What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our next fullback

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I will be watching the SG Ball GF today and keeping a sharp eye on young Sloan, particularly positional play and defense. Yes, it's SG Ball level, however, you can only play whats put in front of you.

It's noted that our KOE Cup team has a 'part-timer' (Tony Pellow) as our current fullback.

If he's good enough then why go searching around for an over-priced star? The Roosters certainly think their 17yr old is just about ready, so why then wouldn't we consider our own 18yr old?

As for Dufty, he's our incumbent fullback, it's up to him to earn a further contract extention. It's not up to anyone to replace him.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I will be watching the SG Ball GF today and keeping a sharp eye on young Sloan, particularly positional play and defense. Yes, it's SG Ball level, however, you can only play whats put in front of you.

It's noted that our KOE Cup team has a 'part-timer' (Tony Pellow) as our current fullback.

If he's good enough then why go searching around for an over-priced star? The Roosters certainly think their 17yr old is just about ready, so why then wouldn't we consider our own 18yr old?

As for Dufty, he's our incumbent fullback, it's up to him to earn a further contract extention. It's not up to anyone to replace him.
The fact we have some good but not yet ready fullbacks coming through in Ramsey, Sloan for example leads me to believe that should we look elsewhere in terms of Dufty we should probably target a solid veteran with a year or two left to help mentor the young guys and add some stability at the back. I don’t really know who that would be but that would be the way I would go unless there was an out and out superstar available.

j0nesy

Bench
Or move our playmaking fullback to 5/8 and get a solid fullback that helps put us in positions where we can score points more often.

I’d like to see him given a go at 5/8th at some stage, but honestly I don’t think suits the position. Having Less room to move, and making more tackles per game will probably not suit him.

mickeylane

Bench
This could possibly happen in 2021 due to Griffiths connection w all involved .

1. Milford
2. Rava
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsay

6. Moylan
7. Hunt

Dufty and Norman out ..

possm

Coach
This could possibly happen in 2021 due to Griffiths connection w all involved .

1. Milford
2. Rava
3. Lomax
4. Bird
5. Ramsay

6. Moylan
7. Hunt

Dufty and Norman out ..
Milford is a risky buy, just like Norman was. Surely we can buy a top-line fullback from the cap saved by not extending Norman and Williame. Dufty to weave his majic off the bench.

TruSaint

Referee
Seriously? Milford and Moylan?

tenor.gif

mickeylane

Bench
Seriously? Milford and Moylan?
It’s known that coaches like recruiting player’s they know especially when a coach is on a short term deal and has to price him self.. I think Hook has worked out that Dufty and Norman are not really up to it albeit they are both trying . I think hooks thinks he can get the best out of Milford and Moylan even though he was the one that let him go. at the Panthers he did make him his captain there which showed the respect he had for him.. I would take Moylan over Norman at $500k and Milford is twice the player of Dufty - he’s just unfit and out of confidence .. I do think that one of these guys w be w us next year ..

redv13

Bench
It’s known that coaches like recruiting player’s they know especially when a coach is on a short term deal and has to price him self.. I think Hook has worked out that Dufty and Norman are not really up to it albeit they are both trying . I think hooks thinks he can get the best out of Milford and Moylan even though he was the one that let him go. at the Panthers he did make him his captain there which showed the respect he had for him.. I would take Moylan over Norman at $500k and Milford is twice the player of Dufty - he’s just unfit and out of confidence .. I do think that one of these guys w be w us next year ..
Moylan can’t string together 3 games without breaking down with injury. I wouldn’t even take him for 300k

The calm one

Juniors
I will be attending the forest tomorrow to pay Owen a visit. I will provide information on the fullback saga if any is forthcoming.

Crush

Coach
Not sure why you say that about Norman.
Hook has been nothing but complimentary about Norman so far this season, he seems to be a bit of a favourite.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Not sure why you say that about Norman.
Hook has been nothing but complimentary about Norman so far this season, he seems to be a bit of a favourite.
His patience will wear thin. I guess he’s set a personal challenge to get him firing but soon enough he’ll realise what we all do.

mickeylane

Bench
His patience will wear thin. I guess he’s set a personal challenge to get him firing but soon enough he’ll realise what we all do.
Exactly !! Hook shown his hand last week by giving Bird a chance at 5/8.. didn’t have to do that as Clune was readily available .. he wanted to hire his 6 options especially in a big game ., where theres smoke there’s fire and Norman is under the pump!! The 2 troublesome spots we have in our roster is 1 and 6. If we can all see it u can imagine the coaching staff can definitely see it as well and are trying to find answers if not for this season then for 2022.. I can’t see Hook hanging his job prospects on Sloan or Ramsay replacing Dufty for the 1 spot nor do I see Hook hanging his job on young Bud or Clune for 6.

redv13

Bench
Exactly shown his hand last week by giving Bird a chance at 5/8.. didn’t have to do that as Clune was readily available .. where there smoke there fire . The 2 troublesome spots we have in our roster is 1 and 6. If we can all see ig u can imagine the coaching staff are trying to find answers if not for this season then for 2022
If our current 1 and 6 are troublesome then I guarantee you MILFORD and MOYLAN are NOT the answer!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Exactly shown his hand last week by giving Bird a chance at 5/8.. didn’t have to do that as Clune was readily available .. where there smoke there fire . The 2 troublesome spots we have in our roster is 1 and 6. If we can all see ig u can imagine the coaching staff are trying to find answers if not for this season then for 2022
Maybe, or there’s also the possibility that he wasn’t that keen on Clune! Few defensive lapses the previous week and didn’t want him exposed to the Roosters edge runners early.

Last edited:

RedVee

First Grade
Exactly !! Hook shown his hand last week by giving Bird a chance at 5/8.. didn’t have to do that as Clune was readily available .. he wanted to hire his 6 options especially in a big game ., where theres smoke there’s fire and Norman is under the pump!! The 2 troublesome spots we have in our roster is 1 and 6. If we can all see it u can imagine the coaching staff can definitely see it as well and are trying to find answers if not for this season then for 2022.. I can’t see Hook hanging his job prospects on Sloan or Ramsay replacing Dufty for the 1 spot nor do I see Hook hanging his job on young Bud or Clune for 6.
I read it as Hook pairing Norman with a running 5/8 in order to challenge him to own the game.
He did for about 20 mins and reverted to shite for the next 60. Fail.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If our current 1 and 6 are troublesome then I guarantee you MILFORD and MOYLAN are NOT the answer!

Exactly:

My thoughts are that both Dufty and Norman are playing for contracts and have been told such (imo). Play well consistently and get a new deal. This deal maybe the same type as what Reynolds was offered ie: 1 yr.

Sloan may well become our fullback, as might Stewart or even Schiller and throw in Ramsey (although I think wing is his spot), but to literally throw money away on problems from another club, is McGregor like.

Many teams are backing their young stars to do the job, we should be looking to do the same.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I think someone believes we should have a team of players whose names start with 'M' :thinking:

Continuing the theme of M, it also might have something to do with the "Moneyball" agenda the Dragons recruitment team are reported to be pursuing with other clubs paying part freight for Bird, McGuire, Faamasili, McCullough and Alvaro while Burns didn't cost a cent after a straight swap for Blacker. Our salary cap has effectively been boosted by over a million dollars.

Latest posts