What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Paul Carriage

forward pass

Coach
Why the f*ck does this game keep getting brought up? What about other capitulations in finals? Dragons in 05? Norths in late 90's? Cronulla did it as well one year. Souths in 87? (They had a great season then fell in a heap against the Raiders. I think Steve Mavin? left the ground at half time after having one of the great meltdowns in a big game) Who was it that the Knights got beaten by in the early 00's after having a big lead during that game? What about all of those and i'm sure there were plenty more.

There have been heaps of finals chokes but leading 18-2 with 11 minutes to go - you can't compare those with the others you mentioned.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I was at the game against Brisbane when we beat them 15-10, it was a dour boring game and we strangled the Bronc's and hung on for a tough win. It was a great coaching by Smithy kicking the ball dead and into touch and slowing the game down. I have no doubt we would have got a hell of a lot closer than the dogs did.

lingard

Coach
That was a wonderful night. My son was born at 4am the morning after that game. Just in time to experience his first eels GF.

That`s fantastic, M.E! What a way to come into the world! My wife went into labour on a Friday night. Started having contractions, but they didn`t get bad enough to go to hospital until a minute or so after full-time in the Parramatta v Manly game. My son was born several hours afterward. Parramatta won. Can`t remember the score. It was July 26th, 1997.
My son hates Rugby League and so does my wife. Go figure.

HevyDevy

Coach
agree. it is the only big game i blame brian smith for us losing but carriage's brain explosions in the last part of regular time and then two in o/t didn't help.

in the first half of o/t we had the dogs pinned close to their line. they kicked and barely got the ball over halfway. whereat let it bounce and when he went to catch it it went through his arms for a knock on. next set the dogs were attacking, we kept them out and they cross kicked. pretty sure carriage only had to let the ball go and it was out on the full. instead he jumped and took it. when he landed was pushed into touch. dogs got the scrum and scored.

similar story in the 2nd half of o/t. we started off pinning the dogs in their 20. they kicked just past half way. when carriage took the ball he planted his foot in touch after he touched the ball rather than before. dogs got the ball. the rest sucked.

at the end of the day we played well enough that we should have had more than 18 on the board with 10 to go in regular time but it just wasn't meant to be. there were 16 other blokes on the field that day that didn't do enough to win. unfortunately carriage was burdened with the brunt of the loss because most people remember the game for those three stuff ups.

You blame Brian? Mate, we were up 18-2 with 11 minutes to go! He did his job. To this say I'll never know what happened. If I believed in God I would say God intervened:

1) John Simon missed a field goal from 20 out right in front with no pressure. He never misses!

2) That Halligan kick for 18-all was deadset swinging away and then swung back in again!

Anyway, it was a freak event, but Carige's first error came at 18-18 and by then the game was over. Nothing was going to halt that Bulldogs charge.

HevyDevy

Coach
I was at the game against Brisbane when we beat them 15-10, it was a dour boring game and we strangled the Bronc's and hung on for a tough win. It was a great coaching by Smithy kicking the ball dead and into touch and slowing the game down. I have no doubt we would have got a hell of a lot closer than the dogs did.

And, might I add, Carige had a blinder.

lingard

Coach
I still laugh when people tell me that Carige lost that game. He most certainly did not.

I agree. I reckon Jason Smith played a HUGE part in that loss. He simply would NOT stop attacking! Making dangerous, low-percentage plays. All we had to do was shut up shop. A lot of Carige`s 'brain explosions' weren`t that at all. That ball was still rolling in the in-goal; if he`d let those other two go into touch and (touch-in-goal, was it?) who`s to say a Canterbury player might not have got to the ball first? He had to go for them.

Stagger eel

Staff member
didn't Jason Smith missa tackle on Rod Silva which you would of bet your house on him chopping down before he scored the first of the dogs tries??

HevyDevy

Coach
That reminds me, I forgot to mention that ridiculous pass the Silva threw to Robert Relf.

The stars certainly aligned for the Dogs that day

spiderdan

Bench
You blame Brian? Mate, we were up 18-2 with 11 minutes to go! He did his job.
yep. My reason being that with ten to go Brian shut up shop. He took off three players that were under an injury cloud thinking the game was won schifkofske, dymock and I think smith (dogs had a disallowed try with 15 to go that gave me a bad feeling). Brian thought the game was over, when he subbed those players late most of the side relaxed because this was a sign they'd won and the dogs grew. That one tactical blunder I believe changed the psychological make up of everyone through the coaching staff to almost every player. Don't believe me ask a bunch of sports shrinks to watch the replay and tell you what they think. More than a few will tell you how big a part that bulk substitution played.

HevyDevy

Coach
yep. My reason being that with ten to go Brian shut up shop. He took off three players that were under an injury cloud thinking the game was won schifkofske, dymock and I think smith (dogs had a disallowed try with 15 to go that gave me a bad feeling). Brian thought the game was over, when he subbed those players late most of the side relaxed because this was a sign they'd won and the dogs grew. That one tactical blunder I believe changed the psychological make up of everyone through the coaching staff to almost every player. Don't believe me ask a bunch of sports shrinks to watch the replay and tell you what they think. More than a few will tell you how big a part that bulk substitution played.

Mate you can't blame him for that. The game was over. The series of events that conspired afterwards was freakish.

That said, my primary memory from that day. I was sitting with Justin Morgan's wife, who was a good friend of mine, and when Whereat scored she said 'We're in the GF!!' I remember saying 'Shut up, don't speak too soon'.

