What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Parra Stadium sharing

eels81236

Bench
Is that you Tony ?

tonyabbott-420x0.jpg

Do you think Julie's hairdresser used a plumb bob? Suity could use the left side of her head as a basis point to set out his next Taj Mahal.

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
Parra Stadium sounds like the sensible base for the western sydney soccer team.

Maybe if the trust (or whatever the new group is called) can get another regular tenant in, then some improvements can be made (eg catering/bar queues, stands at either end)?

And also then maybe they can afford to f**k the markets right off, and put us in the mix for more Sunday games next year?

And also then maybe they can afford to f**k the markets right off, and put us in the mix for more Sunday games next year?

i went to the markets once it was a ghost town im sure they would love a sunday game to bring some actual customers in

Sparky 74

Juniors
In saying that, we all bitch and moan about the quality of the services at Parra stadium, and how Brookvale is a dump, but the options are for the NRL to "do an AFL" and get all Sydney teams playing out of 2 quality stadiums, or to keep our badly aging suburban grounds. Having 9 Sydney teams playing out of 10 "Home Grounds" is a joke and there will never be the money to keep them all up to scratch.

I agree 100% with the 2 stadium sharing by all the Sydney based teams.

Why not double headers at these Stadiums would be fantastic.

ANZ Stadium should be the home base for

Wests Tigers
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs

Alliance Stadium (SFS) should be the home base for

Sydney Roosters
Souths Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sharks

As for Manly hell they should play half at Bluetounge in Gosford & the other half at Alliance

The same should be said for the Dragons half games & Win Wollongong & the other half at Alliance Stadium.

It works for the AFL in Melbourne.

Sports Mad

Juniors
Intersting that they've just invested $8 million in the A-Leagues newest team yesterday.

Sydney teams will be the only teams with non world class stadiums.

Brisbane Broncos - Suncorp Stadium
North Queensland Cowboys: New State of the art stadium planned for Townsville CBD
Canberra Raiders: World Class stadium with retractable roof to be completed by 2020
Melbourne Storm: AAMI Park
Gold Coast Titans: Skilled Park
NZ Warriors: Looking to move to Eden Park as Owen Glen and Eric Watson are keen on this
Newcastle Knights: Hunter Stadium

ParraAds

Juniors
I agree 100% with the 2 stadium sharing by all the Sydney based teams.

Why not double headers at these Stadiums would be fantastic.

ANZ Stadium should be the home base for

Wests Tigers
Parramatta Eels
Penrith Panthers
Canterbury Bulldogs

Alliance Stadium (SFS) should be the home base for

Sydney Roosters
Souths Sydney Rabbitohs
Cronulla Sharks

As for Manly hell they should play half at Bluetounge in Gosford & the other half at Alliance

The same should be said for the Dragons half games & Win Wollongong & the other half at Alliance Stadium.

It works for the AFL in Melbourne.

Exactly, we have two world class venues in the SFS and SA... time to get over the 1980's "tribalism" of venues mentality that dinosaurs can't let go of.

Gronk

Staff member
Exactly, we have two world class venues in the SFS and SA... time to get over the 1980's "tribalism" of venues mentality that dinosaurs can't let go of.

Dinosaurs ?

Last edited by a moderator:

jimmy77au

Juniors
what a crock of s**t. Rugby League is a game built on Tribalism.

A Half Empty Parramatta Stadium looks 1000 times better on TV than ANZ Stadium, where you can sit on your own, let rip, and not have to worry bout someone smelling the fact you just nearly crapped your pants......

Hell - you just have to look at the excitement a Sunday afternoon game @ Leichhardt brings to the game - and it looks spectacular on TV to see the 1000's of people standing on the hill, beer n pie in their hand, staring into the sun as they watch the Tigers play.

This is just a way of Richo Deflecting the hammering he constantly gets from True Rabbitohs fans who constantly hammer him about taking games back to Redfern.

Penrith Fans don't want to have to travel all the way over to ANZ stadium or even worse Allianz Stadium to watch their team play - nor do Eels fans.

It may work in Melbourne for the AFL - but their transport structures etc are 1000 times better than Sydneys - where you just have to have some moron in an Audi (The New volvo w**kers) cause an accident through his sh!thouse driving to create a log jam.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach

It may work in Melbourne for the AFL - but their transport structures etc are 1000 times better than Sydneys - where you just have to have some moron in an Audi (The New volvo w**kers) cause an accident through his sh!thouse driving to create a log jam.

There is also the fact that the Melbourne AFL teams that play out of Etihad and the 'G' are all within 10 kms maximum of the ground.

Penrith is nearly 40kms from Homebush and as stated, transport options suck.

