What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Paris 2024 - 26/7 to 11/8

eels_fan

First Grade
That tennis match was fantastic nail biting stuff

no idea about the windsurfing thing and switching sides and shit, but well done Morris on the silver.

our little island nation only coming second to a country with 1 billion more people than us to choose from!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just on this whole transgender athlete thing ...

My son has Klinefelter syndrome - also known as XXY Syndrome.

For those unaware, it means he is born with an extra X chromosome.

This means his body will naturally produce less testosterone through puberty, and his body's fat distribution will be more feminine (ie: more in the hips, and chest, and he will have narrower shoulders).

There is also a high chance that he may be naturally sterile.

When he's older, we will talk to him to see if he wants to have testosterone therapy (totally his choice, if he doesn't want it, it won't change the person he is).

Perhaps the Algerian fighter has Turned Syndrome?

I do think that the idea needs to be examined, though - we don't want to be in a position whereby the Algerian fighter is punished for having a genetic advantage, but we also don't want to be in a position where someone gets seriously hurt due to the genetic advantage.

It's a complex issue.

Gronk

Staff member

This means his body will naturally produce less testosterone through puberty, and his body's fat distribution will be more feminine (ie: more in the hips, and chest, and he will have narrower shoulders).

When he's older, we will talk to him to see if he wants to have testosterone therapy (totally his choice, if he doesn't want it, it won't change the person he is).

I do think that the idea needs to be examined, though - we don't want to be in a position whereby the Algerian fighter is punished for having a genetic advantage, but we also don't want to be in a position where someone gets seriously hurt due to the genetic advantage.

It's a complex issue.
Well said mate. I said the same about Turner Syndrome a few days ago.

Genetic advantage has always been an issue. Most of us have found peace with those with a “fast twitch” that tends to advantage certain races.

1722744156012.jpeg

However those with a genetic advantage? Not so much.

IMG_1899.jpeg

Eero Mäntyranta - Finnish cross-country skier had a genetic mutation that increased his red blood cell count by 50%, enhancing his oxygen-carrying capacity and endurance.

Paula Radcliffe - long-distance runner holds the women’s world marathon record and is known to have a high VO2 max, which allows her to process oxygen more efficiently.

Brady Ellison - this dude is an archery freak because he has 20/10 vision, so above-average eyesight. This means that Ellison can clearly see 20 feet away what most people can only see from 10 feet away. His super vision has benefited him throughout his career. Ellison is a three-time Olympian and is currently ranked as the world’s No. 1 men’s recurve archer.

You can even go back to 1932 Olympics, where Mildred “Babe” Didrikson Zaharias - who excelled in multiple sports, might have had a form of intersex condition due to her exceptional athletic abilities, though no definitive diagnosis or confirmation has been made.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well said mate. I said the same about Turner Syndrome a few days ago.

Genetic advantage has always been an issue. Most of us have found peace with those with a “fast twitch” that tends to advantage certain races.

View attachment 92014

However those with a genetic advantage? Not so much.

View attachment 92015

Eero Mäntyranta - Finnish cross-country skier had a genetic mutation that increased his red blood cell count by 50%, enhancing his oxygen-carrying capacity and endurance.

Paula Radcliffe - long-distance runner holds the women’s world marathon record and is known to have a high VO2 max, which allows her to process oxygen more efficiently.

Brady Ellison - this dude is an archery freak because he has 20/10 vision, so above-average eyesight. This means that Ellison can clearly see 20 feet away what most people can only see from 10 feet away. His super vision has benefited him throughout his career. Ellison is a three-time Olympian and is currently ranked as the world’s No. 1 men’s recurve archer.

You can even go back to 1932 Olympics, where Mildred “Babe” Didrikson Zaharias - who excelled in multiple sports, might have had a form of intersex condition due to her exceptional athletic abilities, though no definitive diagnosis or confirmation has been made.

It's certainly very complicated, and I don't know where the answer lies.

Suitman

Post Whore

It's a complex issue.

Brilliant post.
I just spoke to my brother on the phone, and he didn't even know that this boxer was actually a born female with a vag. Same as some of the dills on here who have ignored that fact and tried to play the trans card.
Ignorance at it's best.

strider

Post Whore
I think comparing an advantage of being able to run faster, jump higher, see better is incredibly different to a physical advantage of being able to physically dominate another and in this case physically beat them .... pretty ridiculous comparison tbh

hindy111

Post Whore
Brilliant post.
I just spoke to my brother on the phone, and he didn't even know that this boxer was actually a born female with a vag. Same as some of the dills on here who have ignored that fact and tried to play the trans card.
Ignorance at it's best.

Well I didn't know. Foxsports and all the media outlets are making out it's a man. It isn't ignorance and we aren't dills . Im sure you where not having a go at all of us. But some of us are busy people ( I just worked 14 days straight) and don't go researching it to much so rely on foxsports and the news right? If anything shame on them not us. We aren't reporting it.
My only question is why was she banned from the boxing federation?