What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Germany Tonight

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think the plan was to bring on Kewell for the last 20-30min, if it was a tight game, maybe a goal difference. After Cahill got sent off, no point bringing Kewell in. They would just put two blokes on him and hound him mercifully

At the end of the day we dont have a lot of world class players in the XI.

Still 2 games to go, but I wonder If poor showings there will affect our 2022 bid?

Tony Bongo

Bench
Ballack is out and Germany are historically slow starters. A draw isn't out of the question. I'm thinking of going down to the local German club to watch it dressed in green and gold :crazy:. If it looks like we are going to win I will just leave early.

I was clearly talking about the first 6 minutes not the whole first match.:roll:
Pimm is a clown. Let's try a formation we have never played with, a combination of players we have never used and leave 4 of our best players on the bench in Bresciano, Kewell, Kennedy and Carney . I don't get what that guy was thinking. I can only assume he had written the game off and was thinking of the future by giving some younger players world class experience. He doesn't have a job after this so he is the perfect fall guy for any backlash by supporters.

2150_souLJA

Juniors
We embarrassed ourselves.

Played sh*thouse football, no tactical awareness whatsoever, and add in trademark socceroo thuggery to boot.

Worst team in World Cup bar none.

2150_souLJA

Juniors
What about Lucas Neill's flying knee attack to the German blokes back, or Grella running into people with his elbow sticking out. Do they think they're playing at Fairfield Oval or something? This is the World Cup theres about 1000 different cameras on the ball and you think you can get away with that sh*t??

Cahill probably wouldnt of received a red for that challenge(which was bad btw) if Neill and Grella weren't up to their usual sh*t.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
What about Lucas Neill's flying knee attack to the German blokes back, or Grella running into people with his elbow sticking out. Do they think they're playing at Fairfield Oval or something? This is the World Cup theres about 1000 different cameras on the ball and you think you can get away with that sh*t??

Cahill probably wouldnt of received a red for that challenge(which was bad btw) if Neill and Grella weren't up to their usual sh*t.

I know. They were so rough.

fish eel

Immortal
I was clearly talking about the first 6 minutes not the whole first match.:roll:

Told you that was a myth. ;-)

Germany scored 4 in the first game of the 2006 world cup.

They scored 8 in their first game in 2002.

won 2-0 first up in 1998, 1-0 in 94 and 4-1 in 1990 (allbeit as west germany)

you can now mark them down for 4 goals first up in 2010 and see they actually hit the ground running.

Pimm is a clown. Let's try a formation we have never played with, a combination of players we have never used and leave 4 of our best players on the bench in Bresciano, Kewell, Kennedy and Carney . I don't get what that guy was thinking. I can only assume he had written the game off and was thinking of the future by giving some younger players world class experience. He doesn't have a job after this so he is the perfect fall guy for any backlash by supporters.

actually, it was pointed out to me we saw this formation previously, and it's true.

we played a similar formation away to Japan in the qualifiers and drew 0-0. They bombarded our goal most of the match and Cahill was up front alone.

Tony Bongo

Bench
actually, it was pointed out to me we saw this formation previously, and it's true.

we played a similar formation away to Japan in the qualifiers and drew 0-0. They bombarded our goal most of the match and Cahill was up front alone.[/QUOTE]

We played a 5 man defensive mid field and gave a winger in Garcia a striking role. He has never done that before and I doubt he will again. If we were going to play defensively I think we shouldn't have defended so far up the field either. It seemed at times that we had no sweepers and 5 men in a line between the edge of the penalty area and the half way line. They had too much room in behind us I thought and our legs were too old to turn and chase. They were good but we didn't need to look so bad.

bartman

Immortal

That's all I've seen Grella do over his whole career, play the mindless thug.

He's a liability imo, and I'm glad someone else can see the stuff that contributed to the Cahill red card, explaining why the penalty for that incident alone seemed harsh.

Rubbish. A referee doesn't say to himself 'well his teammates are being dirty so I better send Cahill off.' The referee saw the tackle, thought it was worse than it was and sent him off. Simple as that.

mickdo

Coach
Rubbish. A referee doesn't say to himself 'well his teammates are being dirty so I better send Cahill off.' The referee saw the tackle, thought it was worse than it was and sent him off. Simple as that.

