What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Kicking Game

holman

Juniors
If we are to win another Premiership with this current bunch our kicking game has to improve quite a lot. It is way below average and on the rare occasion of a good day it is nothing to rave about. I watched a replay of the 1990 G/f last night and Stuart and Alexander found the sideline with ease, we just seem to kick and hope for the best, there doesn't seem to be any plan to it. I reckon that is what beat us on Sat Night, in saying that thanks for a great year WESTS TIGERS.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
The other day I pulled out the 2005 GF DVD, the second or third kick in that match (by Prince) was straight into the in goal, and we forced a dropout.

:(

Juniors
hey holman, this is just my thoughts and I am not having a crack at you but I am not sure if you understand the game in this era but kicking the ball into touch is not what is needed in todays game, that was 20 years ago and no interchange.the game was slower and the ball needed to go into touch so the forwards could have a rest. A good kicking game constitutes putting the ball deep into the opponents area and giving a good chase trying to make your first tackle in goal or inside the ten metre line. your line sets for a big set of six in defense to force the opposition into a mistake or to make them kick from deep inside their own half of the field giving you better field position for your own set. I know we lacked that a few times this year but Benji is still maturing as a player and it is scary how good Farrah will get as the years go on. We have the talent there it just the execution week in week out that is needed.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
1. OP is 100% spot-on - kicking game was the difference last Saturday night. Every Dragons kick had purpose and their chase was always enthusiastic. Contrast that to ours where 3 times in the second half Robbie put in terrible kicks, and on the one occasion he put in a great kick, he was the only one chasing (much like Benji's 70 metre thump in the first half where a staggered line allowed Morris to get back outside the 20). These are the things that win tight matches.

2. Game may have changed since 1990, but a good kicking game (and following on from that, a good kick-chase game), is essential to success. As I've been saying for quite a while, our kicking game, and kick-chase, is most weeks poor and very occasionally acceptable. It is rarely good and never excellent.

N.C.

Juniors
Also, scrums were still contested back in those days, so any kick into touch meant a chance to get the ball back if your pack was wily enough. It also meant that the hooker and halfbacks were entirely different beasts, whereas these days most hookers are just halfbacks bending over and most halfbacks are just blokes who are pretty good at picking out a runner...

macnaz

Staff member
I thought Benji's kicking game had really improved , i also thought that a lot of Farah's kicks were very ineffective towards the backend of this season

N.C.

Juniors
We started to lose the battle for field position when Benji started kicking from first receiver. Prior to that, he seemed to be able to put the ball on the ground behind Boyd almost at will... The channel 9 team mentioned it at the time - that they kept bringing Boyd back towards the line by threatening to run the ball on the 5th, then kick it on the fly.

westie

Bench
Benji's form with the boot was exceptional toward to the end of the season. His distance has improved phenomenally.

Farah's normally good form declined. He scuffed a few, but even seemed to make bad decisions at times. I would go as far to say as bad kicks from each guy cost us two scoring plays from Illawarra, and thus the game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The game has changed dramatically since 1990, but kicking games have been very important, although changing slightly.

Todays game requires a kicker who can either turn the defenders around to collect the ball, force them to stand still to collect the ball (either by making it bounce, grubber, bomb etc) thus taking their momentum away from them and giving the defence more time to get down there and trap them deep in their own half.

We have kickers capable of doing this, but they lack the consistency required.

I'd like Benji and Farah to spend half their off season just kicking the ball at corners, driving it low and hard etc

If we can fix that aspect of our game dramatically, our forwards will annihilate their opponents defensively, purely by suffocating their attack and forcing the opponents to rely more heavily on the work of their forwards.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Benji's form with the boot was exceptional toward to the end of the season. His distance has improved phenomenally.

Farah's normally good form declined. He scuffed a few, but even seemed to make bad decisions at times. I would go as far to say as bad kicks from each guy cost us two scoring plays from Illawarra, and thus the game.
That's exactly what we were saying at the game, particularly about Robbie's second-half chip to nobody.

westie

Bench
The second he kicked it we turned to each other and said they'd go 100 mts. It cost us the game.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Yep. Was right in front of us. Chris Lawrence was hugging the side-line and they seemed to make eye contact but it was just such a horrible kick that even if it was a planned move, they had no chance. Meanwhile a line stacked to the right and a reasonably quick ptb should have resulted in our first line drop out of the night, at worst. That's footy I suppose.

Joecool

Juniors
Hey u guys listen to Holman for a change then go get a life at least that bloke knows whats going on u guys just blow wind up each others arses. nuff said

Joecool

Juniors
you wouldn't call me princess to my face ill assure you of that now!!:BDH::BDH::BDH::BDH::BDH:

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Whatever you reckon princess. Must be time for you to go and buy some love again for the weekend. Enjoy rosie.

Joecool

Juniors
What tiger hawk do you also post on the netball sites ,You really do need to get a life cuz .
Stick with what you know ..........not much........... reading all your crap posts now

NBA Off-Season / Summer 2010 Thought I'd start a thread for all the news and notes for the upcoming off-season. Get things started with a nice little whinge from Hedo....

Turkoglu - I Do Not Want To Go Back To Toronto

Interesting - maybe a trade with Orlando might come along.....VC returns to his spiritual home for Turkoglu and Reggie Evans?!

very gay article