What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT- Paul Green leaves Cows

TruSaint

Referee
Green makes immediate exit from Cowboys

North Queensland coach Paul Green will exit the Cowboys with 18 months to run on his contract, effective immediately.

An announcement from the club confirmed the news after Green told players and staff of the move on Monday morning.

"After seven years as head coach it is with a heavy heart that I make this announcement," Green said.

"The board felt that the club was at a juncture where they needed to move in a different direction, and I can only respect their views.

"Whilst this is obviously disappointing news, I am grateful to the board for allowing me to lead this club whilst creating some lifelong memories.

"I will use this next period to freshen up, spend some time with my family and assess options before moving on to my next coaching role."

Green was contracted to the Cowboys until the end of 2022 but will depart early after underwhelming returns in recent seasons have followed the club's historic 2015 premiership.

Assistant coach Josh Hannay will take charge for the remainder of the season as the Cowboys "undertake a thorough recruitment process" for a longterm successor.

"I'm pleased the club is providing an opportunity for Josh Hannay and David Tangata-Toa to stretch themselves in the coming weeks and thank them, our football staff and our players for their support," Green said.

"We have some terrific young players coming through our system which will set up the club for further success in the future.

"I'd also like to thank all of those who aided in delivering the club’s first premiership to the North Queensland community - being a part of that historical season is something I will always treasure."

North Queensland showed glimpses of their future with youngsters Daejarn Asi and Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow playing strongly on Sunday against Penrith but were outclassed by the Panthers 22-10.

The loss means they are 12th at the halfway point of the rescheduled season with a 3-7 record.

Long-term injuries to captain Michael Morgan and star recruit Valentine Holmes have hampered their 2020 campaign.

Chairman Lewis Ramsay thanked Green for his pivotal contribution to the club.

"Paul has spearheaded some remarkable achievements during his time with us and we will be forever thankful for the club-defining moments he has generated,” Ramsay said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/20/green-set-to-part-ways-with-cowboys-effective-immediately/

Crush

Coach
Cowboys are very disappointing.
They are similar to Warriors other than they had JT, one of the greatest ever players, win them a premiership.
I'm tipping next coach won't have much success either, they are just one of those clubs, like the Warriors.

jeffdragon

Bench
I was going to post thread Paul is sacked but i thought better of it.
He was assistant to Trent Robinson.
Won comp with a JT and had the cattle.
Just goes to show you have to have the cattle
Like Trent Robinson has.
With a average team Trent would struggle too.

SBD82

Coach
I’d jump at the opportunity to sign most premiership coaches, but not Green.

I think he did a great job at the cows with Henry’s roster, and took them to the next level. But his development and retention of young talent and overseeing their transition to first grade has been a huge disappointment. Guys like Ponga, Kikau and BSmith should currently be making up the core of that team, and blokes like Hess should be origin mainstays by now.

I don’t think he’s the style of coach that we need. We need someone who can milk the best out of guys like Dufty, Lomax, Ford, Host and Saab.

TruSaint

Referee

I think he did a great job at the cows with Henry’s roster, and took them to the next level. But his development and retention of young talent and overseeing their transition to first grade has been a huge disappointment. Guys like Ponga, Kikau and BSmith should currently be making up the core of that team, and blokes like Hess should be origin mainstays by now.

I don’t think he’s the style of coach that we need. We need someone who can milk the best out of guys like Dufty, Lomax, Ford, Host and Saab.

We need a hard head bro.
Green has a good footy brain, no doubt, but he also had the privilege of having JT in the premiership winning squad. Someone who demands discipline is what is needed by us.

since77

Juniors
Meanwhile Ryan Webb says on weekend he is happy with McGregor. Seems this club is happy to keep an underperforming coach..
Unbelievable

The Dragons way.
Mary will actually get sacked but it will happen at seasons end.
By then the Warriors, Dogs, Cowboys and Broncos will all have new Coaches sorted and we will be left with whatever’s left.
Enter Dean Young.
The Dragons Way.

TruSaint

Referee
I agree. Maguire is squeezing the very best out of a fairly uneven squad. Sign of a great coach.

I look at that Tigers squad, and barring a few games they are fricken competitive.
He doesn't shy away from dropping "stars" either. Yet, when they return, they seem to go well.

Understated, calm and must be very disciplined with his plan for the club. He also delivered a title for the Rabbits.

SBD82

Coach
The Dragons way.
By then the Warriors, Dogs, Cowboys and Broncos will all have new Coaches sorted and we will be left with whatever’s left.
Enter Dean Young.
The Dragons Way.
It doesn’t matter who is left. Madge was a free agent for more than half a season. And we still didn’t chase him.

matPORTS

Juniors
The Dragons way.
Enter Dean Young.
The Dragons Way.

We don't rush to make decisions of this nature... but we do rush through a new deal in early-April 2019 because "we thought other clubs were chasing him" (normally we wait on these things until ANZAC Day).

Yep... The Dragons Way !

Many people overlook the fact that Demetriou was an integral part of the coaching brains trust when the Cowboys won their first premiership.
Green is bog average in my opinion.
Well spoken but not an elite NRL coach by any stretch.

Latest posts