Man, karma.

lingard

Coach

I`m gunna do that. I`m gunna get a bunch of sports shrinks to watch the game with me this weekend. I`ll let you know on Monday what they think.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Mate you can't blame him for that. The game was over. The series of events that conspired afterwards was freakish.

That said, my primary memory from that day. I was sitting with Justin Morgan's wife, who was a good friend of mine, and when Whereat scored she said 'We're in the GF!!' I remember saying 'Shut up, don't speak too soon'.

Man, karma.

bitch

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Maybe if you spoke to her better she'd still be your friend.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
That`s fantastic, M.E! What a way to come into the world! My wife went into labour on a Friday night. Started having contractions, but they didn`t get bad enough to go to hospital until a minute or so after full-time in the Parramatta v Manly game. My son was born several hours afterward. Parramatta won. Can`t remember the score. It was July 26th, 1997.
My son hates Rugby League and so does my wife. Go figure.

My other son who is 3 likes the Rabbitohs only and won't have a bar of the Eels. The wife and family have corrupted him. They're all Maroubra born and bred.

guruminga

Juniors
How to lose a preliminary final

Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 12:00 PM
Source: BigPond Sport
By Daniel Ramus
For very different reasons, Eels and Bulldogs fans will never forget the performance of Parramatta fullback Paul Carige on a cloudy September afternoon back in 1998 at the Sydney Football Stadium ...

The context

Canterbury looked to be out of their depth in the 1998 preliminary final, having finished ninth of the 10 finalists at the end of the regular season. They did remarkably well to reach the last four, having to win three elimination finals over St George, North Sydney and Newcastle successively to qualify.

The performance against the Knights was incredible, given the Bulldogs came back from 16-0 down to level the match at 16-all at the end of regular time, and then won 28-16 after extra-time (back in the days when teams played two 10-minute halves at the end of a drawn final).

Having had a week off while the Bulldogs slugged it out with the Knights, the Eels looked fresh and primed to end Canterbury's dream run. They played all over the Dogs for the majority of the game and put themselves in a seemingly unassailable position, leading 18-2 with only 10 minutes remaining. At this point, television commentators were justified in contemplating Parramatta's chances in the grand final against Brisbane the following week.

But in a staggering turn of events, the Bulldogs managed to score three tries in the final stages of the match, and with goalkicker Daryl Halligan converting two of them, scores were level at 18-all with just moments remaining.

It was in these crucial last moments that Carige began to completely lose his marbles.
Relive the horror
The blunders, blow by blow

In the last minute of regular time, the Dogs attempted a field goal which fell short, leaving the ball rolling slowly around the in-goal area. Carige attempted to earn his side a 20m restart by grounding the almost-stationary ball with his foot over the dead-ball line.

Unfortunately, the rules at the time stated that the ball needed to be in motion to earn a 20-metre restart. Referee Bill Harrigan deemed it had stopped and ordered the Eels to take a line-drop out, giving Canterbury a last-minute chance to break the deadlock.

The Bulldogs launched another unsuccessful attempt at a field goal from the resulting set of six and Carige ended up in possession. Inexplicably, he decided to kick the ball straight back to Canterbury from just outside Parramatta's 10-metre zone on the first tackle - which happened to be the last play of regular time.

It gave Dogs five-eighth Craig Polla-Mounter the chance to kick a field goal from 48 metres out. It was an opportunity Polla-Mounter very nearly capitalised on, with the ball falling just under the cross-bar. Channel Nine commentator Peter Sterling, a former Eels halfback, was clearly bemused by Carige's mistake, saying: "I cannot believe Paul Carige would have ever given an opportunity for that to happen."

The match then went into extra-time - and the fun really started.

With the Dogs leading by a point in the first half of added time, Carige caught a bomb from Polla-Mounter close to the sideline, just 10 metres from the Eels' line. All Bulldogs winger Gavin Lester needed to do was give him a nudge into touch, and he duly did so.

At this point, an increasingly frustrated Sterling launched into a tirade: "He has made some of the dumbest plays I have ever seen in a game of rugby league, Paul Carige. Why he would have ever tried to catch that football, why he wouldn't let it go for Lester to catch or allow it to bounce, I will never, ever know. There was only ever going to be one result and that was him going over the sideline."

Unaware of the outrage in the commentary box and undeterred by his misfortune, Carige continued on his disastrous way.

The Bulldogs led 25-18 in the second half, and Corey Hughes sent a kick in the direction of the Eels' fullback. In running the ball back, Carige simply put his foot over the sideline without a Canterbury player near him.

It was too much for Sterling, who said with a mixture of disbelief and anger: "He's caught the football and run it into touch". Fellow commentator Ray Warren added, with more than a little understatement: "Well, that has capped a day for the boy".

The fallout

Canterbury won the match comfortably, 32-20 and progressed to the grand final against the Broncos.

Carige couldn't step out in public without copping it from fans, and had to move to Coffs Harbour to avoid the spotlight. He then headed overseas, despite having a year still to run on his contract.

Clearly, the Eels couldn't have shown him the door quickly enough.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of BigPond Sport.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/how-to-lose-a-preliminary-final/tabid/91/newsid/72681/default.aspx

Just saw this on nrl.com. Not sure if it's been posted or not yet.

It's not a great memory by any means, but hey, if you can't laugh at yourself then you're taking life too seriously, ha ha. :lol:

How many forumites were at the game? How did Carige leave the ground alive?

G

Latest posts