What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Stop a minute here mate and think. This comes from the following claim in an article by her father.

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town)

Now I think it fair enough to take him at his word,so all good there. But, here's also where you have to engage your brain and think about how this might come to be........

As explained by the Atlantic (here), “the overwhelming majority of African Americans have white male ancestors, largely because of white male slave owners who raped Black female slaves.”
This dark historical fact undermines the point this claim tries to make - that having a white slave-owner in her ancestry makes Harris or any African American less Black.

So no it's "not very nice" is it, I mean slavery and the trappings that go along with it were never very nice.

Yeah, well again that's based on no evidence, it's just you accepting a GOP talking point that Harris isn't a "real black person". But as per above that makes for a lot of African Americans that aren't "real black people" by your reckoning. Or maybe you're just plain wrong?

What does a "typical black African American" look like mate? What makes them typical and not Harris, what separates their shared histories? What is it that makes for her to be "portrayed as African American" but not actually be African American?
Pretty much the same merkinry during the Voice referendum. Arseholes were minimising people's opinions because they "were not black enough".

And it is certainly not unique to Australia.

LINK

It attempts invalidate an individual's identity based on stereotypical notions of race and undermines the diverse nature of racial and cultural identities. It perpetuates harmful stereotypes and can marginalize individuals within their own communities.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Pretty much the same merkinry during the Voice referendum. Arseholes were minimising people's opinions because they "were not black enough".

And it is certainly not unique to Australia.

LINK

It attempts invalidate an individual's identity based on stereotypical notions of race and undermines the diverse nature of racial and cultural identities. It perpetuates harmful stereotypes and can marginalize individuals within their own communities.

It's just the whole "Obama birther" play again by the GOP.

It's just f**king dumb is what it is. Surely if Harris is so f**king terrible they could attack her on her record, it's not like she hasn't been in politics for f**king decades.

strider

Post Whore
Stop a minute here mate and think. This comes from the following claim in an article by her father.

My roots go back, within my lifetime, to my paternal grandmother Miss Chrishy (née Christiana Brown, descendant of Hamilton Brown who is on record as plantation and slave owner and founder of Brown’s Town)

Now I think it fair enough to take him at his word,so all good there. But, here's also where you have to engage your brain and think about how this might come to be........

As explained by the Atlantic (here), “the overwhelming majority of African Americans have white male ancestors, largely because of white male slave owners who raped Black female slaves.”
This dark historical fact undermines the point this claim tries to make - that having a white slave-owner in her ancestry makes Harris or any African American less Black.

So no it's "not very nice" is it, I mean slavery and the trappings that go along with it were never very nice.

Yeah, well again that's based on no evidence, it's just you accepting a GOP talking point that Harris isn't a "real black person". But as per above that makes for a lot of African Americans that aren't "real black people" by your reckoning. Or maybe you're just plain wrong?

What does a "typical black African American" look like mate? What makes them typical and not Harris, what separates their shared histories? What is it that makes for her to be "portrayed as African American" but not actually be African American?
I have no intention of playing the stupid back n forth bullshit you've done in recent times with ImTheMan.
Ive said what ive said. We can disagree. And yeah maybe im flat out wrong.

Bandwagon

Staff member
I have no intention of playing the stupid back n forth bullshit you've done in recent times with ImTheMan.

Easy fixed that one.

Ive said what ive said. We can disagree.

Of course. If you don't want to discuss your opinions on a discussion forum that's entirely up to you.

And yeah maybe im flat out wrong.

Yeah, maybe look at the evidence. No need to accept mine.