What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Socceroos v Germany Tonight

the tackle was hard but not illegal and the German player should be given some credit he didn't lay there for 5mins like some players do, he got straight up to play on and even seeked out Cahill after the game and told him it was not a send off.

it's all about money we get a sh*t load just for quailfing so why not take the easiest route thru from management's point of view it's great. We really need to play more friendly's against European and South American teams in the year leading up to the WC.

Too right it's annoying.
Veerbak has been way too conservative throughout his regime.
If you are talking about old and slow though, surely Carney offers more than Chipperfield? I respect that you don't rate him though.
As for Tommy Oar, I can sort of understand why he was left out. He only came to the fore in the A-League before Christmas. It's a huge risk to throw someone so inexperienced into a World Cup.
I will expect that the team against Ghana will be vastly different to what we saw trotted out against the Germans.

Suity

The coach has heaps to answer for.
In every facet as a coach he has failed. Team selections for the German game and looking forward to Australia's future. And mark Bosnich was right, the team attitude before the game of Giving the germans credit and too much respect was disgraceful.

Fairdinkum, Why didn't he put Harry and Bres on in the 20 mins of the German game just so they can some match fitness?? the game was over and he should of put them on. What a dope.

Suitman

Post Whore
Fairdinkum, Why didn't he put Harry and Bres on in the 20 mins of the German game just so they can some match fitness?? the game was over and he should of put them on. What a dope.

I believe by the time Cahill was sent, Pim had decided the game was gone, and was hoping we could go into damage minimilisation control, thus saving (or protecting) the two players you have mentioned for the final two games, considering they have both been under injury clouds anyway.
The extra 5 days recovery may end up being a masterstroke, but then hey, I may also be clutching at this........

220px-Rice_straw.jpg

Suity

fish eel

Immortal
Tommy Oar is actually over there training, just not part of the 23 man squad.

TBH, though, I'm really not sure where he would fit in/who you would play him ahead of?

As for Asian qualification. It's much, much better for us. We'll reap the benefits in the long term IMO. There's more meaningful matches and that can only be a good thing. As for easiest route, that would be if we stayed in Oceania, this year we'd only have to beat up on the kiwis and then the 5th place asian side.

Interesting comment by Jake how the coach wont be there post the wc so doesnt really care about the future. Good comparison is with the German coach who isnt contracted after the WC, but has regenerated the squad an introduced a lot of young players......

PJ Marshal

Coach
Well lets just hope things will be set right with a New Zealand loss tonight

still wish nicky carle was in seth afrika , i reckon he'd have a bit to offer

Suitman

Post Whore
Well lets just hope things will be set right with a New Zealand loss tonight

still wish nicky carle was in seth afrika , i reckon he'd have a bit to offer

For some unknown reason he has never been on the list of Pim's favourites.

Suity

PJ Marshal

Coach
Well we can cleary see Pim is a big fan of Richard Garcia when everyone else isnt!

Despite all the sh*t Pim cops id much rather him than Terry Venables haha

I also cant wait till Ruud Gullit gets a hold of Australia and starts making us play "sexy" football. Cant wait to see how sexy he can make jackrabbit Brett Holman play.

fish eel

Immortal
TBH I think Nick Carle is a bit over rated, and wouldnt pick him ahead of the the back up guys like Dario Vidosic anyway. He has been to Europe twice, and both times ended up coming back to Australia

However, I would agree he hasnt really been given much of a go by Verbeek. I mean, to pick him in the prelim squad, then not to even use him against the Kiwis and then axe him seemed really pointless and a waste of time.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
On a side note, how come England can't beat the USA? England are right into soccer whereas I don't think the yanks are.

Parra Guru

Coach
How bout Italy!!!

I swear if Italy somehow don't make it into the next round, that would make me a soccer fan for life :lol:

But it won't happen

mickdo

Coach
Can't agree on qualification through Asia being easy. When we came through Oceania we would only play our 'stars' for two games every 4 years against the 5th South American team, and that just doesn't benefit anyone. The Oceania games were a joke, with our B and C squad winning some games 24-0. FMD that's just a waste of time.

Through Asia we have many more higher quality games (yes, not neccessarily all top class, but at least not against American Samoa ffs), with lots of away games for our A squad in the middle east, and getting to play Japan/SK home and away far more regalarly, AND getting to play in the Asian Cup. It's a no-brainer, and a single loss to the German powerhouse or our coach's dumb selection choices should not be used as an argument against that.

Latest posts