What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our next halfback should be...

schnitzel

Juniors
Ben Roberts. Was super impressed with his first half, good long and short kicking game, totally outshined Kimmorley (Dugan's speedhump). This guy is clearly not in the Dogs plans as they have bought Hodkinson and Keating for 2011. He has all the skills but also the odd brain explosion although seems to be maturing nicely. Get on the phone Furner~!

typicalfan

Coach
Except McCrone played all over him. You have got to be kidding, Ben Roberts is a 5/8 or nothing at all.

McCrone should be ok as long as the Raiders look to give Andrew Johns a more full time role with him and Campese.

schnitzel

Juniors
Just trying to be constructive. Cheaper than Kimmorley, lots of years left as a player and there's no one else. I disagree that Roberts was outplayed by McCrone, he was the dominant player in the first half and the Dogs couldn't hold the ball in the second half so he didn't get many opportunities.

typicalfan

Coach
Didn't Canberra score their second half tries while Kimmorley was off the field? And when he came back on the tries dried up?

Kimmorley might not be flashy but he does keep his side in the contest. Been a flat year for the Dogs I think he has actually been ok this year behind a mediocre forward pack.

aussies1st

Staff member
Roberts is too hot and cold, wouldn't even rate his short kicking game. Don't know if I want another 5/8 playing halfback either.

CGD

Juniors
Didn't Canberra score their second half tries while Kimmorley was off the field? And when he came back on the tries dried up?

Kimmorley might not be flashy but he does keep his side in the contest. Been a flat year for the Dogs I think he has actually been ok this year behind a mediocre forward pack.
Brett Kimmorley is the bane of Canberra's existance. The only way we were going to win was by sending Dugan out there to injure him. We're lucky Dugan is half man, half machine, otherwise he probably would've died on such a mission.

Raider Azz

Bench
McCrone played better than Roberts on the weekend.

McCrone is our long-term option at fullback. Deal with it.

typicalfan

Coach
I think though if they go with McCrone they should at least try and find someone to challenge him for his spot to keep his performances up. Penrith gambled on Luke Walsh and it worked, he was a third string halfback at the time.

shear_joy9

Coach
should have been dobson.

the guy is in amazing form at the moment and would be one of the best goal kickers in the world.

Cryptic

Juniors
Croker isn't exactly kicking poorly... In fact his kicking has been out of this world.... Dobson? Really?

Bulldog Force

Referee
Ben Roberts. Was super impressed with his first half, good long and short kicking game, totally outshined Kimmorley (Dugan's speedhump). This guy is clearly not in the Dogs plans as they have bought Hodkinson and Keating for 2011. He has all the skills but also the odd brain explosion although seems to be maturing nicely. Get on the phone Furner~!
Roberts isn't going anywhere guys. Keating has been bought to play a utility role more than anything else. Roberts is also a five-eighth not a halfback (he's played a handful of games in the 7 though). Our play-making plans for 2011 will be:

1. Barba

6. Roberts
7. Hodkinson

9. Ennis

14. Keating

shear_joy9

Coach
Croker isn't exactly kicking poorly... In fact his kicking has been out of this world.... Dobson? Really?

out of this world? Well that's quite an exaggeration.

Dobson's rated as one of the world's best goal kickers.

You obviously haven't seen him play for quite a while.
He currently has the second most try assists in the super league this season along with the most attacking kicks and 40/20's.

His defence has greatly improved as he's matured as a player.

Cryptic

Juniors
It's not really that much of an exaggeration, he has been getting really hard kicks from the sideline consistantly... I would love someone to actually put goal kicking stats together with difficulty... Anyone can kick 10 from 10 in front of the sticks...