What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Paul Carriage

Gronk

Staff member
I hope Paul is doing well and that he has a nice room.

th

spiderdan

Bench
That rule you're talking about was brought it I think just when the NRL was introduced in 98.

Basically if the ball still had momentum rolling towards the dead ball line, you can rake it dead but you had to have one foot outside the line.

I think it was scrapped in 2001, got too confusing for the referees. A lot those calls were bullsh1t.
nah the rule was always there it was just that brian smith was the first coach to get his team to exploit it (similar to booting the ball into touch from a 20m restart to get a scrum). basically if you were out of bounds when you touched the ball it was deemed the ball was out when it touched you. the rule still stands for taking a restart and includes the ball is deemed in/out of play depending on where your last point of contact with the ground was.

yeah i don't think it was about grounding the ball, but making it dead by putting your foot out of play and touching it .... players were doing it too much so they changed the rule to say the ball had to still be moving to do it
yep. and then i think they changed the rule completely to i'm not sure what (something about the ball needing to have crossed the line i think was added unless it's from a restart i think?)