What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Parra Stadium sharing

Suitman

Post Whore
There's no way Penrith fans would attend home games at ANZ. You can suggest free transport or whatever, but that's still an hour trip to get there unless the club can organize an infinite amount of shuttle busses.

In which case it's still an hour's trip to get there.

Suity

mickdo

Coach
Sorry, but ANZ is just crap. You need a pair of binoculars to watch a game. When I go to the footy I can live with a long beer queue or an extra 15 minutes to get there, but what utterly shits me is if I can't see the very thing I went to the ground for without squinting. It's the footy stupid.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Agree MITS. I think it's a great atmosphere when 80% of the stadium is empty.

Was at the SCG with about 90% un-occupancy on day 5 of the pakistan test match few years back when we amazingly won it. Gee it was great atmopshere, prob 6k crowd tops

emjaycee

Coach
Only because they were all free. ;-)

Suity

I knew when I typed it this comment would come up But you forget that it did cost me.

1. I had to listen to you for the whole game
2. The beers were middies of shandie
3. A packet of smokes cost more than 3 beers

:p

Tyler Durden

Juniors
interesting reading the views...if we went back in time about 30 years ago, you can almost pick the people that would be demanding that we keep our traditional home ground of Cumberland Oval and not build the big Parramatta Stadium because it would only be half full and have no atmosphere.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Parramatta Stadium has always been the best suburban ground. They should expand it but also fix the parking and the access.

The solution is simple:

1) Expand Parra Stadium with grandstands. What is it then? 30k+?

2) Take the monorail from Sydney and put it in Parra, linking the train station to the Stadium.

Yes, I am a genius.

born an eel

Bench
Show me a club that makes $100,000 from gate takings, concession and the rest and then your debate will have some gravity. By the way I am not saying take $100,000 I am saying makes that figure a clear profit.
Next, the "Sharing" you are talking about is something I haven't heard of, ANZ Stadium makes over 11 Million a year from its members before it opens the doors. The Merch sales are made by Rebel Sport who have those rights at the venue, but most clubs have merch vans outside the venue as well. Concessions are the stadiums as are tickets, but the hiring club sets the ticket price.

A few years ago I was told by the previous administration that we lost out at Parramatta Stadium any time we didn't get a decent crowd, I think it was 10,000 or more maybe. That issue can be fixed in the next negotiations with the state government over Parramatta Stadium, but I doubt they are going to pay us to play at Parramatta Stadium.

Even the benefits we garner from our deal with Parramatta Stadium (the club sells the advertising hoardings for the stadium) is not as massive boon as ANZ stadium caters for different advertisers at almost every game.
numbers wont add up if more teams start playing out of ANZ, they can not afford to pay too many teams that price for games without increasing membership costs which I assume would not happen.
you do not even have to become a stadium member to get free access. For $140 a year I can get in free to all NRL games.
Parramatta stadium is starting to feel old. It was great when it was the peak of Modern Stadia, but now 25 years on, it is plan to see that the design no longer works. The walkways in front of the patrons in the stands is enough to prove that, then there are the viewing limited seats. The Kitchens can't handle the load of game day, even in their new open configuration.
disagree with this as just as many people get interrupted viewing with people walking down the isles as get interrupted from walking in front, once you get high enough there is no problem.
There would be no problem with the kitchen under the Thornett stand if it was worked properly, they have several people standing around with only on person serving most times.
The thoughts of a new stadium at Blacktown are good and should the FFA had secure the World cup it would have been built, It would have been perfect for games like featuring Wests Tigers, Parramatta and Penrith against each other as long as it was built right and current Season Ticket Holders could get similar seats.
they say we get similar seats at ANZ but I do not think I get anywhere near the same level of seating, there isno way any stand seats at parra can be compared to the anz ones. Terrace seating may be similar though.
Clubs like Penrith, would be have to get a dispensation like a club like Geelong who are a long way out of the City, but still that place could use a complete do over and expansion, and unlike Brookvale they have the land available to do it.

Personally if I had a choice between going to ANZ Stadium and Parramatta Stadium, I would choose ANZ every time.

Lastly to those that say ANZ has no Atmosphere when empty, I call BULLSHIT.

One of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at a Sporting event was at ANZ Stadium when there were only 17,000 fans there for a Cricket game. If empty seats effects your ability to feel what people around you are doing, then I feel sorry for you.
after sitting in the top deck for the 2009 GF, there is no way I will sit there again. I was charged a premium where I would of been better to get the cheap seats in "the bowl". I also don't think the level 4 seating is close enough to the action. Most modern football stadium have the height without the distance of ANZ, as it needs to adapt to different configurations you will never achieve better there.

You may get used to it but in the games I have sat in L4 I feel I am looking down on the action as opposed to being part of it.

Gronk

Staff member
The solution is simple:

1) Expand Parra Stadium with grandstands. What is it then? 30k+?

2) Take the monorail from Sydney and put it in Parra, linking the train station to the Stadium.

Yes, I am a genius

How about you put on 10 free bendy buses every home game and save yourself $10m ?

Tyler Durden

Juniors
There's probably a simple solution:

Sydney Team v Sydney Team
- Play it at the big stadiums
- Play it in the afternoons or family friendly times

Sydney Team v Regional Team
- Play it at suburban stadiums
- Play it at night that are TV best rating times

Should keep most folks happy.

mickdo

Coach

Which sort of happens now with Parra taking our two games against the Dogs & Souths to ANZ. Just need to get the game times sorted.

Parra

Referee
interesting reading the views...if we went back in time about 30 years ago, you can almost pick the people that would be demanding that we keep our traditional home ground of Cumberland Oval and not build the big Parramatta Stadium because it would only be half full and have no atmosphere.

I cannot recall even one person who held that view.

Rebuilding the stadium is completely different to moving the team to Homebush and sharing a ground with the other teams who have become nothing more than franchises.

born an eel

Bench

playing less games in the suburban grounds will do nothing to get the money that is needed to upgrade them.