over there.

647 to go, 326 needed for the majority. Nice hexagonal map will be getting colourful between midday and 1pm here:

chiefy1

Bench

Not to mention that housing affordability has been a huge issue since well prior to covid. You'd have to have been living in a cave in Tibet for the past three decades or so not to understand that.

You are literally just repeating the dog whistle of your masters, and this is evidenced by the fact you labelled the above video of the Spud as "a politician talking some sense and bringing me back to reality with logic and reason" yet failed to rebuke my assessment and ran for the default "they all do it" when your side is shown to be full of shit.

f**king lolz @ ImTheSpam.
Watch this, and everyone will understand why successive greedy corrupt governments, will never make housing affordability possible in Australia. If you think governments cannot reverse housing and rent affordability at a flick of a switch think again. Its in their best interests to squeeze every young Australian out of the housing market. Australian governments are a massive scam and the media are in on it also.

Last edited:

Latest posts