What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Coaching Structure

Chipmunk

Coach
Fitzgibbon at the Roosters was reported as being on $350k, and they still have room to spare under any measure of cap. Amazing how they do it.

What cap are you referring to?

You can spend whatever you like on your football team. Perhaps we should ask the Leagues Club why its profits each year don't provide more money to the football team instead of wondering why other teams do.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Fitzgibbon at the Roosters was reported as being on $350k, and they still have room to spare under any measure of cap. Amazing how they do it.

No wonder the bloke doesn't want to go and be a head coach anywhere else

Plus would get all the other benefits of being there, career coach, physio, psychologist, free healthy meals etc...

Delboy

First Grade

You can spend whatever you like on your football team. Perhaps we should ask the Leagues Club why its profits each year don't provide more money to the football team instead of wondering why other teams do.
The NrL put a cap on football staff expenditure, not that i can be fu**ed to look it up, So that was behind my comment, similar to the cap they seem to operate for players.

Chipmunk

Coach
The NrL put a cap on football staff expenditure, not that i can be fu**ed to look it up, So that was behind my comment, similar to the cap they seem to operate for players.

As I recall, they were considering it but it has not been implemented. But what was proposed is not a cap, it's a fine system for those that want to actually spend more than the designated maximum amount. So let's say that the maximum amount is determined to be $3 million, you might want to spend $5 million, so the NRL fines you 25% of what you spend over $3 million. So, $750k in this example.

emjaycee

Coach
As I recall, they were considering it but it has not been implemented. But what was proposed is not a cap, it's a fine system for those that want to actually spend more than the designated maximum amount. So let's say that the maximum amount is determined to be $3 million, you might want to spend $5 million, so the NRL fines you 25% of what you spend over $3 million. So, $750k in this example.
$5.93m Football Operations Cap per club and the fine is 37.5%.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/01...n-may-avoid-the-next-great-coaching-upheaval/

Delboy

First Grade
So you think a billionaire chairman with handpicked mates on the board has nothing to do with extras. Clubs like Chelsea in the EPL operate under a similar structure, Roosters have got us all covered.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I wonder what Mick Potter did that was so bad to get punted? Given the latitude extended to our coaches its a wonder hes not in gaol.
So what happened to our "Skills Coach"? Cant remember the dudes name but he was talked up like he was the Jack Gibson of skills. Is he still around?
Ennis was involved at one stage but I read he had to make a decision, either The Eels or the 300klm drive to Canberra. He chose Canberra.
Two pre seasons ago we had Kimmorley working on our attack. Abracadabra hes gone. Nothing said and never to be seen again.
Lots of good stuff written about Ryan Carr assisting then appointed to coach our CC Team. PB (I think) said hes still around but is he ever seen game day or in the sheds.
Johns wont be back next year. Id put money on it. He was punted previously if I recall correctly.
Kidwell was appointed after Gentle left for whatever reason but not until we were without an assistant for at least 10 weeks, BA probably preferring to do that job himself. I think it might have been directly after the review?
When other teams "gun players" are injured they are regularly seen in the Coaches Box assisting on game day. Has that ever happened during BAs tenure. Again such players are not seen regulary in the sheds after the game.
I also recall The Bern stating that BA does not report to the GM of F. What the fu*k?
Just observations. Make of it what you will.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Currently $6.17M per year, having risen 4% per year from its introduction (at $5.7M) in 2018: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

However it's looking like being slashed to $5M for next year: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...shes-costs-by-80m-a-year-20200829-p55qh9.html

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It is 37% (so obviously not a true cap) and interestingly:

The 37% luxury tax is likely to increase in coming seasons as breaches in the AFL attract a fine equating to 75% of the amount by which a club has exceeded the football department cap.

Unlike the AFL model, clubs voted against distributing the luxury tax imposed for breaches of the football department salary cap among rival clubs.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I wonder what Mick Potter did that was so bad to get punted? Given the latitude extended to our coaches its a wonder hes not in gaol.
So what happened to our "Skills Coach"? Cant remember the dudes name
A former legend by the name of Ben Kusto. Came in a package deal with a sports psychologist named Carige.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interestingly enough the funds you pay to a sacked coached are included. No one seems to be too worried about the fine if that is the case.

$5.93 milllion seems like alot. I'm guessing that was an arbitary figure based on who spent the most?
It was $5.93M last year (the date of the article), which was the original $5.7M from the year before plus 4% annual increase. This year it is $5.93M + 4% ($6.17M).

But you're right, the original $5.7M was also arbitrary.

Avenger

Immortal
When other teams "gun players" are injured they are regularly seen in the Coaches Box assisting on game day. Has that ever happened during BAs tenure? Again such players are not seen regularly in the sheds after the game.
I also recall The Bern stating that BA does not report to the GM of F. What the fu*k?
Just observations. Make of it what you will.
He has had way too much autonomy for someone that has won sweet f**k all. It's like we owe him forever for staying around after we rorted the cap in 2016. And the reason why injured players aren't with him in the coach's box is his son was there instead. I remember that well. He should have been fined.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
He has had way too much autonomy for someone that has won sweet f**k all. It's like we owe him forever for staying around after we rorted the cap in 2016. And the reason why injured players aren't with him in the coach's box is his son was there instead. I remember that well. He should have been fined.
That was his reward for beating half of our lazy slugs in a pre-season 7km run.