What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: The Bush Fires + Royal Commission

Gronk

Staff member
Paid volunteers

The NSW RFS leader was on media adimantly stating that volunteer fire fight must remain voluntary

This article sounds like a mass of horse shit. Of course there were going to be rules. Just cos the media never had them doesnt mean the whole thing was some massive hoax

Is the fassifern guardian the new beetoota advocate?

I don't think the article is incorrect, but yes it the journo has gone all triggered over not much. Essentially merkins will get reimbursed if they are on leave without pay. The only shitter is that if they are off work for 14 business days, they only get 4 days pay. If said merkin usually worked 10-4, he gets his hourly rate for those hours. He may have spent 14 hours a day fighting fires, but thems the breaks and part of volunteerism.

strider

Post Whore
I don't think the article is incorrect, but yes it the journo has gone all triggered over not much. Essentially merkins will get reimbursed if they are on leave without pay. The only shitter is that if they are off work for 14 business days, they only get 4 days pay. If said merkin usually worked 10-4, he gets his hourly rate for those hours. He may have spent 14 hours a day fighting fires, but thems the breaks and part of volunteerism.
Yeah I reckon all volunteers recognise they are volunteering to do it and would accept the rules.

This is just another case of some f**k stick journo who doesnt like the government making up a flame article to have a go at someone they already dont like.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Yeah cheers. I get the theory I think but it seems like taking a toy light sabre to a gun fight. Especially if the rest of the house is surrounded by a timber veranda. And the gutters are old so to have any chance of filling them you've gotta replace pretty much all of it.

If you'd ever removed an eave lining you'd have noticed that a whole lot of shit like leaf debris fell on you, and you swore about what a merkin of job it is. This is because this shit falls in your gutters and when the wind blows the gutters can cause it to blow around within the gutter and the shit gets blown in through the gap between whatever your roofing material is and the fascia.

Now this shit never gets wet, so it's tinder dry, as are your roof timbers, so if an ember falls in your gutter, and the wind blows it in between the same gap, it's got a ready made source of fuel to ignite. But if an ember falls ito a goutter full of water, it goes out.

If you'd ever removed an eave lining you'd have noticed that a whole lot of shit like leaf debris fell on you, and you swore about what a merkin of job it is. This is because this shit falls in your gutters and when the wind blows the gutters can cause it to blow around within the gutter and the shit gets blown in through the gap between whatever your roofing material is and the fascia.

Now this shit never gets wet, so it's tinder dry, as are your roof timbers, so if an ember falls in your gutter, and the wind blows it in between the same gap, it's got a ready made source of fuel to ignite. But if an ember falls ito a goutter full of water, it goes out.
Ok that makes sense. But would it not be more practical to plug the gaps?

Bandwagon

Staff member
Ok that makes sense. But would it not be more practical to plug the gaps?

What are you gonna plug 'em with?

Think about a corrugated roof, lots of little holes, and the roof will move around with the heat of the sun and cool of night, so you need something solid, flexible, and fireproof, that ain't gonna be horrendously expensive and stay stuck in place for many years and not develop any gaps as the timber fascia shrinks and expands with the weather.

Far easier to maintain your gutters and shove something in your downpipe ( not a euphemism )

What are you gonna plug 'em with?

Think about a corrugated roof, lots of little holes, and the roof will move around with the heat of the sun and cool of night, so you need something solid, flexible, and fireproof, that ain't gonna be horrendously expensive and stay stuck in place for many years and not develop any gaps as the timber fascia shrinks and expands with the weather.

Far easier to maintain your gutters and shove something in your downpipe ( not a euphemism )
Blu tak? But yeah, I take your point. It's just a pain in the arse. Although I do wonder now if you could mostly fill the gaps with something, even if things shift over time. Would stop embers that flew directly in for the most part. Whether it would cause ventilation problems or something else I don't know.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Blu tak? But yeah, I take your point. It's just a pain in the arse. Although I do wonder now if you could mostly fill the gaps with something, even if things shift over time. Would stop embers that flew directly in for the most part. Whether it would cause ventilation problems or something else I don't know.

Yeah, at the end of the day the gaps are there regardless of whether that's practical or not, so hence the advice.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hey it takes a long time. You have to drink alot of wine to pee that much
Plus when you are intermittent keto-ing you are only allowed to drink wine on every second full moon otherwise you mess with your ketones. Thats gotta slow things down.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
F**k off Sri, you f**ken whiny little despicable shitbag. Go back to being an irrelevance.

23185924-7868295-image-a-27_1578561784606.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Originally the idea of sticking a towel in your down pipe and filling your gutters with water is so that if there is a fire approaching then the FB hose down your roof, the gutters overflow and wet the walls of your house.

Simples.

It also has the added advantage of extinguishing embers that fall into the gutter as Bandy said

Bazal

Post Whore
F**k off Sri, you f**ken whiny little despicable shitbag. Go back to being an irrelevance.

23185924-7868295-image-a-27_1578561784606.jpg

Classic modern politics.

"Mining/fossil fuel companies = bad, end of story."

The fact that some of these companies actually do more environmental work than many governments seems to be something their little binary brains can't even process.