What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Halves

caylo

Bench
Dunno Stagger. I think as he develops physically he could become a centre...

I think agree Pete... he is physically capable and he runs good lines so why not. He also showed his ability under the high ball when the melbourne players were using the short kick off.

lingard

Coach
I think Mortimer might be best suited to hooker. He's a tough little defender and his main strengths are his support play and his freakish instincts in broken play.

Although Humble played dummy half last night, I'm sure it was mostly because Mortimer has been playing and training in the halves for 12 months now. If Humble was a regular in the team I'd rather him in the halves with Mortimer at hooker.

The coaching staff know a lot more about the players than I do but then again, I was one of those who thought Robson should move to hooker.

So you might still be a genius like the rest of us? :lol:

yy_cheng

Coach
Centre, wow, never would've guessed it.

I reckon a hooker like PJ Marsh. Quick darts, occasional ball playing and kicking from dummy half.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So you might still be a genius like the rest of us? :lol:

I like to think so.

But really, anybody who's watched enough footy (and really paid attention) has a right to think they know something about the game.

However there's a lot we don't see from the stands because it comes out in talk on the field, or at training and so on.

Ultimately, second guessing the coaching staff is fair enough - we might even be proven right - but claiming we know better than them is a bit foolish.

yy_cheng

Coach
Where are all those wankers after we lost last week calling for us to piss off Morts & KK?

I'm here !!!

Look, I just don't think we can have Mortz and KK there long term. One or the other.
We need to look at getting a proper halfback to guide the team and get us field position with Kicks so that the brilliant backline can do their stuff.

Since Mortz is signed, KK has to wait. If we can't get a decent halfback, and KK signs elsewhere, Humble can take the 5/8th role next year.

However, if I had a choice, I would choose KK over mortz to play partner a good halfback.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think Mortimer might be best suited to hooker. He's a tough little defender and his main strengths are his support play and his freakish instincts in broken play.

Although Humble played dummy half last night, I'm sure it was mostly because Mortimer has been playing and training in the halves for 12 months now. If Humble was a regular in the team I'd rather him in the halves with Mortimer at hooker.

The coaching staff know a lot more about the players than I do but then again, I was one of those who thought Robson should move to hooker.

Yep totally agree. We know he is tough and has great defence. But the thing he has which would make him maybe one of the best hookers in the comp is his amazing speed of the mark and for 20 to 40 metres. Any half gaps with his speed would lead to many line breaks, plus he is very good on his feet !!!!!

If he was going to go to hooker I would give keating the 7. Maybe not the most skillfull player, but runs the ball hard, defends great , kicking game is good and doesn't appear to be scared to lead the side ( eg tell the forwards when to run, take charge, is very confident etc). Then Humble to 5/8

Craig Johnston

First Grade
i could digest;

7 ??? (hodko/orford/cronk etc)
6. kk
9. mortimer
14. humble

robbo - wenty in the bundy cup.

:D

Stagger eel

Staff member
Dunno Stagger. I think as he develops physically he could become a centre...

I think agree Pete... he is physically capable and he runs good lines so why not. He also showed his ability under the high ball when the melbourne players were using the short kick off.

e would really have to develop physically...

no way imo...

6, 7, 9 and 14 but definitely not centre..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
never will make it as centre !!! Look at Burt most likely has a better footy brain then Mortimer but nver looked comfortable as centre, due to his sizew which is the same as dan

ouchie

Juniors
Our pack won us the game last night but I want to make a special mention to KK and Mortz who IMO had their best game all year.

Mortimer: His kicking was much improved and was more selective. His passing aswell was better then it has been and while he is still along way-away from being a halfback he is slowly improving every week.

KK: I though his passing game before and after the line were at its best, plus he took on the line a few times and found GI and Finch. KK kicking game was very good, his bombs and long field kicks were very good and I only remember billy catching one ball on the full from a long range kick (KK kicked 30meters from his own line).