Given that the ref had already yellow carded two Germans for diving, that should have been in his mind as well. The red was a clear over reaction.

Eelementary

Post Whore
we got sucked in to the hype about Germany and were beaten before we took the field.

They were very beatable last night if we took the game to them. We didnt.

Fact is this German side are cumbersome at the back and inexperienced, lacking authority in midfield. They've got weaknesses that we didnt try to exploit.

The Germans played outstanding football because they were allowed too. We simply failed to put any pressure on them when they had the ball whatsoever.

If they win the world cup, they should thank us because we were so timid, we allowed their young side to feel right at home in the world cup.

That's a fair point. But they're still miles ahead of us IMO.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I know that 'FIFA don't like us' is the company line but I'm not buying it.

The soccer team has choked at crucial stages trying to qualify in the past - losing home legs, unable to score. This is not FIFA's fault. From what I can see since 2006 they have taken us out of a too-difficult-for-us qualifying path and invented a soft option for us.

Our soccer team are media darlings who are allowed to trot out ready made excuses and be lauded for weak performances.

They are in the same category as tennis players and commonwealth games athletes. Protected species.

Those competing in other sports are expected to perform - rugby league, union, cricket, golf, motor sport - our athletes do not get praised for turning up. It's win or cop it. And these aren't all sports we dominate. Golf and motorsport are notoriously tough - yet we still expect champions.

It took years of lobbying and common sense for FIFA to finally let us qualify properly for the Cup. It's not a WORLD cup if there aren't representatives from all aspects of the globe. Oceania, until recently, was not being given a fair go. This, from a governing body who claim they want to grow the sport.

Trying to qualify for the World Cup by playing South American teams was harsh and unfair, but at least it steeled the team for playing against tough opponents.

Having said that, the Socceroos' biggest problem IMO is and always has been their inability to set up attacking raids and take advantage of them. They will claim we simply don't have the cattle to play a more attacking style of football. Well, I disagree - we don't have the cattle to play a defensive style. Neill and Moore, great as they were once upon a time, are slow and cumbersome at the back.

Parra Guru

Coach
Germany were all over us, very sharp. I didn't expect us to win, but we needed a better showing. The defense was woeful.

Now it's sudden death for us basically. :(

Suitman

Post Whore
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we can win our next two matches.
I think we looked awefully cumbersome in defence. Even Neill is looking slow these days. I don't know what other options we have in defence, but one change I'd be making is bringing Carney in to replace Chipperfield. I'm a big fan of Chipperfield but he's getting on a bit and lacks pace. At least Carney can add some pace on the left side and he invariably creates opportunities with his speed that Chipperfield can't.

Suity

fish eel

Immortal

Definately. Even if we only lost 1 or 2 zip we'd still be looking at getting 2 wins.

We're last start winners over Ghana. And that was with Michael Essien.

We're more than capable of beating them as long as the right side is put out.

I think we looked awefully cumbersome in defence. Even Neill is looking slow these days. I don't know what other options we have in defence, but one change I'd be making is bringing Carney in to replace Chipperfield. I'm a big fan of Chipperfield but he's getting on a bit and lacks pace. At least Carney can add some pace on the left side and he invariably creates opportunities with his speed that Chipperfield can't.

Suity

I think we looked so slow because the back four were sitting quite high and pushing trying to catch the Germans offside - but we do need more pace. Did you know we have a guy called Eddie Bosnar playing week in week out (starting) in the J League - and he couldnt even get a look in ahead of a clubless Craig Moore - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Bosnar

I agree on Chippers. We got torn apart down his side of the field. Carney for Chippers would be a straight swap. Tough call though because the bus driver is a legend.

Another possibility I'd like to see if you shift Wilkshire to the left, drop Emerton back and bring in Nikita Rukavystya to play wide on the right to use his pace - because we're basically slow all over the paddock.

Or, another change to get Rukavystyva in could be Carney for Chippers. Wilkshire in the centre of the park for anyone of Grella, Culina or Valeri, then Emerton drops back.

The reason of shifting Wilkshire into the centre of the park is again, we were just to slow. He wouldnt let us down and has played there before. By replacing him at right back with Emerton, you're not weakening that position either.

