What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Dead hard rockers week

coolumsharkie

Referee
David "Thirsty" Morrow, has died aged 71, bloody brain cancer, . One of my all time favourite broadcasters. Loved his discussions with Warren Ryan. He never had any agendas.
I was shocked hearing this news. Always loved his call of the game, he will be missed.

DJDL

Bench
RIP Ray Reardon, he was 91.
Not sure how many you remember him.
I grew up watching Pot Black with my late dad.
He was a great player, would have his hair slicked back like Dracula

I loved watching Pot Black when I was a kid.
When I moved to the UK I got right back into the snooker again.
We had a full-sized table in the games room in my house.
Even had Jimmy White come down and put on an exhibition one night.

My landlord was a bit of a geezer.
He'd organize these nights once a year (he was great mates with Jimmy).
He'd setup arena seating in the games room and sell tickets at 30 quid a pop.
We'd get maybe 50 people in.
He also had 4 "fruit machines" - the pommie equivalent of pokies - which he'd setup strategically around the house to empty the pockets of the poor, unsuspecting punters.

Off the back off the games room we had a couple of doors which led to the backyard. He'd setup marquees through each of them. The first one would be setup as a bar, which I and another house mate were charged with running (another of his mates owned an off-license so he got his alcohol at cost + 10%).

But the piece de resistance was through the second door and into the other marquee - four separate private rooms, each with a girl from the local Spearmint Rhino giving lap dances.
He had another one of his mates, the security head at one of the local nightclubs, at the door.
Pay your money to him, then in you go.

He absolutely cleaned up on those nights.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
Sounds like good times mate. Remember Ray Reardon very well. Is Eddie Charlton still kicking? Played doubles against him at Cronulla rissole many years ago. Got torn a new one of course.

DJDL

Bench
Yeah good times back then.
I've got many fond memories and lifetime of yarns out of it.

Eddie Charlton eh?
Did you get a shot?

And no, he's been gone for ~20 years now.

Quigs

Immortal
Yes I was an old Pot Black Fan.

Actually played interclub snooker as a member of the Tradies, it was back in the day when the club was nothing but an old house with an auditorium attached. The snooker room was down a few stairs on the eastern side of the building. The room had a small bar and two tables.

Moi and a few of the mates were half handy at snooker and the interclub nights we'd go representing the Tradies against other shire clubs. Four players would play away and four would remain on home soil. We got flogged nearly every time but there was a lot of free piss and some great feeds to be consumed.

Even went out to the Bundy RSL. It was a good comp but we were perpetual wooden spooners.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Yeah good times back then.
I've got many fond memories and lifetime of yarns out of it.

Eddie Charlton eh?
Did you get a shot?

And no, he's been gone for ~20 years now.
Terrible when Eddie went - local staple for a long time. Lived in the Cecil and spent plenty of time playing the tables in Cronulla RSL prior to gamblor well and truely changing the club’s dynamic.
One of the finest efforts outside of his stellar career was this effort with the late show. All hail EC and Molloy

DJDL

Bench
Terrible when Eddie went - local staple for a long time. Lived in the Cecil and spent plenty of time playing the tables in Cronulla RSL prior to gamblor well and truely changing the club’s dynamic.
One of the finest efforts outside of his stellar career was this effort with the late show. All hail EC and Molloy

Haha, this is actually the first thing I thought of when I read his name.