The most impressive thing is that KK and Mortz looked like they were playing as a halves partner rather then right and left exclusivly.

morts did way too many errors. As a halfback dats too many. His passing is poor- too many short balls NEVER CUT OUT ( passes too slow). And for the first time i saw morts throw a spiral cut out pass to tahu/burt and it spun ever so slowly. By the time it reached the hands of the winger or centre the D is already up in front of you, giving 1metre of space for tahu to \try do something out of nothing.

His dummy half pass once made us lose all our momentum- the ball went to ground before it even reached robson, and his cross field kicks are hopeless cos his feets are way too weak as it the ball cant even reach any heights at all.

IMO another poor game from morts as usual and from the above points = not what a halfback does.

Hayne to five eighth , KK to halfback.:)

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
I thought Morts's work off the ball was fantastic, always the first to the defence after a kick, really gave the ball carriers some stick..

his execution is still off but no one can doubt his competative streak.

his work off the ball is always fantastic...always first in from a kick chase etc tenacious for a little half in defence u can see he was watching robbo last year in the regard

natheel

Coach
morts did way too many errors. As a halfback dats too many. His passing is poor- too many short balls NEVER CUT OUT ( passes too slow). And for the first time i saw morts throw a spiral cut out pass to tahu/burt and it spun ever so slowly. By the time it reached the hands of the winger or centre the D is already up in front of you, giving 1metre of space for tahu to \try do something out of nothing.

His dummy half pass once made us lose all our momentum- the ball went to ground before it even reached robson, and his cross field kicks are hopeless cos his feets are way too weak as it the ball cant even reach any heights at all.

IMO another poor game from morts as usual and from the above points = not what a halfback does.

Hayne to five eighth , KK to halfback.:)

mate according to the stats morts made one error....i saw 2 but so many people o here expect him to set the world on fire this year, imo wont happen till mid next year, he is starting to get confidence etc he will come good im happy with him as our half, kk as our 6 on the other hand.....mmmmm humble thanks

p.s hayne is a fullback! if u put him at 6 he wouldnt have the effect from the back he does atm

caylo

Bench
e would really have to develop physically...

no way imo...

6, 7, 9 and 14 but definitely not centre..

I was talking about Humble not mortimer. There is zero chance I would ever play Mortz in the centres, he is half the size of Burt. Humble big enough and his defence is very good IMO, plus someone with his footwork and speed will be very important outwide and in defence it wont be any different to were he defends at 5-8 in reality (alot of 5-8 defend between the winger and centre).

Stagger eel

Staff member
I was talking about Humble not mortimer. There is zero chance I would ever play Mortz in the centres, he is half the size of Burt. Humble big enough and his defence is very good IMO, plus someone with his footwork and speed will be very important outwide and in defence it wont be any different to were he defends at 5-8 in reality (alot of 5-8 defend between the winger and centre).

well you responded to Pete who was refering to Morts not humble..

caylo

Bench
well you responded to Pete who was refering to Morts not humble..

I found it odd agreeing with Pete and now I know why. Sorry i miss understood Pete comments. Next year I wouldnt mind seeing

1 Hayne
2 Reddy
3 Humble
4 Tahu
5 Burt
6 KK
7 Morts

9 Robson

14 Mitchell

there are a few players who have made the transition from fullback or 5-8 into the centres. It is worth A try imo, what do you think Stagger?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade

Well it sounds like from all reports in this string and from what has eventuated on the field with his 3 visits to 1st grade thus far, T Humble is a Mr Fix It 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 14. Another Gidley.....???? please.... no no no no no. Going back over the last 30 years or so, there are very few Mr Fix Its that have excelled at the top level for ten years or so and realised their full-potential. It's ok in an emergency but Tom Humble needs his permanent spot in an an organised very well drilled outfit. Craig Wing and NSW's present Mr Fix it Gidley have never reached their full potential at the highest levels for many years because of all the shifting around going on year after year. This is why I don't want Gidley as Captain of the NSW SOO squad or even in the team because he is wobbly (the reverberations of too much moving around still echoing in his game).

Last edited:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Wow, the idea of Morts at hooker has really caught on.

My biggest critisism of Morts this year has been his slow service and predictable play. At hooker, if he carried those flaws in that position, we would be begging for Matt Keating to come back.

I think Morts could develop into the halfback that Burt probably should have been.

Latest posts