What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our next fullback

Dion

Juniors
I don't believe Cody has the prototype body for the modern day fullback. Maybe I'm wrong but unless he fills out a fair bit (and he already has this season) he'd get monstered back there. The one outside who would be currently available would be Hynes from the Storm and I wouldnt have an issue if we signed him.
If that is the case, why are we playing him on the wing and in the centres?
I thought he defended pretty well against some accomplished ball runners on Sunday.
You can't say he was monstered.
I 'm not sure what a prototype body for fullback means but this guy has 4 attributes that makes him an excellent candidate.
1. Safe under the high ball.
2. Excellent positional play.
3. Reads the play well and is a solid defender.
4 Most importantly - he is lightning quick.
You may be right but until they give him a good go in his preferred position, we will never know.

Illusion

Bench
If that is the case, why are we playing him on the wing and in the centres?
I thought he defended pretty well against some accomplished ball runners on Sunday.
You can't say he was monstered.
I 'm not sure what a prototype body for fullback means but this guy has 4 attributes that makes him an excellent candidate.
1. Safe under the high ball.
2. Excellent positional play.
3. Reads the play well and is a solid defender.
4 Most importantly - he is lightning quick.
You may be right but until they give him a good go in his preferred position, we will never know.
The difference between Cody and Dufty is Cody is everything agressive off the ball and defending .... Thats what Duff is laking at this stage ..... Cody is pumped if he makes a tackle or forces someone over the side line ..... IMO Cody will be fine where ever he plays and will get better as time goes on .....

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I don't believe Cody has the prototype body for the modern day fullback. Maybe I'm wrong but unless he fills out a fair bit (and he already has this season) he'd get monstered back there. The one outside who would be currently available would be Hynes from the Storm and I wouldnt have an issue if we signed him.

Hynes is relatively slight in build as well.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The difference between Cody and Dufty is Cody is everything agressive off the ball and defending .... Thats what Duff is laking at this stage ..... Cody is pumped if he makes a tackle or forces someone over the side line ..... IMO Cody will be fine where ever he plays and will get better as time goes on .....

I read somewhere that Cody was meant to be on a special regime to gain weight at the end of last season-obviously didn't happen. Billy Slater was a good example of someone who got stronger where it mattered (shoulders and hips) and didn't lose any speed but Cody and Duff seem to have slightly different body types and may struggle to keep the weight on.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I read somewhere that Cody was meant to be on a special regime to gain weight at the end of last season-obviously didn't happen. Billy Slater was a good example of someone who got stronger where it mattered (shoulders and hips) and didn't lose any speed but Cody and Duff seem to have slightly different body types and may struggle to keep the weight on.

Exactly my point.

True_Believer

Juniors

I agree re: Cody. I just don't see him being a long term solution. Defensively he might be a better option than Dufty at the moment, but I still haven't seen anything to indicate this positional play is better or that he reads the game better. We haven't seen any attacking flair except for speed - but I'd argue Dufty is faster and more elusive. There's breaks and trys that Dufty has scored this year that I don't think we get if Cody is fullback. He hasn't made an impact on any game that he has played in. His hitups are a wasted tackle (just like Dufty). There's just nothing to indicate he is an improvement on what we have.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and want to see him do well. But I'm OK to leave him on the wing for the time being going by what I've seen.

Old Timer

Coach
Look at the evolution of JAC to see what can happen to spindly, gangly thin quick kids.

If Ramsey can in anyway follow that programme we will have a cracking good player.

Sometimes is is time alone that gives you the result in respect of body shape.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We have 3 fullbacks coming through our system.

Tyrell Sloan - already in the DS
James Schiller - now playing KOE cup, but can play centre or wing
Treigh Stewart - playing JF and some experts say he's very good.
(Coincidence that all 3 have surname starting with S).

Sloan and Stewart probably fractionaly ahead of Schiller atm (imo).

Warriors blooded their 18yr old fullback last weekend and if Dufty isnt in our plans, I'd like to see 1 (or more) given an opportunity later in the seasonnin 1st grade. Yes, both Stewart and Schiller would have to be contract upgraded to do so, however, without extending Dufty, I don't believe paying huge $$ for a 'troubled' current 1st grader is the right way, because other clubs have already noticed these guys and are waiting on our long term situation.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Jebus..

Once again we’re replacing the guy who’s replacing the guy who’s replacing the guy who’s the current fullback..

BLM01

First Grade
Cody did In the off season he said so himself
He us up to high 80’s now