Distance and travel issues aside, what about the after game events at the club? On Saturday night it was a pleasure to have a drink or two with fellow supporters both before and after the game in the clubhouse and if we were at Homebush, I would be heading straight home. No extra cash to the clubs on gameday kinda sucks.

Sparky 74

Juniors
There is also the fact that the Melbourne AFL teams that play out of Etihad and the 'G' are all within 10 kms maximum of the ground.

Penrith is nearly 40kms from Homebush and as stated, transport options suck.

Distance and travel issues aside, what about the after game events at the club? On Saturday night it was a pleasure to have a drink or two with fellow supporters both before and after the game in the clubhouse and if we were at Homebush, I would be heading straight home. No extra cash to the clubs on gameday kinda sucks.

Ok then why not 2 things that i can think of here

> Free transport say from club house (e.i Panthers) to Homebush or
> Build a Stadium at Blacktown Olympic Park stricky for RL so the EELS, Panthers & even the Tigers can play out of it.

But option 1 would be better.

I'm an EELS support & I would go the Homebust to watch them play as parking in Parra sucks.
You want a full house then drop the cost of tickets say to $15 & $40 family tickets & you will get a full house.

jimmy77au

Juniors
Ok then why not 2 things that i can think of here

> Free transport say from club house (e.i Panthers) to Homebush or
> Build a Stadium at Blacktown Olympic Park stricky for RL so the EELS, Panthers & even the Tigers can play out of it.

But option 1 would be better.

I'm an EELS support & I would go the Homebust to watch them play as parking in Parra sucks.
You want a full house then drop the cost of tickets say to $15 & $40 family tickets & you will get a full house.

dropping the cost of the tickets is not gonna fill an 80k stadium for a regular game...

Granted - parking isnt great at Parra - but I will point out that I never have too much of a problem - I park away from the stadium and use the wonderful things at the bottom of my body - legs - to walk the short 10 minute walk to stadium from there. you park straight away, you leave and don't face any traffic issues etc.

Parking @ Homebush is just as bad - charge you an arm & a leg - on top of the cost to watch it in an empty stadium.

You lose the character of home grounds. Home Grounds should be a place where opposition players & fans alike should hate to go.....

Again, I suggest its a stupid suggestion from Richo to deflect the heat he cops.....

jimmy77au

Juniors
further - each club stands to lose out of this ridiculous suggestion - in terms of revenue. Sure, they get paid to play @ anz - but they miss out on gate takings etc.

Home games, they collect the gate, the concessions etc - and don't have to share with the other clubs they are playing @ Anz evenly.

drop the prices by all means - but worry about a packed parra stadium rather than a half assed, lack of atmosphere bohemeth that is ANZ.

further - each club stands to lose out of this ridiculous suggestion - in terms of revenue. Sure, they get paid to play @ anz - but they miss out on gate takings etc.

Home games, they collect the gate, the concessions etc - and don't have to share with the other clubs they are playing @ Anz evenly.

drop the prices by all means - but worry about a packed parra stadium rather than a half assed, lack of atmosphere bohemeth that is ANZ.

Do we get the concessions though?

And based on Richo's comments, are we one of the teams that loses money on game day?

Gronk

Staff member
Do we get the concessions though?

And based on Richo's comments, are we one of the teams that loses money on game day?

Richo's agenda here is that Souths were forced out of SFS because of the high rent. Just before Souths did the deal with ANZ, they said that only once did they make a profit playing at SFS against the Dogs. All other games they took a hit because of a) the rent and b) their poor support.

Clearly his modus operandi is that SFS have more tenants and then they could argue that the rent for these teams in a bulk NRL tenancy could be negotiated down.

I have no doubt Richo has his own agenda (it appears most people associated with RL do) but I'm all for growing our revenue base and if a home ground move is what it takes to achieve it, then I think it's worth looking at. And I'm not convinced that we would lose supporters if we made such a move. It would be interesting to compare eels v dogs and rabbitohs before and after we took the two games to homebush.

Show me a club that makes $100,000 from gate takings, concession and the rest and then your debate will have some gravity. By the way I am not saying take $100,000 I am saying makes that figure a clear profit.
Next, the "Sharing" you are talking about is something I haven't heard of, ANZ Stadium makes over 11 Million a year from its members before it opens the doors. The Merch sales are made by Rebel Sport who have those rights at the venue, but most clubs have merch vans outside the venue as well. Concessions are the stadiums as are tickets, but the hiring club sets the ticket price.

A few years ago I was told by the previous administration that we lost out at Parramatta Stadium any time we didn't get a decent crowd, I think it was 10,000 or more maybe. That issue can be fixed in the next negotiations with the state government over Parramatta Stadium, but I doubt they are going to pay us to play at Parramatta Stadium.

