What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Paul Carriage

fanool

Juniors
The thing about 98 is that the Broncos were favourites to win the comp. Yes we beat em but they were favourites, by a mile. We were never going to win next week. 98 hurts more than it should because it was against the dogs.

No one has mentioned the 2000 prelim we lost. That's because the Broncos were unbackable favourites so it don't hurt so bad.

But. In 1999 we were favourites to win the comp, and after the saints went down we were unbackable favourites to win the comp in 2005. Same in 2001.

For me. When your favourites to win the comp in the 2nd last week of the comp, the expectation is that you will win the comp. In 2005 you could see in the body language that day we were going down and we didn't have Hindy or Fui. In 2001 it was over fairly early too. So I look back and say at the end of the day the other side deserved to win.

But in 1999 we were f$cking robbed by that f$cken c$ck smoker Harrigan for doing nothing about that dirty f$cken Kearney doing high shots on Smith all night. And then blowing Burt for a knock on that was a strip which led to the match winning try.

I can't f$cking believe he is the eels coach and the c%ck smoker is the refs boss. And everyone gets on this site and says how great he is. UNBELIEVABLE.

It is a very sad joke.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The thing about 98 is that the Broncos were favourites to win the comp. Yes we beat em but they were favourites, by a mile. We were never going to win next week. 98 hurts more than it should because it was against the dogs.

No one has mentioned the 2000 prelim we lost. That's because the Broncos were unbackable favourites so it don't hurt so bad.

But. In 1999 we were favourites to win the comp, and after the saints went down we were unbackable favourites to win the comp in 2005. Same in 2001.

For me. When your favourites to win the comp in the 2nd last week of the comp, the expectation is that you will win the comp. In 2005 you could see in the body language that day we were going down and we didn't have Hindy or Fui. In 2001 it was over fairly early too. So I look back and say at the end of the day the other side deserved to win.

But in 1999 we were f$cking robbed by that f$cken c$ck smoker Harrigan for doing nothing about that dirty f$cken Kearney doing high shots on Smith all night. And then blowing Burt for a knock on that was a strip which led to the match winning try.

I can't f$cking believe he is the eels coach and the c%ck smoker is the refs boss. And everyone gets on this site and says how great he is. UNBELIEVABLE.

It is a very sad joke.

dude, Rocket Reddy has been employed by the club for a good part of 10 years, I think we can get over that sort of shit.

strider

Post Whore

It is a very sad joke.

not to mention the blatantly forward pass that was allowed on their match winning try ..... the cheats weren't actually cheating then, the f'n NRL was doing it for them ..... but no, I'm not carrying a grudge at all - its all sweet :fist:

fanool

Juniors
Fair call stagger. Time will tell. But at the moment is rather have Jim dymock on the books . I have fond memories of him.

fanool

Juniors
CLive Churchill medal winner vs manly is a fond memory..... but I don't have any others!

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

3760%7EThe-Beverly-Hillbillies-Homeland-Security-Posters.jpg

jono

Juniors
Should this be extended to ....how to lose a preliminary final , parts 2,3,& 4 ....1999,2000,2005
I was at the game in question (actually I've borne witness to ALL our finals chokes ) and I have to say the 99 & 05 chokes were probably worse.
Only good result for me from '98 was that , when Whearat scored the runaway try for
18-2 , some frustrated dogs fans decided to start a fight , were thrown out by security and thus missed the amazing comeback.

adamkungl

Immortal
Massive bump...

Can someone explain the rule regarding grounding a rolling ball for a 20m tap?

It's not a current rule is it...? Am I missing something here?

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Some of those errors last Friday night and from the Warriors reminded me of Carige. :x

That rule you're talking about was brought it I think just when the NRL was introduced in 98.

Basically if the ball still had momentum rolling towards the dead ball line, you can rake it dead but you had to have one foot outside the line.

I think it was scrapped in 2001, got too confusing for the referees. A lot those calls were bullsh1t.

strider

Post Whore
yeah i don't think it was about grounding the ball, but making it dead by putting your foot out of play and touching it .... players were doing it too much so they changed the rule to say the ball had to still be moving to do it

Eels Dude

Coach
Geez was it that bad? I remember players would put one foot over the dead ball line and bat the ball back to get a 20 metre tap which was outlawed very quickly, didn't realise all you had to do was touch the ball before that to get a 20 tap.