What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Attack

Dragons_Head

Juniors
I honestly think our best option is to mix dugan between centre and fullback ... keep him fullback in defence so we get the benefit of his kick returns and then in attack put him in the centres, it looked like we did this a bit in the second half on the weekend which co-incided with us playing better... get farrell out of first grade and bring peter m back in to play the fullback role in attack!

TheRev

First Grade
Consensus? Really? You've come to the wrong place bro...

IF we were to follow the Widdop to fullback plan, I'd be going Dugan to the left (he can at least pass that way), Aitken to the right, Hutcho to 7 (and take over attacking kicks) and Benji to 6.
this is precisely the solution that will give us the best from our current roster, Aitken has shown in 1 game that he deserves his favoured side and if his body is up to it, will form a brutal partnership with nightingale.

Consensus though agree, not going to happen.. not 2 weeks in a row anyway =)

IMO if we were going to thro widdop at fullback I think or best backlline would be
1.widdop 2. Nabuli 3. Aitken 4. The duges 5. Nighty 6. Marshall 7. At toss up between crook an hutcho surely one of these two hopefully both but I can see at least one of having a very successful career at our mighty red V
Thoughts?
Also from what I have been reading apparently rein has had a massive serving from marry an is on the verge of losing his spot lets hope this is the kick in the bum he needed

giboz71

First Grade
I'm all for tweaking our attack, but we recruited Dugan based on his abilities as a fullback and the form he showed in that position in his Canberra days. If he's not going to play there, why did we keep him and his $700k pricetag and let Bmoz go so he can be a gun fullback for the dogs?

The decision to buy Widdop was based on the assumption that he would be the 5/8 to replace Soward. If we're going to move him to FB, why did we let Sowie go to be a star at the Panthers?

This is the path we have chosen, Dugan at FB, Widdop at 5/8. Why can't our coaching staff make this work? I"m sure there are many other teams that could.

TheRev

First Grade
I'm all for tweaking our attack, but we recruited Dugan based on his abilities as a fullback and the form he showed in that position in his Canberra days. If he's not going to play there, why did we keep him and his $700k pricetag and let Bmoz go so he can be a gun fullback for the dogs?

The decision to buy Widdop was based on the assumption that he would be the 5/8 to replace Soward. If we're going to move him to FB, why did we let Sowie go to be a star at the Panthers?

This is the path we have chosen, Dugan at FB, Widdop at 5/8. Why can't our coaching staff make this work? I"m sure there are many other teams that could.
This is the mentality that got us here unfortunately, you cant lock yourself into making more bad decisions in 2015, because of bad decisions in years gone by.. you have to play the reality of whats in front of you now.

But just to be clear also.. Soward left because he could not work with Price, BMoz went because the Dogs wanted another Morris Bros so they could pretend they were "Born & Bred", Widdop was recruited because had 0 halves (we now have 3 others)

We have made some terrible decisions in years gone by, Dugan, Rein, Hunt, Farrell's contracts, particularly the longer ones were terrible management decisions, and exactly why we have Mulholland to oversee our purchases in the future.

The reality in 2015 is that Widdop has a complete set of fullback skills (he actually is a fullback), Dugan has half a set of skills, and although still valuable @1, is also is a gun centre which is a weak spot we have, and Hutcho/Crook are both real chances at being our longterm halves options to partner Benji and eventually succeed him.

Cagey Mac

Bench

Benji is new to the equation
Doesn't seem to be working
Combining elements, so disparate and so established in their ways is interesting
Experimentation may be the best way to achieve an optimal outcome

giboz71

First Grade
This is the mentality that got us here unfortunately, you cant lock yourself into making more bad decisions in 2015, because of bad decisions in years gone by.. you have to play the reality of whats in front of you now.

But just to be clear also.. Soward left because he could not work with Price, BMoz went because the Dogs wanted another Morris Bros so they could pretend they were "Born & Bred", Widdop was recruited because had 0 halves (we now have 3 others)

We have made some terrible decisions in years gone by, Dugan, Rein, Hunt, Farrell's contracts, particularly the longer ones were terrible management decisions, and exactly why we have Mulholland to oversee our purchases in the future.