Even the benefits we garner from our deal with Parramatta Stadium (the club sells the advertising hoardings for the stadium) is not as massive boon as ANZ stadium caters for different advertisers at almost every game.

Parramatta stadium is starting to feel old. It was great when it was the peak of Modern Stadia, but now 25 years on, it is plan to see that the design no longer works. The walkways in front of the patrons in the stands is enough to prove that, then there are the viewing limited seats. The Kitchens can't handle the load of game day, even in their new open configuration.

The thoughts of a new stadium at Blacktown are good and should the FFA had secure the World cup it would have been built, It would have been perfect for games like featuring Wests Tigers, Parramatta and Penrith against each other as long as it was built right and current Season Ticket Holders could get similar seats.

Clubs like Penrith, would be have to get a dispensation like a club like Geelong who are a long way out of the City, but still that place could use a complete do over and expansion, and unlike Brookvale they have the land available to do it.

Personally if I had a choice between going to ANZ Stadium and Parramatta Stadium, I would choose ANZ every time.

Lastly to those that say ANZ has no Atmosphere when empty, I call BULLSHIT.

One of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at a Sporting event was at ANZ Stadium when there were only 17,000 fans there for a Cricket game. If empty seats effects your ability to feel what people around you are doing, then I feel sorry for you.

caylo

Bench
Show me a club that makes $100,000 from gate takings, concession and the rest and then your debate will have some gravity. By the way I am not saying take $100,000 I am saying makes that figure a clear profit.
Next, the "Sharing" you are talking about is something I haven't heard of, ANZ Stadium makes over 11 Million a year from its members before it opens the doors. The Merch sales are made by Rebel Sport who have those rights at the venue, but most clubs have merch vans outside the venue as well. Concessions are the stadiums as are tickets, but the hiring club sets the ticket price.

A few years ago I was told by the previous administration that we lost out at Parramatta Stadium any time we didn't get a decent crowd, I think it was 10,000 or more maybe. That issue can be fixed in the next negotiations with the state government over Parramatta Stadium, but I doubt they are going to pay us to play at Parramatta Stadium.

Even the benefits we garner from our deal with Parramatta Stadium (the club sells the advertising hoardings for the stadium) is not as massive boon as ANZ stadium caters for different advertisers at almost every game.

Parramatta stadium is starting to feel old. It was great when it was the peak of Modern Stadia, but now 25 years on, it is plan to see that the design no longer works. The walkways in front of the patrons in the stands is enough to prove that, then there are the viewing limited seats. The Kitchens can't handle the load of game day, even in their new open configuration.

The thoughts of a new stadium at Blacktown are good and should the FFA had secure the World cup it would have been built, It would have been perfect for games like featuring Wests Tigers, Parramatta and Penrith against each other as long as it was built right and current Season Ticket Holders could get similar seats.

Clubs like Penrith, would be have to get a dispensation like a club like Geelong who are a long way out of the City, but still that place could use a complete do over and expansion, and unlike Brookvale they have the land available to do it.

Personally if I had a choice between going to ANZ Stadium and Parramatta Stadium, I would choose ANZ every time.

Lastly to those that say ANZ has no Atmosphere when empty, I call BULLSHIT.

One of the best atmospheres I have ever experienced at a Sporting event was at ANZ Stadium when there were only 17,000 fans there for a Cricket game. If empty seats effects your ability to feel what people around you are doing, then I feel sorry for you.

Forgetting all that it is easier for me to get to ANZ then to Parra stadium and I live in South Wentworthville, Trains are free with pre-bought tickets and parking isn't expensive.

I honestly think the biggest problem with ANZ is that the seats are too far away from the action but everything else is better. IMO we would draw 20K every week if it was at ANZ. I rarely go to parra stadium, its just a joke to watch it unless you pay $35-40 a ticket. The view is pretty poor.

Eels Dude

Coach
ANZ is a horrible ground for watching rugby league. If you're sitting behind the goalposts there's a twenty metre distance between the first row of seating and the dead ball line. You get a better view of the big screen. Atmosphere is the whole point of attending a live game. If you're sitting in a stadium which is 20% full thus no atmosphere and not sitting close enough to feel part of the action you may as well be watching it on TV at home.

There's no way Penrith fans would attend home games at ANZ. You can suggest free transport or whatever, but that's still an hour trip to get there unless the club can organize an infinite amount of shuttle busses. Playing out of two stadiums works in Melbourne because all the Melbourne clubs bar Geelong (who have their own stadium) are located in or around the outskirts of the CBD. There are no suburban clubs like Sydney have. Clubs in the AFL aren't really really associated with tribalism and their area like Sydney clubs are.