What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our pack 2014

RABK

Referee
I wanted to start a discussion to specifically address members opinions on the make up of our pack in 2014 for three main reasons.

• We have one of the best 3 backlines in the comp, our 1-7 is set
  • Our pack polarises opinion because it has some great strengths but glaring weaknesses
  • Those weaknesses are the only thing stopping us from been a genuine top 4, premiership winning team

The strengths and weaknesses are both pretty obvious. Toughness, experience and defensive commitment vs lack of flair, inconsistent punch up the middle and the hooking role. The strengths will only get better next year as the younger guys in our side and the team as a whole experienced finals success together. That melbourne game will do wonders for our belief next year.

With the weaknesses Packer will aid us immensely in providing go forward up the middle. Like Snowden he is not afraid to take the first hit up of every set to provide a platform for other forwards to work on, it will do wonders for both of them to have each other backing each other up. They both attract 2-3 defenders each run and often get quick play the balls. Having two players provide this will help us roll through teams and expand to our potent backline. There will be no shortage of players putting their hand up for an easy 10-15m run after a Snowden or Packer charge.

I see Gidley as our starting hooker next year, and as any regular here knows i am one of his strongest critics. He can not play in the halves, it's simply an abortion. I however think if he can purely focus on distribution, the occasional scoot and RARE kick from dummy half i think he can be a great asset at hooker. I have no issue with his defence bar his injuries been a liability. If we can keep Gidley on the park and he plays smart, with Clydesdale nutured into more minutes as the season progresses i don't think we necessarily lose overall with Buderus retirement. Gidley has heart like Buderus and is a leader, what he lacks in Bedsy's football brain he makes up for with enthusiasm. He has shown, evein in Origin, at hooker he can put that enthusiasm to good, measured use.

The lack of flair is the big one. What is flair? Most would think of an Ali Lauitiiti, Sonny-Bill Williams or Frank Pritchard type is what we lack but that's a very stereo typical view of 'flair'. To me flair is variety - basically the opposite of Dan Tolar. Ryan Hoffman and Aidan Guerra are forwards with flair, their footwork and line running are suberb and give headaches to their opposition. Glenn Stewart and Feleti Mateo have flair, their ball playing is slick and up with the best halves. Anthony Watmough and Sam Thaiday have flair, they use footwork and link well with their outside man to create overlaps or holes for themselves - the opposition has to make decisions when they run.

As it stands we wil go into 2014 with this been our biggest issue. The return of Snowden and Cuthbertson + the addition of Packer will help somewhat as all are known to possess a handy offload and some second phase always has it's place, even in Bennett ball. However this isn't the real issue as the lack of offloads was a tatic. Bennett obviously thought the best strategy was to simply reduce the errors to an absolute minimum so we win the field position battle on the back of Mullens boot and maximize our posessesion in the oppositions 30m zone where our backline could strike. All well and could but it often failed at the last hurdle which brings me to what i think, and a lot here also seem to agree, is our biggest weakness. The lack of flair in our edge backrowers.

To say we are weak in our edge backrowers is almost harsh such is the efforts of Scott and Rochow this year, but there is sadly some truth to it. They simply don't offer enough questions of the opposition with the ball or hand or one pass from them. No footwork, ball playing, line running. Rochow has shown some here and there but not enough to commit defenders. Alas 90% of our attacking plays in the oppositions 20m are shutdown because the opposition can spread effectively to cover us man for man.

So am i suggesting we drop rochow or scott? No. But i think two forwards next year need to be playing wide in attack, especially in the oppositions 30m, and that is McKinnon and Mason. Whether that means in defence McKinnon and Mason continue to play tight but in attack they move outwide so be it. They are the two forwards i see that can pose a genuine threat due to footwork, ball playing and line running and make the opposition ask questions 'do i drop off him and spread or do i jam up in on him'. Ask them that question 10 times a game and they will get it wrong a couple of times. At the moment there is no question with Rochow or Scott, it's simply jam up in on them for an effective shutdown. The tries we score outwide are the result of either Boyd, Roberts or Mullen producing great passes to create overlaps. We would be so much more potent anywhere on the field if it didn't require a perfect pass to make a break but also simply giving a fringe runner early ball and letting them try their hand.