The reality in 2015 is that Widdop has a complete set of fullback skills (he actually is a fullback), Dugan has half a set of skills, and although still valuable @1, is also is a gun centre which is a weak spot we have, and Hutcho/Crook are both real chances at being our longterm halves options to partner Benji and eventually succeed him.

Yep...good post Rev. Agree with all that.

I guess I'm just lamenting some of the poor short sighted decisions that have been made and are now biting us.

Your scenario actually looks pretty good...whether or not the coaches make it happen is another story.

BrissyRedV

Bench

Exactly. Let's see if our coach can pick this up.

bottle

Coach
Seems to be a general feel on the forums that these mooted changes have merit. Are they even on the radar of the coaching staff though? I'd be doubtful. I'd also be doubtful that either of the key players involved (Dugan and Widdop) would be keen on the changes. Dugan wants to play fullback at SoO level, and Widdpo wanted the opportunity to lead and prove himself as a leader away from the big 3 in Melbourne.
Now sure, whilst their personal opinions shouldn't affect decision making that should be in the best interests of the team dynamic, that doesn't mean that in reality they won't be taken into account.

BennyV

Referee
Dugan is still a weapon fullback and Widdop is still a great 5/8. All the titanic-deck-chair-reshuffling wont help unless our coaching staff can pull together a game plan with some.cohesion to utilise the attacking skills of our players. Hasn't happened in 4 years...

possm

Coach
Dugan is still a weapon fullback and Widdop is still a great 5/8. All the titanic-deck-chair-reshuffling wont help unless our coaching staff can pull together a game plan with some.cohesion to utilise the attacking skills of our players. Hasn't happened in 4 years...

Well said BennyV, my thoughts exactly!

BrissyRedV

Bench
Seems to be a general feel on the forums that these mooted changes have merit. Are they even on the radar of the coaching staff though? I'd be doubtful. I'd also be doubtful that either of the key players involved (Dugan and Widdop) would be keen on the changes. Dugan wants to play fullback at SoO level, and Widdpo wanted the opportunity to lead and prove himself as a leader away from the big 3 in Melbourne.
Now sure, whilst their personal opinions shouldn't affect decision making that should be in the best interests of the team dynamic, that doesn't mean that in reality they won't be taken into account.

I think it is fair to say we should do look at what Mary selects and then select the opposite....

But really, the players will do / should do what is best for the team. If team continues to play poorly changes will have to be made and then it is a question on whether certain players will add more to the team then others and whether switching players positions will strengthen the team.

On a side note, if moylan or another gets selected over the dugan for NSW at FB, Willie want to move to centre then?

Phil9496

Juniors
IMO if we were going to thro widdop at fullback I think or best backlline would be
1.widdop 2. Nabuli 3. Aitken 4. The duges 5. Nighty 6. Marshall 7. At toss up between crook an hutcho surely one of these two hopefully both but I can see at least one of having a very successful career at our mighty red V
Thoughts?
Also from what I have been reading apparently rein has had a massive serving from marry an is on the verge of losing his spot lets hope this is the kick in the bum he needed

Surely Crook needs to get a look in. Cutters lose first two rounds and then carve up on the back of his performance against the bears. They sure benefit with him in the starting side.

Kuro

Juniors
On that, could someone provide a breakdown of Hutch and Crook?

What kind of halves are they?
Who looks to be the likely debut first?

BennyV

Referee
On that, could someone provide a breakdown of Hutch and Crook?

What kind of halves are they?
Who looks to be the likely debut first?

Hutch is more likely to debut first, is thought more highly of by the club. Very calm and good pressence on field. Got a bit more size than Crook. Pin point kissing and passing game, good vision and cool under pressure. I dont think hes the guy to pull out a match winning play, but can direct the team around the park. Also very solid in defense.

Crook, IMO, is the better of the pair, but spent a year out with an ACL injury and possibly fell down the pecking order from that. Before the injury, he was tearing up. Also has a good kicking/passing game and great vision, but strength is his running game, hes very quick. As a junior, was rated above Luke Brooks in the same age group (again, prior to injury). Great work ethic too from what I've heard. Definitely a more flashy player.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Crook go to another club, allegedly certain board members are using their weight in Cutters to keep Keating in the sude for some reason, and the kid is too good for park footy.

Kuro

Juniors
Thanks BennyV.

All things granted - they sound like an ideal halves pairing of the future.