Harry Kewell has to start as well. If he can only get through 45, 50 or 60 minutes so be it. But he has to start. We just cant leave anything in the change room.

Suitman

Post Whore
Definately. Even if we only lost 1 or 2 zip we'd still be looking at getting 2 wins.

We're last start winners over Ghana. And that was with Michael Essien.

We're more than capable of beating them as long as the right side is put out.

I think we looked so slow because the back four were sitting quite high and pushing trying to catch the Germans offside - but we do need more pace. Did you know we have a guy called Eddie Bosnar playing week in week out (starting) in the J League - and he couldnt even get a look in ahead of a clubless Craig Moore - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Bosnar

I agree on Chippers. We got torn apart down his side of the field. Carney for Chippers would be a straight swap. Tough call though because the bus driver is a legend.

Another possibility I'd like to see if you shift Wilkshire to the left, drop Emerton back and bring in Nikita Rukavystya to play wide on the right to use his pace - because we're basically slow all over the paddock.

Or, another change to get Rukavystyva in could be Carney for Chippers. Wilkshire in the centre of the park for anyone of Grella, Culina or Valeri, then Emerton drops back.

The reason of shifting Wilkshire into the centre of the park is again, we were just to slow. He wouldnt let us down and has played there before. By replacing him at right back with Emerton, you're not weakening that position either.

Harry Kewell has to start as well. If he can only get through 45, 50 or 60 minutes so be it. But he has to start. We just cant leave anything in the change room.

Agree with all of that. I have also heard that Josh Kennedy may pose problems for the shorter Ghanian defence, so that should also be looked at as a possibility.
I know it's not going to happen, but what have the Aussies got to lose by appealing the send off of Cahill?

Suity

Suity

Suitman,

Mate I don't rate the bloke.
Anyteam that has the quality of Carney in their squad should not be in the world cup. Seriously, Asia is way to easy for us to Qualify for the WC. The standard in ASIA is sh*te and the FFA are probably laughing about how easy it is to Qualify. This easy qualification just covers up how low a standard our national team has become. Old and stale with no hint of vision, pace and skill.

How the hell didn't Nicky carle make that squad?? FFS sake he is much most of those twats. What about Tommy Oar quick and fast. It's a young mans game and we have pensioners playing for us.

Our coach won't be with us after this tournament so it does not surprise me with his player selection policy. He was not looking to the future because he isn't going to be around.

It's so annoying.

fish eel

Immortal
Agree with all of that. I have also heard that Josh Kennedy may pose problems for the shorter Ghanian defence, so that should also be looked at as a possibility.
I know it's not going to happen, but what have the Aussies got to lose by appealing the send off of Cahill?

Suity

I hope he plays.

He played for almost ten years in Germany, and was successful in the Bundesliga.

I would have thought having that experience would have been valuable on Monday morning. Obviously not.

Kennedy actually scored two goals against Hertha Berlin in his last Bundesliga game before moving to Japan. Arne Friedrich who was in the german defence on Monday played for Hertha at the time (not sure if he played that day though it is likely he did).

Suitman

Post Whore
Suitman,

Mate I don't rate the bloke.
Anyteam that has the quality of Carney in their squad should not be in the world cup. Seriously, Asia is way to easy for us to Qualify for the WC. The standard in ASIA is sh*te and the FFA are probably laughing about how easy it is to Qualify. This easy qualification just covers up how low a standard our national team has become. Old and stale with no hint of vision, pace and skill.

How the hell didn't Nicky carle make that squad?? FFS sake he is much most of those twats. What about Tommy Oar quick and fast. It's a young mans game and we have pensioners playing for us.

Our coach won't be with us after this tournament so it does not surprise me with his player selection policy. He was not looking to the future because he isn't going to be around.

It's so annoying.

Too right it's annoying.
Veerbak has been way too conservative throughout his regime.
If you are talking about old and slow though, surely Carney offers more than Chipperfield? I respect that you don't rate him though.
As for Tommy Oar, I can sort of understand why he was left out. He only came to the fore in the A-League before Christmas. It's a huge risk to throw someone so inexperienced into a World Cup.
I will expect that the team against Ghana will be vastly different to what we saw trotted out against the Germans.

Suity

Latest posts