8. Snowden
9. Gidley
10. Packer
11. Rochow
12. Scott
13. Smith

14. Clydesdale
15. Mason
16. Cuthbertson
17. McKinnon

So after a 500 word essay and naming a pack that 80% of people would name, whats my point? We don't have a lot of weaknesses but our largest is a fixable one from the stocks with got. No huge changes, just when Mason and McKinnon are on the park simply push them right and left respectively and tell them to run outside mullen or roberts and give them an option so you ask questions of the opposition line. I think Mason is wasted as a battering ram and so is McKinnon. People might think once Snowden and/or Packer are subbed we will lose punch especially if we push big boppers wide, but effective fringe running thins the ruck which will give Gidley, Boyd, Smith, Mullen and Roberts opportunity back up the middle.

We've got the defence to hold out our line and the punch and boot to win the field position battle. It's time we take full advantage of our potent backline to murder teams outwide ala Manly, Melbourne and The Roosters.

Last edited:
I am just commenting because I would feel bad if I didn't after all the effort you went to writing that.

Good read though. I agree.

We are a quality dummy half away from the title. Many folk more expert than me are in agreement. I feel Wayne puts too much faith in manufacturing one and Kurt is not a natural dummy half. He is a competent one. No more. No less. At the end of the day Bedsy was 35. He was all heart but his speed had certainly deserted him and we just lost that dummy half yard pinch which many clubs use to exploit holes in the ruck. Case in point is Jake Friend killed us last weekend.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I think we can win a comp IF we have quality direction around the ruck. Hence we desperately need a very good hooker. I also hope we have depth to cover our centres/wingers and fullback positions. Kevvy is a massive loss imo. The bloke is a great player and it will piss me off if I see a Penrith squad run out each week without him named.

We finished the year off really well but looking at other squads that will line up in 2014 the task to make the 8, and the top 4, will be even harder. I know all teams are in the same boat but I see quite a few clubs with massive potential to drastically improve on their 2013 finishing position. The Cowboys, Raiders, Broncos and Bulldogs should all improve on what they have done this year and should have the potential to finish better than they did this year. The top 4 from this year should all hold their spots when looking at their squads and coaching structures.

aqua_duck

Coach
Gids needs to work with Bedsy the entire pre season, analyse tape, work on distribution and learn the position from scratch. Gid's biggest problem is he doesn't play what's in front of him, he premeditates and once he's decided on what he's going to do the blinkers are on. He needs to be able to sense when to run, when to pass and when to go open side or blind side, he also needs to realise its not all about him anymore, Mullo is the main man now and Gids needs to recognise that

I honestly think we are two star props away from being title threats.

Aside from Snowden and Packer, there are massive question marks over the rest of our props.

I really think Mason next year will be bench quality at best.
Faaolongo is a poor mans Mason in the same situation.
Tets and Cuthbertson are borderline first graders.
Simms and Toka potentially could be huge for us, but are still probably 3-4 years away.

Backrowers next year we have them comming out of our arse, McKinnon and Rochow are future guns and for the next season Smith, Houston and Scott will be great I reckon.

Frederick

Staff member
I don't agree that Cuthbertson is a borderline first grader. I'd have him in my top 17 every week

TooheysNew

Coach
Yeah I agree. He is really our only genuine option at second phase play. That was one thing that killed us in the Roosters game. They were effectively getting 7 tackles every set, because Williams was offloading so late - meaning whoever took the offload was running at a retreating defensive line, with up to 4 defenders preoccupied with completing the tackle of Sonny Bill.

Jono078

Referee
I just want to comment on Clydesdale. I think it's going to be a massive breakout season for him. Kinda like Robbie Farah 2005 I'm thinking.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I think we can win a comp IF we have quality direction around the ruck. Hence we desperately need a very good hooker. I also hope we have depth to cover our centres/wingers and fullback positions. Kevvy is a massive loss imo. The bloke is a great player and it will piss me off if I see a Penrith squad run out each week without him named.

We finished the year off really well but looking at other squads that will line up in 2014 the task to make the 8, and the top 4, will be even harder. I know all teams are in the same boat but I see quite a few clubs with massive potential to drastically improve on their 2013 finishing position. The Cowboys, Raiders, Broncos and Bulldogs should all improve on what they have done this year and should have the potential to finish better than they did this year. The top 4 from this year should all hold their spots when looking at their squads and coaching structures.

Fair point and its the case every year. Personally I think the Doggies massively over achieved last year and this year went about the way they should of. I don't see improvement in them just more of the same. Same with the Broncos but they may take advantage of their preferential scheduling and sneak in to the 8 but I dont think so, Cowboys will improve for sure as they now have a decent hooker on the way. Raiders wont make the top 8 ( a culture cant be changed over night and I see a few ruffled feathers in Sticky's first year) , Panthers will be the big movers next year, the Storm will start to slip somewhat as will the Roosters who will have a 2013 hangover and have trouble backing up next year. Either way it really does depend on an infinite amount of possibilities, I think we will be big movers next year and finish in the top 4 if we can fill the dummy half role.

Yosh

Coach
I think we're covered in the halves with Dobson and if Gower stays we'll have him and Gidley is an okay 3rd or 4th option.

Packer is a great signing. I think House really deserves some raps because he played really well up the middle.

Spot On

Coach
Fair point and its the case every year. Personally I think the Doggies massively over achieved last year and this year went about the way they should of. I don't see improvement in them just more of the same. Same with the Broncos but they may take advantage of their preferential scheduling and sneak in to the 8 but I dont think so, Cowboys will improve for sure as they now have a decent hooker on the way. Raiders wont make the top 8 ( a culture cant be changed over night and I see a few ruffled feathers in Sticky's first year) , Panthers will be the big movers next year, the Storm will start to slip somewhat as will the Roosters who will have a 2013 hangover and have trouble backing up next year. Either way it really does depend on an infinite amount of possibilities, I think we will be big movers next year and finish in the top 4 if we can fill the dummy half role.

Yeah I failed to mention the Panthers. Have a very good squad and depth for next year. Big movers.

Haffa

I just want to comment on Clydesdale. I think it's going to be a massive breakout season for him. Kinda like Robbie Farah 2005 I'm thinking.

I hope so because I don't think Kids is reliable enough to win us anything at Hooker, he'd need to change his instincts and I just don't see that happening.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I hope so because I don't think Kids is reliable enough to win us anything at Hooker, he'd need to change his instincts and I just don't see that happening.
It's hard to know what goes on within the team and what he actually does bring to the team, but from the outside it appears Gids as a foot soldier with a lot of heart , I dont see him as a great leader in terms of team direction and decision making, rather I see him as inspirational in terms of the way he plays. He shouldnt be in a position where he's able to make decisions. If Mullen stays Captain and Gids shares the hooking role with Clydesdale ( assuming he's able to step up next season ) it could work out. Perhaps a shared Captaincy where Gids could be the off field Captain for media commitments etc and Mullen is the on field General

Packer will be a great addition.
I think our Pack needs to work more as a pack in attack similar to what it can do in defense. Getting a co-ordinated attack from them with support and back-up play is the key I think. They need to work mre as a unit in attack.
Bedsy has been a leader and motivator for the forwards and takes the aside pre game. He will be severely missed. if Gids takes on Hooker then he needs to step into that role with input from Bedsy and give Mullen the same roll with the backs.
Mullen as Captain for me.
Gids could still retain a "Club Captain" role in some respects. Mullen needs to be the general out there.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Packer will be a great addition.
I think our Pack needs to work more as a pack in attack similar to what it can do in defense. Getting a co-ordinated attack from them with support and back-up play is the key I think. They need to work mre as a unit in attack.
Bedsy has been a leader and motivator for the forwards and takes the aside pre game. He will be severely missed. if Gids takes on Hooker then he needs to step into that role with input from Bedsy and give Mullen the same roll with the backs.
Mullen as Captain for me.
Gids could still retain a "Club Captain" role in some respects. Mullen needs to be the general out there.

The issue I have with Mullen, is that he rarely keeps the refs honest like the majority of other captains out there. He's more likely to cop poor decisions on the chin, then contest them. Also from what I've heard, he's a leader in actions, not in words. It would be good to have a captain that can do both. If Gidley is our starting hooker, then I'm happy for Gidley to have the captaincy again. The major issue comes down to how many games he'll miss in 2014 due to injury.

perverse

Referee
I reckon the refs almost punish Gids with penalties sometimes. There's a fine line between sticking up for the team as a captain and whinging your tits off at the refs. Gids goes both ways on occasion.

To be hoenst I'm not a big fan of arguing with the refs in general. It rarely, if ever, works out in your favour... and the reality is you need to be a good enough team to ignore a bad decision and just get on with winning anyway. I quite like how Mullo deals with the refs, to be honest.